The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

48 minutes ago, tas said:

I think (and hope) podkolzin will become a good player, but my guess is offense will be slow to come next year despite an otherwise solid performance and the next raging debate that makes me want to bash my head into a wall will be "shoulda drafted caufield!"

People are impatient here so I'm fully expecting the "he's a bust" crowd to chime in if that's the case.   

There are "ifs" in all picks/prospects which only becomes glaring for some if WE pick them.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

People are impatient here so I'm fully expecting the "he's a bust" crowd to chime in if that's the case.   

There are "ifs" in all picks/prospects which only becomes glaring for some if WE pick them.

He may not put up many points in his 1st year as he adjusts to the play over here but man; all the other things he brings to the table are things that were sorely lacking these past few years. I have no unrealistic expectations for him. If he continues to play like he did in Russia, he will be a major improvement in whomever he replaces (likely Virtanen). Not all the value in a player can be found on the score sheet.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
  • Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

He may not put up many points in his 1st year as he adjusts to the play over here but man; all the other things he brings to the table are things that were sorely lacking these past few years. He have no unrealistic expectations for him. If he continues to play like he did in Russia, he will be a major improvement in whomever he replaces (likely Virtanen). Not all the value in a player can be found on the score sheet.

Funny, I'd typed a response that said something like that (production isn't only "points") when my internet crashed.  I love that he (and Hoglander) play a fearless game...one that means they're not scared to crash and bang and are persistent (I'd even call it very determined) on the puck.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It all depends what opportunities they give him. If they plan on playing him with a player like Sutter he’s not getting points.

If they rebuild the third line to bring more offense he should get points just by going to the net and getting greasy rebounds and deflections.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It all depends what opportunities they give him. If they plan on playing him with a player like Sutter he’s not getting points.

If they rebuild the third line to bring more offense he should get points just by going to the net and getting greasy rebounds and deflections.

I am thinking that he will start the season on the 3rd or 4th line to give him time to adjust to the play over here. I do not believe that he will be there very long though and depending on his progress he could be in the top six much sooner than expected. If TG plans on trying to run three scoring lines they may need to do a major overhaul of the bottom six.

To accomplish this they may have to bring up players like Lockwood at the start of the season in order to stay under the cap. Actually I am hoping that is exactly what happens next season.

29 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Im not sure about that. Canuck fans do really appreciate on ice hard work. If he plays really hard i think the bust crowd will be quiet. 
Motte , Burrows, Gelinas , for example. When the on ice work ethic is there fans shouldn’t have too much of a problem with him. If anything fans will point finger at the other guys on the ice... imo.

but its a wait and see. I personally can’t wait til camp opens to see Podkolzin with the Nucks. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

20 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Im not sure about that. Canuck fans do really appreciate on ice hard work. If he plays really hard i think the bust crowd will be quiet. 
Motte , Burrows, Gelinas , for example. When the on ice work ethic is there fans shouldn’t have too much of a problem with him. If anything fans will point finger at the other guys on the ice... imo.

but its a wait and see. I personally can’t wait til camp opens to see Podkolzin with the Nucks. 

I expect a very similar rookie season as horvat. 

• Cheers 1

Thing is, if you're a fan who simply checks the standings and stats, it could be problematic if they don't see what they're after.

Fans who watch the games and take more away than "the numbers" will appreciate a determined effort (like Hogs is giving us).  Podkolizin shows a lot of heart in his game and he doesn't just have to produce points.  It'll be noted if he's also helping to set them up and sometimes that comes by way of controlling the puck and giving others space and opportunity.  

I like his motor and players that have been listed (Motte, Burr, Gelinas) with similar traits are some of my favourites.  It's not just what you see on the scoresheet...there's so much more to take away from the game.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

Demko doesn't get many points, but he is still a valuable player for the team.

Podz may not get many points at first, or at all, but he will be a valuable player for the team.

as long as podkolzin's save % stays over 0.910 and his gaa below 2.50 we should be golden. 

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPgQXzwn1qQ/?utm_medium=copy_link

This post on Instagram by the Canucks account sums up what Podz is all about. His compete level, skill set along with the intangibles like his physicality, board play, 2 way game as well as being a good net front presence is why I’m so excited about this kid since the day we drafted him. Can’t wait to see him out on the ice in blue and green! Go Podz!

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

I know I should fully temper expectations but after 4 years of rookies coming in and seizing top roles in the offence and defense I fully expect the same from Podkolzin.

I fully expect he is going to come to training camp and impress the coaching staff in drills and intra-squad games finally working his way to a top 6 role in the preseason that he will never let go of.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Im hoping he can be for us what alex tuch is for vegas.

Pods is only 19, and already very mature emotionally.  He’s still physically growing into a big frame.  I see a lot of the great Russian winger from the 70’s (Alexander Yakushev) in Pods