The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

On 5/20/2021 at 4:36 PM, Me_ said:

326 pages and still hasn’t played a game.

No pressure, kid.

I believe the player thread to reach the most amount of pages before making their NHL debut is the Olli Juolevi thread. That thread had reached 703 pages before Juolevi made his NHL debut.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I love Hoglander but Podkolzin>Hoglander. I just can’t see Podz starting on the 4th line. The guy does everything you want youngsters to do and he’s got enough skill to play in a top 6. Maybe Hoglander being established has a top 6 spot to lose so maybe Podkolzin starts on the 3rd line. But I see him earning a spot in the top 6. Pearson getting demoted to the 3rd line on the 1rst year of his extension.

Podkolzin may have a higher ceiling than Höglander but it may take him some time to get there. I think both players are going to be very good additions for the Canucks. That being said, I stand by my opinion that he will not start in the top six but will start on the 4th line and probably move to the 3rd line by Christmas. His style of play is more in line as a checking forward that has the skill to play up and down the lineup depending on where the need is the greatest. If Travis decides to go with 3 scoring lines then he will will be in the mix in the top nine.

8 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I believe the player thread to reach the most amount of pages before making their NHL debut is the Olli Juolevi thread. That thread had reached 703 pages before Juolevi made his NHL debut.

I was wondering how much the Shirokov thread got lol. 

33 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Podkolzin may have a higher ceiling than Höglander but it may take him some time to get there. I think both players are going to be very good additions for the Canucks. That being said, I stand by my opinion that he will not start in the top six but will start on the 4th line and probably move to the 3rd line by Christmas. His style of play is more in line as a checking forward that has the skill to play up and down the lineup depending on where the need is the greatest. If Travis decides to go with 3 scoring lines then he will will be in the mix in the top nine.

I see him starting on the 3rd, and working his way up to the 2nd, unless they get another proven top six scoring winger this offseason. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RichieCanuck said:

I was wondering how much the Shirokov thread got lol. 

want to have your mind blown? he's 35 years old now. 

it feels like maybe 3 years ago that he was preseason gretzky.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Damn.

I think Juolevi breaks out next year.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I love Hoglander but Podkolzin>Hoglander. I just can’t see Podz starting on the 4th line. The guy does everything you want youngsters to do and he’s got enough skill to play in a top 6. Maybe Hoglander being established has a top 6 spot to lose so maybe Podkolzin starts on the 3rd line. But I see him earning a spot in the top 6. Pearson getting demoted to the 3rd line on the 1rst year of his extension.

He will start in top 6 like Hoglander did... Put in position to succeed and putting him with 4th liners you won't see his true talent..

Podkolzin 19, 6'2, 215, lead his KHL team in playoffs  15GP -- 11 points and we all know how tough playoff hockey is ..

Plays 200 foot game, very gritty, hard working, lots of talent... 

NHL 2021 -22  - GP 75 -- G 18 -- PTS 38-- 42 points -- 

Podkolzin  would of been a top 5 pick if he wasn't Russian and not knowing arrival to North America...

• Cheers 4

I agree, except that maybe we are now talking about top 9 roles. 

If Green indulges Miller, we have 3 centers - Bo, Petey and JT.   With chemistry as a guide, pairings would suggest Pearson with Bo and Boeser with Petey.   Hoglander played well with Miller these last few games.   Lind was auditioning for Bo's line, and didn't look out of place, so let's start with Bo between Pearson and Lind.

Unless an UFA is picked up, or a minor trade, we're looking at 2 of Podkolzin, Roussel, Highmore, Motte and Lockwood.  I think Highmore plays with Miller and Podz with Petey and BB06,  at least to start the season until Lockwood gives a few more looks.

I'm fine with renewing Graovac as a 4th line center.  With Lockwood and Motte that would be a real energy line (or with Zack and Podz would be a heavy, hard- checking line)

But JB says he is looking to acquire a skilled, middling, scoring player  -  he obviously doesn't think Lind, Highmore et al is that player (or he sees Podz as a 4th liner to start)

18 minutes ago, Googlie said:

If Green indulges Miller, we have 3 centers - Bo, Petey and JT.   With chemistry as a guide, pairings would suggest Pearson with Bo and Boeser with Petey.   Hoglander played well with Miller these last few games.   Lind was auditioning for Bo's line, and didn't look out of place, so let's start with Bo between Pearson and Lind.

Unless an UFA is picked up, or a minor trade, we're looking at 2 of Podkolzin, Roussel, Highmore, Motte and Lockwood.  I think Highmore plays with Miller and Podz with Petey and BB06,  at least to start the season until Lockwood gives a few more looks.

I'm fine with renewing Graovac as a 4th line center.  With Lockwood and Motte that would be a real energy line (or with Zack and Podz would be a heavy, hard- checking line)

But JB says he is looking to acquire a skilled, middling, scoring player  -  he obviously doesn't think Lind, Highmore et al is that player (or he sees Podz as a 4th liner to start)

Exactly the way I see it.

We have three good centers why go out and spend cap on one when we need to upgrade our D and wings?

Blank Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Blank

Hoglander Miller Blank

Basically we have three holes in our top 9 that would need to be filled with a combo of rookies, UFAs and a trade.

I think it’s safe to assume Podkolzin will be penciled into one of those spots. Maybe we go out and sign one of Saad, RNH, or Schwartz to fill a left wing hole. Then have another rookie like Lind or Gadjovich surprise in camp.

One example:

Saad Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Podkolzin 

Hoglander Miller Lind

Looks way more balance and it’s nice to do a lineup without Sutter. No offense to Sutter and I would welcome him back as a fourth line center on a cheaper contract, but he just doesn’t bring enough offense to the third line.

• Cheers 2

52 minutes ago, Googlie said:

He needs a better 3rd line, top 9 scoring...More speed...

1. Miller  - Petey - Hoglander

2. Podkolzin - Horvat -- Boeser

3.  _______  -  _______   -- Pearson

4. Highmore - ____   - Motte  -----Lind, Gadjovich  6'2, MacEwen 6'3, Bailey 6'4, (( Lockwood - Speed))

I really think Roussel could be bought out..-- Beagle LTIR 3 million ? Erickon - Abbotsford --Virtanen??????

34 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We have three good centers why go out and spend cap on one when we need to upgrade our D and wings?

Blank Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Blank

Hoglander Miller Blank

Basically we have three holes in our top 9 that would need to be filled with a combo of rookies, UFAs and a trade.

I think it’s safe to assume Podkolzin will be penciled into one of those spots. Maybe we go out and sign one of Saad, RNH, or Schwartz to fill a left wing hole. Then have another rookie like Lind or Gadjovich surprise in camp.

One example:

Saad Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Podkolzin 

Hoglander Miller Lind

Looks way more balance and it’s nice to do a lineup without Sutter. No offense to Sutter and I would welcome him back as a fourth line center on a cheaper contract, but he just doesn’t bring enough offense to the third line.

Pearson not a top 6 forward.. Maybe 13--15 mins a game guy..

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2

So what’s going on with Podkolzin at this worlds championship? It looks like he’s NOT on the main roster he’s only on the TAXI squad. So he’s not going to be playing any games.

anywho looking forward to seeing him at Canucks training camp.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Blank Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Blank

Hoglander Miller Blank

One example:

Saad Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Podkolzin 

Hoglander Miller Lind

I'm  totally on board with the idea of using Miiller as a permanent 3rd centre in order to spread out our attack.  The only change I would make to your suggestions is to ensure that every line has one player who is good along the boards and can dig the puck out for the other two.  Horvat always has Pearson, and Miller doesn't need that from a winger, since he does it himself. For that reason, I think Podkolzin really has to play with Pettersson  and Boeser, which would make for a very exciting line!

23 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

So what’s going on with Podkolzin at this worlds championship? It looks like he’s NOT on the main roster he’s only on the TAXI squad. So he’s not going to be playing any games.

anywho looking forward to seeing him at Canucks training camp.

Russia has only filled 26 of their 28 slots (still need a forward and a 3rd goalie).  They are waiting till the end of the 1st playoff round to see if any NHL vets might be interested.  If not, then 2 will be brought up from the pool.  Podkolzin still might be the forward who is brought in

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Russia has only filled 26 of their 28 slots (still need a forward and a 3rd goalie).  They are waiting till the end of the 1st playoff round to see if any NHL vets might be interested.  If not, then 2 will be brought up from the pool.  Podkolzin still might be the forward who is brought in

They are silly for not inviting him sooner. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I'm  totally on board with the idea of using Miiller as a permanent 3rd centre in order to spread out our attack.  The only change I would make to your suggestions is to ensure that every line has one player who is good along the boards and can dig the puck out for the other two.  Horvat always has Pearson, and Miller doesn't need that from a winger, since he does it himself. For that reason, I think Podkolzin really has to play with Pettersson  and Boeser, which would make for a very exciting line!

If Miller is playing C then you can bet Petey isnt