The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Podkolzin is starting on the 3rd line and staying there for a while.  

He might even sit out for a couple of games while he’s practicing with his new team and learning.... and that will be perfectly fine, although I’m sure that we will have Twitter meltdowns over it. 

Only 5 players are ahead of him. Miller,Petey,Boeser,Horvat and Hoglander. If they sit him for the first few games we have a big big problem on our hands. The kid is fine he doesn't need to sit and watch. Green already said they will put him in a position to succeed. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Outsiders said:

Only 5 players are ahead of him. Miller,Petey,Boeser,Horvat and Hoglander. If they sit him for the first few games we have a big big problem on our hands. The kid is fine he doesn't need to sit and watch. Green already said they will put him in a position to succeed. 

That remains to be seen. At least there is a full training camp and pre-season this year to try him out in different spots in the top 9.

3 hours ago, MattJVD said:

That remains to be seen. At least there is a full training camp and pre-season this year to try him out in different spots in the top 9.

I think he is going to fit in perfectly on any line. Play him with energy guys, play him on a checking line, play him with skill guys, whatever we need he will do. I'd bet he will be a coach's favourite by the end of training camp.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Outsiders said:

You say that but he hasn’t played a minute in the NHL.  

We won’t have a big problem if he sits out the first game or two and then starts on the 4th line for example. 

Im very optimistic about Podz but there’s absolutely zero reason to create a problem if he doesn’t get gifted a spot on the 2nd line from the get go. 

On 6/6/2021 at 2:47 PM, Outsiders said:

That will be the same position Green put Rafferty in to succeed.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Let's not pretend that Rafferty was one of the league's most projectable NHL prospects... 

Apparently, neither is Podkolzin - ranked fiftieth top prospect - the one and only Vancouver candidate. Rafferty tore up the AHL in his rookie year - something no other Vancouver defensive prospect has done while being a big plus player - he was sure as heck our top projectable prospect in Utica - if you don’t know that, then you never watched Utica’s 2019-20 games. Unlike Juolevi, Rafferty can actually skate at an nhl level. The only comparable Vancouver prospect that played at that level in Utica was Rathbone (but Rathbone only managed that over a handful of AHL games) - Rafferty did it over a full season.

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2021 at 3:08 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

Apparently, neither is Podkolzin - ranked fiftieth top prospect - the one and only Vancouver candidate. Rafferty tore up the AHL in his rookie year - something no other Vancouver defensive prospect has done while being a big plus player - he was sure as heck our top projectable prospect in Utica - if you don’t know that, then you never watched Utica’s 2019-20 games. Unlike Juolevi, Rafferty can actually skate at an nhl level. The only comparable Vancouver prospect that played at that level in Utica was Rathbone (but Rathbone only managed that over a handful of AHL games) - Rafferty did it over a full season.

ranked when and by who? I wouldn't hang your hat on prospect projections, they change all the time. Was that ranking before the KHL playoffs? 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

"I am so nervous but everything is fine" :lol: love this kid. 

Podkolzin’s English is pretty good.  I wonder how his young wife will adjust to living here?  I’m thinking younger players’ wives and girl friends will include her in stuff.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Kid has yet to turn 20. Its funny though, he acts, speaks, thinks of a very mature adult.

Congrats Vasili, one of many things to celebrate in your young life :)

Damn only if virtanen got married at this aged probably be a better player

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Podkolzin’s English is pretty good.  I wonder how his young wife will adjust to living here?  I’m thinking younger players’ wives and girl friends will include her in stuff.  

Podz is 3 months younger than Silovs, but about a year behind him in marriage.  Arturs and his wife both speak Russian, but I am guessing they will be in Abbotsford, otherwise I could see some natural  bonding there

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1