The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I'd say Sutter fits that mold pretty well.

Dear god, no. Sutter is awful. He offers very little offense, gets caved in on the defensive side of things and can't play up in the line up. This team needs to get away from players like him and should be thankful his boat anchor contract is up. 

Sutter is part of the reason we have one of the worst bottom six compositions in the league, as is Beagle. The Canucks can't show them the door soon enough. We should be going after a player like Wennberg: young, speedy, and good offensive instincts, with the ability to move into your top six as needed.

Edited by nowhereman
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 2

20 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I believe the number he has worn was #19, but he switched to #92 as both #19 and #91 were taken for SKA.  So because #19 is retired he will wear #91 with the Canucks.  I could be wrong though.  @Stierlitz would know better than me.

I am with you on this one, see below:

On 3/22/2021 at 5:18 PM, Stierlitz said:

I personally expect Vasily to wear # 91 with Canucks.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

A lot of CDC pundits will hate this suggestion. Hate the contract already in place, wish it were...

I would think a great role to start next year would be a 3rd line of;

Antoine Roussel _________ Vasili Podkolzin

I can imagine teams HATING to see that line come over the boards! Two physical wingers who hunt on the fore check, win board battles, throw in an extra shot? 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

A lot of CDC pundits will hate this suggestion. Hate the contract already in place, wish it were...

I can imagine teams HATING to see that line come over the boards! Two physical wingers who hunt on the fore check, win board battles, throw in an extra shot? 

I'm just dying to see that Hog-Horvat-Pod line in training camp. Please be as good as i think we can all imagine it being 

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

any early word on what # he might wear? I can never get Messier #11 out of my head, so I really hope he doesn't take that cursed # with the Canucks!

Vasily did wear # 11 just a year ago :)  Actually, the more I think about this, the more I like this particular number for Podkolzin...

2020_15778799671179579454.jpg

Edited by Stierlitz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

Vasily did wear # 11 just a year ago :)  Actually, the more I think about this, the more I like this particular number for Podkolzin...

2020_15778799671179579454.jpg

That number is 'unofficially retired' for Wayne Maki who unfortunately passed away from brain cancer in his late 20's FYI.

Only the giant douche bag, Messier, has worn it since.

So 91 then? :lol:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

That number is 'unofficially retired' for Wayne Maki who unfortunately passed away from brain cancer in his late 20's FYI.

Only the giant douche bag, Messier, has worn it since.

So 91 then? :lol:

Probably 91.

Although if Pod turns into the player we think he will, I’d like the idea of, in a few years time, the Maki family getting together and offering #11 to Podkolzin, and them announcing it together. Have Pod wears #11, with the blessing of the Maki family, and forever erasing the stain of the Messier years in Vancouver.

Of course, this would have to come from the Makis, but it would be something I’d love to see, if it was something they actually wanted to do.

Otherwise, just leave the number unofficially retired, or maybe even do something official, to remember Wayne, and honour the family. But no Canuck should wear #11 unless the Maki family decides to give their blessing.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 5/27/2021 at 8:54 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Podkolzin is better than Hoglander.  He was a potential top 3 pick in his draft year.  Hoglander went in the 2nd round.  Benning has already said he thinks he will be in the top 6 right out of the gate.  His engine is just as high as Hoglander if not higher.  He gonna be 215 pounds in the NHL.  This kid is going to be a stud.  Watching Hoglander play is great, but Podkolzin will be on a different level, able to do more with his skillset than Hoglander as he is a much bigger player.

Hoglander was on pace for around 39 points as a rookie in a full NHL season.  Podkolzin hitting 40+ points next year is a real possibility.  He is not going to need a few years.  He's already 20 years old and has been playing with men for 2 years.  

I wouldn't judge based solely on draft position, nor would I judge Benning's word on what he thinks about the kid. They're gonna hype him up, just like they did Juolevi. I disagree with his engine being as high as Hoglander's (one can dream I'm wrong on this assessment though!). 

We shall see! I hope I'm wrong in that the kid will need a few years, but I've had a good run of track record for judging potential of these kids, so it'll be interesting if I've nabbed this one right! 

But let's hope he matches some of your expectations, because if he does that big d*ck pick that Benning made (in which I did like) will pay off dividends! He certainly has that capability to be a huge force for us, to me it's just his mentality heading into a full season of NHL. That's really all it's hindering on. I think he has the ability to be one of my most favourite players ever as a Canuck. 

Let's wish him a whole bunch of good health and good drive! I would LOVEEEEEE to see this kid pan out the way I hope he does. 

Edit: I think in order to classify as better than Hoglander points-wise he'd need to net closer to 50 and above because Hogz was absolutely anchored by Pearson this year. Hopefully it'll be Podz-Bo-Hogz line, but it wouldn't surprise me if he just ends up taking over Hoglander's role on that line. 

Edited by MikeyD
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

This depends... He can continue wearing his pretty popular # 92 or start on new page with more logical # 91. Time will tell...

Pods reminds me a lot of the great Russian from the 60s/70s Alexander Yakushev, who I remember (I think I remember) wearing #15.   Pods also reminds me of Alexander Burrows.  So maybe 14?  Okay, 29 would be perfect.  

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pods reminds me a lot of the great Russian from the 60s/70s Alexander Yakushev, who I remember (I think I remember) wearing #15.   Pods also reminds me of Alexander Burrows.  So maybe 14?  Okay, 29 would be perfect.  

Yes, I notice that you compare Podkolzin to Alexander Yakushev in any chance you have :)  Yakushev was a legend, one of my favorite players from 70's, he led the Soviet team in scoring in both famous Summit Series of 1972 and 1974. I wish Podkolzin could score like Yakushev with his lethal shot... yeah...

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Yes, I notice that you compare Podkolzin to Alexander Yakushev in any chance you have :)  Yakushev was a legend, one of my favorite players from 70's, he led the Soviet team in scoring in both famous Summit Series of 1972 and 1974. I wish Podkolzin could score like Yakushev with his lethal shot... yeah...

But I agree with you @Alflives- they look similar on the ice with the way both are hunching over :towel:

• Huggy Bear 1

Something I've noticed watching some of Podkolzin's games this year for CSKA and at the world juniors this past year is that his ability to generate offense is very unique compared to the compilation of players we already have.

Horvat, Pettersson, Miller, Boeser often generate their offense off the rush, quick transition plays, and odd man rushes. However, very few of them track pucks down and have as much offensive capabilities to cycle and create offense from below the goal line and in the corners. Perhaps that is conducive to the style Green likes to play, however, when the Canucks have played teams that clog the neutral zone well defensively or play a strong defensive structured game, they don't do very much. This is something uniquely a strength of Podkolzin's game, to pick apart defensive structure by creating chaos below the hash marks, in the corners, and below the goal line. What I mean by that is, due to his aggressive and relentless style, he also has very good capabilities to cycle the puck. 

Will Scouch made a draft year scouting video tracking Podkolzin's analytics 

In his analytics Will Scouch watched 7 of Podkolzin's games in his draft year and found that Podkolzin completed 83% of his passes, majority of them below the hashmarks. Also the reason why Podkolzin also didn't put up prolific numbers was the kinds of passing that Podkolzin engages in are often safe, cycling, and keeping the play alive sort of passes, and seldomly made high danger chance passes. This is why I think Podkolzin will actually help with our game in the ozone, simply, he is a player who can keep the play alive.  When you think the play is dead, his relentlessness to get the puck back, but the awareness where to put the puck is top notch. How many times did we see this past season where the play went no where really quickly for the Canucks? Pretty often.  perhaps this also explains Podkolzin's lack of production is mainly due to not starting the play off, but sustaining it so something can be manufacteured in the ozone.

The more and more I dive into Podkolzin's game, man it makes me really excited. Not because of the potential to be a point producer, but the way he is going to open up his line's ability to really push play in the ozone.

Additionally in Will Scouch's video suggests that Podkolzin was a very reliable transition player, meaning when the puck was on his stick, he didn't cough it up often, made the safe pass, or got pucks in deep.  I feel with Podkolzin, with the right mix of players on his line, they won't spend much time defensively. 

His "fight to the very end" mentality is so mature, that I think such players like Horvat, Miller, Pettersson, and Boeser could learn from.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

On 6/2/2021 at 5:17 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

Roussel is way to slow for 3rd line....Roussel is done never same after knee injury...We are in big trouble if Roussel is on 3rd line..

2019- 20 --- GP 41 -- 13 points

2020-21 -----Gp 35 --  4 points

1. Hoglander - Petey -- Miller  ---- UFA chasing Hoffman ? -- Appleton 24, 6'2 speedy Gp 56 --25 points - 900,000

2. Podkolzin  --Horvat -- Boeser

3. Pearson  - _______  - Motte

4. Lind --  Graovac 6'5  -- (( MacEwen -- Bailey - Gadjovich---

On 6/2/2021 at 5:17 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

Rousselle is so overrated. Hopefully someone will take him off our hands. One of the things to watch to see if management is serious about truly upgrading the roster.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Rousselle is so overrated. Hopefully someone will take him off our hands. One of the things to watch to see if management is serious about truly upgrading the roster.

Who's rating him high?