The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

26 minutes ago, oldnews said:

What a great game. 

Two really enjoyable styles of hockey to watch - nice to see Larionov going back to Russian hockey roots (which you could probably safely call the origins of 'possession' hockey).

So much for the premature sandbagging of Podkolzin around here - (which had a certain "shoulda taken Nichushkin" odor to it).

He'll make a great fit here.  Aside from all the great tools he possesses - the thing I like most about him is how steady/level-headed he appears - really carries himself with humility.

And what a beauty Costmar is.   Hard working, highly skilled pest that is always in the heart of the play - and in spite of being surrounded by 'stars' on that Swedish team, all things considered it's hard to consider him second to any of them.  Looks like the Canucks may have themselves a next-generation Honey Badger/Burr type.

Great showing for both these guys last night.

To my way of thinking players should be called the way it is. If they play a good game you state that. If he has a lousy game you state that. The fact that Podzolyn did as well as he did and against good competition is encouraging but to be fair almost every poster here bitches about Virtanen being inconsistent ad nausea. Well Podkolzyn hasn't exactly turned up for every game. We have to be consistent ourselves and our assesment

3 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

To my way of thinking players should be called the way it is. If they play a good game you state that. If he has a lousy game you state that. The fact that Podzolyn did as well as he did and against good competition is encouraging but to be fair almost every poster here bitches about Virtanen being inconsistent ad nausea. Well Podkolzyn hasn't exactly turned up for every game. We have to be consistent ourselves and our assesment

I think podz has been very consistent. Consistency is not about points. It’s about effort and showing up. The problem I see with many Vancouver fans is they equate consistency with getting points every night, or on a regular basis. Players can play very consistently and not be rewarded on the score board. Ie Bo played extremely consistently as a rookie and his D1 year, but he didn’t put up a lot of points. Burr and Kesler, Same. The issue is effort, playing hard on the puck, going to the dirty areas, doing what it takes to win and CONTRIBUTING, which ever way you can to help the team win, even if you’re not getting points. 

Podz definitely did and does that. The issue with Virtanen has been, even if he’s not scoring he can contribute and change the game. I think most fans would be estatic if only scored 15 goals a year but played like a young Tom Wilson (ex the fighting) night in night out and hit and intimidated, but he doesn’t. If Jake’s not “on”, he doesn’t do anything, and that’s the consistency issue that people worry about, not the game sheet.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

To my way of thinking - if you don't watch a game you have literally no idea whether they had a "lousy" or good one - and therefore aren't really in any position to "call it the way it is".

Here's a thought just call what you see, it's not difficult. AND keep in mind the opposition. Last night was a great test for Podkolzyn and he came through with flying colours. Let's just hope the rest of his games will be the same. It's an element of the game you must take notice of. This shouldn't be about dreams, it's a business

Edited by Fred65

3 minutes ago, Millsy said:

I think podz has been very consistent. Consistency is not about points. It’s about effort and showing up. The problem I see with many Vancouver fans is they equate consistency with getting points every night, or on a regular basis. Players can play very consistently and not be rewarded on the score board. Ie Bo played extremely consistently as a rookie and his D1 year, but he didn’t put up a lot of points. Burr and Kesler, Same. The issue is effort, playing hard on the puck, going to the dirty areas, doing what it takes to win and CONTRIBUTING, which ever way you can to help the team win, even if you’re not getting points. 

Podz definitely did and does that. The issue with Virtanen has been, even if he’s not scoring he can contribute and change the game. I think most fans would be estatic if only scored 15 goals a year but played like a young Tom Wilson (ex the fighting) night in night out and hit and intimidated, but he doesn’t. If Jake’s not “on”, he doesn’t do anything, and that’s the consistency issue that people worry about, not the game sheet.

You're right it isn't or shouldn't always be about point but it is about being impactful within the game. Guess what if a player goes AWOL that's not good

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

What is it you "see" when you don't watch a game?

Cheap shot

So I missed a game, some times I just have better things to do,  I don't sit glued to the TV. The point I made was it's easy to look good against a far inferior opponent and I'll stick to that. You may think blasting Austria is a sign of greatness, I don't .... but hey every one to their own measure of success.

Edited by Fred65
  • Wat 1

15 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

You're right it isn't or shouldn't always be about point but it is about being impactful within the game. Guess what if a player goes AWOL that's not good

Well McKenzie basically said the same as me, and he’s more of an expert than you or I. Podz didn’t go awol if you actually consider what I said on how players contribute. It appears you have an axe to grind on Podz. I see that often on boards, people unwilling to be objective. Podz is not Bure, he’s not going to get you out of your seat every night. You say you get it, but then suggest him doing the hard things to try and win, are considered going “awol”. Again, either you don’t watch the games closely, at all, or have an axe to grind, so be it. 

he’s not Bure, but if he’s Bo 2.0 and it seems he is, I’m good with that. 

cheers 

Edited by Millsy

2 minutes ago, Millsy said:

Well McKenzie basically said the same as me, and he’s more of an expert than you or I. Podz didn’t go awol if you actually consider what I said on how players contribute. It appears you have an axe to grind on Podz. I see that often on boards, people unwilling to be objective. Podz is not Bure, he’s not going to get you out of your seat every night. You say you get it, but then suggest him doing the hard things to try and win, are considered going “awol”. Again, either you don’t watch the games closely, at all, or have an axe to grind, so be it. 

he’s not Bure, but if he’s Bo 2.0 and it seems he is, I’m good with that. 

cheers 

I have no bias, that would be dumb allowing emotions to cloud your judgement, objective sure I'd plead guilty to that ... in fact that's the entire thrust of what I'm saying. Too many become cheerleader rather than being objective  IMHO

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Nobody cares if you missed a game.

The issue is you missed a game, but felt ok venturing your opinion on how a guy played, even though you did not watch that game.

Simple really.

Well as I recall my post was centred around who the opponent was, I fact I raised the point that Newhook getting two goals against Germany counted for very little either( in the same post )

37 minutes ago, Millsy said:

Boeser this past season was an example of that was well. He was a bit snake bitten (for him) offensively but he was playing FAR better defensively, battling, back checking etc. Helping the team win.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, Millsy said:

VP's arrival starts a tolling of the death knell for Jake.

Unless he demonstrates consistency he'll be gone before the beginning of 21/22 season.

Sure liking Costmar:canucks:

Edited by Cat Man
Add Costmar shoutout.
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

What a great game. 

Two really enjoyable styles of hockey to watch - nice to see Larionov going back to Russian hockey roots (which you could probably safely call the origins of 'possession' hockey).

So much for the premature sandbagging of Podkolzin around here - (which had a certain "shoulda taken Nichushkin" odor to it).

He'll make a great fit here.  Aside from all the great tools he possesses - the thing I like most about him is how steady/level-headed he appears - really carries himself with humility.

And what a beauty Costmar is.   Hard working, highly skilled pest that is always in the heart of the play - and in spite of being surrounded by 'stars' on that Swedish team, all things considered it's hard to consider him second to any of them.  Looks like the Canucks may have themselves a next-generation Honey Badger/Burr type.

Great showing for both these guys last night.

Costmar has looked okay,

but I do think this is pretty much his ceiling, I would be surprised to see him make it up to the NHL level. 

I would love to be proved wrong though 

• Wat 1