The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

10 hours ago, AV's Coin said:

you think Bo has an elite shot though? I have never considered his shot better than average

Maybe it is only average. I'm basing it on the fact that since the start of last season, including playoffs, Bo is 22nd in the league in goals. Kind of seems like maybe it's better than average to me.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Clearly ... his shot is now where near NHL caliber or Boeser's level. The guy can barely get the puck on net and rarely ever shoots directly. Where on earth do you go to find such odd opinion I can't even imagine.

The conversation was about whether Podz shot is NHL caliber.  Now it's morphed into comparing his shot to Boeser, who clearly has an elite NHL shot.  That's quite a leap.

Regardless, I have never really considered Podz to be a sniper; he seems more like a playmaker.  I think he will a big contributor in team wins. The other aspects of his game are what will make him a special player on our team. 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

The conversation was about whether Podz shot is NHL caliber.  Now it's morphed into comparing his shot to Boeser, who clearly has an elite NHL shot.  That's quite a leap.

Regardless, I have never really considered Podz to be a sniper; he seems more like a playmaker.  I think he will a big contributor in team wins. The other aspects of his game are what will make him a special player on our team. 

Exactly. I found that claim absurd. He isn't known for his shot making ability, it's his desire, compete level, and ability to do everything well that's enticing. That's like saying Petterson could take on Lucic in a fight, cause you know ... he's awesome!

I think he's awesome, much like a Christopher Robbie I once knew who played on this team. :towel:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Clearly ... his shot is now where near NHL caliber or Boeser's level. The guy can barely get the puck on net and rarely ever shoots directly. Where on earth do you go to find such odd opinion I can't even imagine.

You guys are taking this way too far lol. 

All I said was his shot isn't up to nhl standards. 

Stop putting words in my mouth. I've never once said its "nowhere near" nhl caliber. I never said "he can barely get the puck on net". I never said "he rarely ever shoots". 

Grow up a bit and maybe we can have a discussion like adults. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2
  • RoughGame 1

18 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

You guys are taking this way too far lol. 

All I said was his shot isn't up to nhl standards. 

Stop putting words in my mouth. I've never once said its "nowhere near" nhl caliber. I never said "he can barely get the puck on net". I never said "he rarely ever shoots". 

Grow up a bit and maybe we can have a discussion like adults. 

I'm agreeing with you.

Sorry. I guess I wasn't clear. He doesn't have a Boeser type shot but he's a helluva hockey player.

It don't think he's a shooter though, he's more of a drive to the net, or set up a teammate guy than an Ovechkin, take a shot every chance you get player.

Edit: You know that was a double post. If you go back a page and look I was actually trying to quote Dazzle and reference you with the @ but it double quoted me. When I look back I come off as a sarcastic bitch. :P Haha, nice but not my intention. Carry on ... pick it up to 76% ... you deserve it. ;)

Edited by Gawdzukes

31 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm agreeing with you.

Sorry. I guess I wasn't clear. He doesn't have a Boeser type shot but he's a helluva hockey player.

It don't think he's a shooter though, he's more of a drive to the net, or set up a teammate guy than an Ovechkin, take a shot every chance you get player.

Edit: You know that was a double post. If you go back a page and look I was actually trying to quote Dazzle and reference you with the @ but it double quoted me. When I look back I come off as a sarcastic bitch. :P Haha, nice but not my intention. Carry on ... pick it up to 76% ... you deserve it. ;)

I honestly thought you were being sarcastic.  My bad man.

I see exactly what you do though. He does so much well but I dont think hes ever going to be a guy that can constantly rip them over glove hands. His shot will not dictate how good of a player he will be. Look at our all time pts leader. Greatest canuck ever, hank. Terrible shot lol.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

46 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm agreeing with you.

15 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I see exactly what you do though. He does so much well but I dont think hes ever going to be a guy that can constantly rip them over glove hands. His shot will not dictate how good of a player he will be. Look at our all time pts leader. Greatest canuck ever, hank. Terrible shot lol.

Exactly to all of this. All I said was that I wanted to see Pod on a line with two of our elite shooters. He is such a great forechecker and already looks like an elite playmaker that having two others on his line that can absolutely rip the puck (at a level I don't think he will ever get to) and yes, he does have an NHL level shot in my opinion, I just don't think he will ever be as good as Boes or Petey, that it would be a lethal combo and give us two high scoring well balanced lines.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, higgyfan said:

When you drive with the puck to the net, just how good a shot do you need?

• Upvote 1

I think it's a joke that a bunch of guys can say his shot is nowhere near Boeser, as if you could açcurately reference the shots and gauge their speed/weight. All I'm saying is that the claims about his shot being nowhere near elite is stupidly premature.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I think it's a joke that a bunch of guys can say his shot is nowhere near Boeser, as if you could açcurately reference the shots and gauge their speed/weight. All I'm saying is that the claims about his shot being nowhere near elite is stupidly premature.

Exactly.  Let's give him 30 games and 30 SOGs and see if his shot can ovempower NHL goalies, before we pass judgement

• Cheers 3

6 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I can see both sides of the coin. On one hand, I think when he has time/space, he can make a good shot that looks elite at times. But when he doesn't have that time/space, I personally find it underwhelming. He is good at getting pucks on net, but you don't normally see him picking corners or beating the goalie clean. I think this is a byproduct of his playstyle though as he doesn't necessarily seek out time/space. He seeks out contact and dirty areas, driving the net, etc. A lot of his goals are through the goalie, not by the goalie if that makes sense?

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

You've never judged a player before playing 30 games in the nhl? Not even once?

I think he means that we should be giving players adequate time (subjective to people) before passing judgement.

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

You've never judged a player before playing 30 games in the nhl? Not even once?

With me it's love at first sight, the sky's the limit, until disappointment and let downs start happening. I started off in these boards being a huge Sanguinetti fan, then Sbisa and Vey, and, yes, even Pouliot. (To my credit, I never did get enamoured about Megna or Chaput) but I still think poor Loui gets a bum rap on these boards

Happy Leonardo Dicaprio GIF by Jordan Belfort

11 minutes ago, Googlie said:

With me it's love at first sight, the sky's the limit, until disappointment and let downs start happening. I started off in these boards being a huge Sanguinetti fan, then Sbisa and Vey, and, yes, even Pouliot. (To my credit, I never did get enamoured about Megna or Chaput) but I still think poor Loui gets a bum rap on these boards. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

With me it's love at first sight, the sky's the limit, until disappointment and let downs start happening. I started off in these boards being a huge Sanguinetti fan, then Sbisa and Vey, and, yes, even Pouliot. (To my credit, I never did get enamoured about Megna or Chaput) but I still think poor Loui gets a bum rap on these boards

I wish I was more like you^^^^^. 

I grew up a Winnipeg Jets, circa 1970s, fan and as a kid/teenager, thought that David Babych was going to be the second coming of Denis Potvin...Morris Lukowich was going to be the next Mike Bossy...Scott Campbell the next Larry Robinson, Pokey Reddick the next Grant Fuhr, Normand Dupont the next Pierre Larouche...Jim Kyte, Scott Arniel, Brian Mullen, Andrew McBain, Pat Elynuik all stars in the NHL. None of that happened.  Only superstar in waiting that panned out was Dale Hawerchuk (and I had moved to Vancouver right after university by the time Teemu Selanne joined the Jets).  All others, albeit respectable NHLers, ended up being pretenders.

I have high hopes for all young Canuck prospects, but as I have gotten older (much older), I find that I like to be surprised (so thank you - Demko, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes).

Like good ol' Willie used to say, the NHL is a show me league, and until a player is able to do it, he can't (paraphrasing).