The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

40 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I love the Canes organization and everything they stand for. Can seriously see them finishing 1st in their division this season. 

Between Aho (a 40-goal guy with a computer for a brain), Teravainen, Svechnikov, Trocheck, Slavin, Hamilton, and Necas (the sophomore no one is talking about), they have an unbelievable team.

And to your point, they have a great prospect pool! 

They're my #2 team behind the Canucks.

Same here! I have a few Canes jerseys now, liked them since they drafted E. Staal and have followed them ever since. So happy they have been doing well the last few yrs.

I love Aho and Svech (the jerseys I got), and am a big Trocheck fan as well (hoping he can find his prior success from Florida). Their D i stacked too with Slavin and Hamilton leading the way.

The only thing I hate seeing is them not grabbing a proper goalie! Like they had one job this offseason with so many teddies available! My dream was to see Marky go there once I knew he wasn't signing with the nucks. I think that would have made them legit cup contenders.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I remember Oilers fans were not happy with that pick at the time.

The reason being he had a suspect defensive game which they didn’t need more of.

Granted I love to bash anything Oilers, Broberg is injured. That being said I admit seeing him make those power moves were worth my 14$ TSN subscription.  Oddly enough I haven't watched a full game except for the Russian games. Could be my Eastern Euro roots winning over my Dutch\French? Or could be the Borscht and Honey cakes I had today? 

Watched the full game again tonight. Wow, Podz can really dish the puck. I said it a few pages back, get him with some trigger men and look out! I even said a few months ago put him with Petey and Miller and he will blossom and I stand behind that 100. He seems to so often just make the "right smart play" if you will. He constantly fights for the puck along the boards and most times comes out with the puck. Like his discipline this tourney, I know some are disappointed he isn't mixing it up and is pulling his guys out from the pile but this is the world juniors it isn't about rough stuff. In the NHL Podz isn't backing away he'll be right in there with his teammates. Right now it speaks to his maturity he is willing to let things go to help the team stay out of the box. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Granted I love to bash anything Oilers, Broberg is injured. That being said I admit seeing him make those power moves were worth my 14$ TSN subscription.  Oddly enough I haven't watched a full game except for the Russian games. Could be my Eastern Euro roots winning over my Dutch\French? Or could be the Borscht and Honey cakes I had today? 

Olivie and shuba salad for New Years :towel:

1 hour ago, Outsiders said:

Watched the full game again tonight. Wow, Podz can really dish the puck. I said it a few pages back, get him with some trigger men and look out! I even said a few months ago put him with Petey and Miller and he will blossom and I stand behind that 100. He seems to so often just make the "right smart play" if you will. He constantly fights for the puck along the boards and most times comes out with the puck. Like his discipline this tourney, I know some are disappointed he isn't mixing it up and is pulling his guys out from the pile but this is the world juniors it isn't about rough stuff. In the NHL Podz isn't backing away he'll be right in there with his teammates. Right now it speaks to his maturity he is willing to let things go to help the team stay out of the box. 

Podkolzin’s vision and passing ability also has me thinking about playing him at left wing, on a Podkolzin-Horvat-Boeser line.

I think that combo has a ton of potential.

Not that I don’t like the lineup options that use him at RW.

I just have this feeling that Podkolzin and Boeser could be deadly together.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 2

7 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

Pod's skate came up and caught him in the family jewels. I hope that wasn't intentional. There was a lot of sneaky accidentally on purpose stuff in this game.

The way Podkolzin's leg was stretched looked like he was avoiding a groin or knee injury to me, tbh. You feel something get stretched a bit too far, and the body just reacts to it. 

But yes, there was a lot of little dirty plays throughout. Nice to see our 2 prospects talking about being roommates in Van. Never knew how much of a pest Costmar is, I like it :lol:

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

Pod's skate came up and caught him in the family jewels. I hope that wasn't intentional. There was a lot of sneaky accidentally on purpose stuff in this game.

no way thats intentional. Even Burr wasn't that skilled to nut a guy falling down doing the splits. 

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I remember Oilers fans were not happy with that pick at the time.

The reason being he had a suspect defensive game which they didn’t need more of.

its going to be like our fan base with the Tkachuk Juolevi "controversy". 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

It could be 10 points if anybody on the russian team could finish even 25% of the caviar that Podkolzin is giving them... 

looked up the stats, he's got 17 shots so far along with all the other things he's doing. Benning must be thrilled. 

• Cheers 3

17 hours ago, J-P said:

He he that's a nice take on it... I guess we'll find out a lot about Zegras/Podz/Costmar the two upcoming games which will be interesting. Points are not really the main issue though, remember Petey being kind of less than elite in his tourney because of linemates or whatever, but still think it will give a clear indication on what level each player is on.

“Petey’s being less than elite in his tourney” Petey had 7 points in 7 games, 5 of them goals and tied for team lead. The Swedes lost to Team Canada in the finals. Not sure what “less than elite” means in that context.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

“Petey’s being less than elite in his tourney” Petey had 7 points in 7 games, 5 of them goals and tied for team lead. The Swedes lost to Team Canada in the finals. Not sure what “less than elite” means in that context.

I was furious that Petey played behind Lias Anderson that tourney, he was clearly the best player.  Legit though Lias Andersons dad was coaching.

Even in this bipolar market people will truly come to appreciate VP as an all around player and a true difference maker. The subtleties to his game at this age is astonishing which makes him a  serious  candidate for  Vancouvers top two lines. When the dam finally bursts open for Podzy  it’s going to be fun to watch. 

What are the historical comparables for Podkolzin? It’d have to be players with the same playing style and output/60 minutes and adjusted for differences in league difficulty.  Ultimately  I personally believe  Vasili is going to have a distinguished career. Wait and see. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Even in this bipolar market people will truly come to appreciate VP as an all around player and a true difference maker. The subtleties to his game at this age is astonishing which makes him a  serious  candidate for  Vancouvers top two lines. When the dam finally bursts open for Podzy  it’s going to be fun to watch. 

What are the historical comparables for Podkolzin? It’d have to be players with the same playing style and output/60 minutes and adjusted for differences in league difficulty.  Ultimately  I personally believe  Vasili is going to have a distinguished career. Wait and see. 

Kadri is a comparable I thought of the other day.