The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Just now, GoCanucks16 said:

We really don't know the severity of the injury at this point. Anything could happen.

I think hes saying that due to multiple factors not just the injury.

Theres khl playoffs

Then contract talks

Then quarantine 

Then practice (not sure if green will just throw him in the lineup)

Then his health

All these stars have to align by april 8th (47 days) for him to play a game with us this year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, GoCanucks16 said:

His contract expires on April 30th. You're right.

actually, apparently his contract expires after the world championships (May 21 - June 6); although there's a very real possibility, owing to covid, that that tournament does not take place.

Edited by GoCanucks16

6 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Theres khl playoffs

Then contract talks

Then quarantine 

Then his health

All these stars have to align by april 8th (47 days) for him to play a game with us this year.

ahh- i didn't consider the quarantine. the soonest he can come to canada would be april 30 (if the stars align) and we're set to play our last regular season game on may 8. so yeah, distinct/likely possibility that he doesn't suit up until next year considering we're so far outside the playoff rush.

2 hours ago, GoCanucks16 said:

actually, apparently his contract expires after the world championships (May 21 - June 6); although there's a very real possibility, owing to covid, that that tournament does not take place.

His KHL contract expires on April 30. If he is called up to the national team for the world championship, there would be another contract with Russian Hockey Federation.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Theres khl playoffs

Then contract talks

Then quarantine 

Then his health

Benning has stated they are signing him the day the possibly can. The thing I'm worried about is his KHL team not releasing him

3 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Benning has stated they are signing him the day the possibly can. The thing I'm worried about is his KHL team not releasing him

They don't have a choice once his contract expires.

The issue we have next however is the World's as mentioned by Stierlitz here:

6 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

His KHL contract expires on April 30. If he is called up to the national team for the world championship, there would be another contract with Russian Hockey Federation.

Especially as we don't appear playoff bound. We'll likely sign him shortly after that and play him next season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 2/20/2021 at 8:16 PM, GoCanucks16 said:

Thought the Worlds had been confirmed by the IIHF with them saying they can easily turn it into a bubble environment.  

On 2/20/2021 at 10:55 AM, debluvscanucks said:

Damn concerned for him and for us, hope nothing "lingers".    

Definitely need to take the appropriate amount of time with these things to properly assess them.  Let him sit and fully recover.  

I would be totally ok with him just taking it easy until training camp this year. I think that’s in the Canucks interest not sure it’s in the interest of his current team though 

While I’m sure we all want him back playing as soon as possible, it’s somewhat encouraging to see that he’s still being held out, now one week post-concussion, especially after that confusing “three days” statement initially. 

Pretty clear now that Podkolzin and SKA are actually following concussion protocols, and not using some dodgy “one size fits all” three day recovery window.

I don’t like seeing him injured and out of the lineup, but at least it appears that he won’t return to game action until he’s fully recovered from his concussion, is free of symptoms, and gets medically cleared—which is a good thing.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 2/20/2021 at 9:56 AM, 73 Percent said:

I could be wrong but I dont think his contract expires until the league year has ended. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

It doesn’t expire yet, but it is relatively common for young players to be released from the KHL once their team’s

season is done.  It is how we got Tryamkin.

Not sure if it will be the case here.  Benning has certainly stated a couple of times that he will try to sign him the day after his contract expires and not wait until next year.

25 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

I wonder if Pods agent Igor Larionov would be able to persuade SKA to release him after there season ends. Even if its only a few days or weeks earlier.

Igor Larionov has official contract with Russian Hockey Federation as the head coach for the national junior team and one of the coaches for the Russian national team. He is not an agent anymore, since September 2019.

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

While I’m sure we all want him back playing as soon as possible, it’s somewhat encouraging to see that he’s still being held out, now one week post-concussion, especially after that confusing “three days” statement initially. 

Pretty clear now that Podkolzin and SKA are actually following concussion protocols, and not using some dodgy “one size fits all” three day recovery window.

I don’t like seeing him injured and out of the lineup, but at least it appears that he won’t return to game action until he’s fully recovered from his concussion, is free of symptoms, and gets medically cleared—which is a good thing.

If his next hockey game is here and he's 100%, I doubt anyone would mind, I know I wouldn't.