The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

14 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

That probably won’t be true either (that we will get an accurate measurement) and after watching Hoglander, I’m not that sure if I care. If he has some measure of the will and try of Hogs along with top 10 in draft skill, everyone will be happy tIl we don’t have Virtanen to kick around.

I would just be happy with a giant version of hogz

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Just have to wait for him to be either officially fully cut from the roster or for the WC to end. No big deal, he will get signed and be over here playing big minutes and impressing fans next season.

robert eggers patience GIF

Cringe No GIF

1 hour ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Just have to wait for him to be either officially fully cut from the roster or for the WC to end. No big deal, he will get signed and be over here playing big minutes and impressing fans next season.

robert eggers patience GIF

I think Sterlitz pointed out we can sign Pods now.  

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

I would just be happy with a giant version of hogz

I see Pods as a bigger Alex Burrows.  They even have a similar, bent over, skating style.  He’s got that Burrows never quit attitude too.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Sterlitz pointed out we can sign Pods now.  

Yes, technically we can sign him now but I'm fairly certain the plan is to just let him focus on contributing (supposed to be playing) for his team for the WC and then sign him once he's done.

It's the same approach Benning used with Pettersson, Boeser, Demko, Gaudette, Hughes and other prospects, let them focus on what they are doing and finish out all of their playing obligations before negotiating a contract. Demko especially made it a point to say how much he respected and appreciated JB for taking that approach in getting him signed, as well as leaving Demmer alone for a couple of weeks after getting eliminated from the Frozen Four to allow him to cool down and process it all.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Yes, technically we can sign him now but I'm fairly certain the plan is to just let him focus on contributing (supposed to be playing) for his team for the WC and then sign him once he's done.

It's the same approach Benning used with Pettersson, Boeser, Demko, Gaudette, Hughes and other prospects, let them focus on what they are doing and finish out all of their playing obligations before negotiating a contract. Demko especially made it a point to say how much he respected and appreciated JB for taking that approach in getting him signed, as well as leaving Demmer alone for a couple of weeks after getting eliminated from the Frozen Four to allow him to cool down and process it all.

He is all finished now. The Russian team for the World Championships was just announced and he was left off so he is officially done.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

He is all finished now. The Russian team for the World Championships was just announced and he was left off so he is officially done.

Which is strange that it changed so quickly, this was the Russian team's statement yesterday:

The management group of the senior Russian national team has confirmed the list of players who will travel to Riga, Latvia for the 2021 IIHF World Championship:

Goalkeepers: Ivan Fedotov, Alexander Samonov.

Defensemen: Vladislav Gavrikov, Grigory Dronov, Nikita Zadorov, Artyom Zub, Alexei Marchenko, Nikita Nesterov, Igor Ozhiganov, Ivan Provorov, Rushan Rafikov.

Forwards: Dmitry Voronkov, Maxim Shalunov, Konstantin Okulov, Anton Slepyshev, Mikhail Grigorenko, Anton Burdasov, Artyom Shvets-Rogovoi, Vladislav Kamenev, Evgeny Timkin, Alexander Barabanov, Ivan Morozov, Emil Galimov, Pavel Karnaukhov, Sergei Tolchinsky, Andrei Kuzmenko.

Anton Slepyshev is the captain, with his assistant captains having been named as Anton Burdasov, Mikhail Grigorenko, Igor Ozhiganov, Artyom Zub, Vladislav Gavrikov, Alexei Marchenko, Evgeny Timkin, Konstantin Okulov and Maxim Shalunov.

Furthermore, goalkeeper Ivan Bocharov and forwards Ilya Safonov and Vasily Podkolzin will train with the team in the bubble in Riga, but they will stay out of the roster for the time being. Defenseman Kirill Kirsanov and forward Kirill Marchenko will train in Riga in accordance with individual training programs.

26 players will be registered for the tournament, with spaces for one goalkeeper and one forward being left open.

And they only have 27 of the 28 player roster named as well.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
Additional content

35 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Which is strange that it changed so quickly, this was the Russian team's statement yesterday:

The management group of the senior Russian national team has confirmed the list of players who will travel to Riga, Latvia for the 2021 IIHF World Championship:

Goalkeepers: Ivan Fedotov, Alexander Samonov.

Defensemen: Vladislav Gavrikov, Grigory Dronov, Nikita Zadorov, Artyom Zub, Alexei Marchenko, Nikita Nesterov, Igor Ozhiganov, Ivan Provorov, Rushan Rafikov.

Forwards: Dmitry Voronkov, Maxim Shalunov, Konstantin Okulov, Anton Slepyshev, Mikhail Grigorenko, Anton Burdasov, Artyom Shvets-Rogovoi, Vladislav Kamenev, Evgeny Timkin, Alexander Barabanov, Ivan Morozov, Emil Galimov, Pavel Karnaukhov, Sergei Tolchinsky, Andrei Kuzmenko.

Anton Slepyshev is the captain, with his assistant captains having been named as Anton Burdasov, Mikhail Grigorenko, Igor Ozhiganov, Artyom Zub, Vladislav Gavrikov, Alexei Marchenko, Evgeny Timkin, Konstantin Okulov and Maxim Shalunov.

Furthermore, goalkeeper Ivan Bocharov and forwards Ilya Safonov and Vasily Podkolzin will train with the team in the bubble in Riga, but they will stay out of the roster for the time being. Defenseman Kirill Kirsanov and forward Kirill Marchenko will train in Riga in accordance with individual training programs.

26 players will be registered for the tournament, with spaces for one goalkeeper and one forward being left open.

And they only have 27 of the 28 player roster named as well.

That is strange.  From their Twitter page they only listed 26 and no announcement of who is in the bubble. I don’t know if teams are carrying any sort of taxi squad but you would kind of assume so.

8D4BA862-3FD7-4AB9-880A-44A5090F041A.jpeg

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

That is strange.  From their Twitter page they only listed 26 and no announcement of who is in the bubble. I don’t know if teams are carrying any sort of taxi squad but you would kind of assume so.

8D4BA862-3FD7-4AB9-880A-44A5090F041A.jpeg

27 actually. If you click on the pic of the roster you can see that Ivan Bocharov is announced as the 3rd goalie on the official roster.

I think Podkolzin is actually going to Riga and will be training with the team like the statement says, he just won't get to play at all, which I'm ok with. A little more high quality training and getting ice time with some actual NHL pros in practice to help him see what he's got to work on in the off season before coming to training camp in the fall

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

I see Pods as a bigger Alex Burrows.  They even have a similar, bent over, skating style.  He’s got that Burrows never quit attitude too.  

He definitely has that Burrows never say die attitude. But I see him as a more intimidating player capable of punishing the opposition, plus his play making skills are exceptional. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BarnBurner said:

He definitely has that Burrows never say die attitude. But I see him as a more intimidating player capable of punishing the opposition, plus his play making skills are exceptional. 

In a couple three years we just might be all looking back at the Pods draft and thinking this kid was top three.  He’s going to be really good for us.  Burrows plus. :canucks:

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Im more hype about Zegras tbh. 

You're not in the wrong for thinking so. Zegras is quite the phenom. We were one OTL loss less away from being able to draft him (typical Canucks :lol:).

Podz is worth getting excited over though. He will bring plenty of value to our lineup. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Im more hype about Zegras tbh. 

Elite skill for sure... Anaheim will be building around him, very much how we are building around Petey.  However, for this team, I'd argue that Podz will ultimately be more valuable.  His skill set is exactly what this team needs to be more well rounded.  When all is said and done, Zegras may end up being just as talented or even more so than Petey but Podz is one of a kind and his grit and non stop elite motor will be integral to getting us to the Cup and hopefully win it.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

In a couple three years we just might be all looking back at the Pods draft and thinking this kid was top three.  He’s going to be really good for us.  Burrows plus. :canucks:

We'll see how it all plays out, but I think you're right. I've said it before, I think there are going to be 9 teams regretting not picking him. 

Edit: Btw, not saying there aren't other good players, but Podz is like a bull in a China shop. The main thing is to play him with the right linemates.

Edited by BarnBurner
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Very possible, many had him ranked top 3, but he slid because of his commitment to the KHL for a couple of years.

Really looking forward to seeing what he can do in camp next season.