The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Podz could be a fanatic at center.  He is a dedicated player, one thing Green won’t have to instil in him, unlike Jake as disappointing he is atm.  

Interesting concept. EP, JtM, BH, VP as our centers. EP needs to get better at faceoffs. 

13 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Interesting concept. EP, JtM, BH, VP as our centers. EP needs to get better at faceoffs. 

Well it is a coached skill, depends on IQ, hand eye, technique and timing.  

This is a repetitive skill, where having low down body strength is also a huge bonus.  

considering Podz has excellent puck protection skills, excellent puck separation skills at his age, elevates the play of his linemates, is a potential playmaker if his offence translates and he plays the entire length of the ice.  

Face offs might be the only issue with moving him to center, I don’t see it as an IQ or skills issue.  He has the toolbox and the tools.  He certainly has untapped potential with his treatment in the KHL.  Hardly an ideal situation to show your hidden or underdeveloped talents.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Could happen, maybe. Do you remember the Russia vs Czech game? The first game of the competition. I think I remember Pod being played as a Center between 8 and 9 in the third period. I think it was the only time that I saw him there and if I remember right, he did a good job. 

Do you remember any of that?

4 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Could happen, maybe. Do you remember the Russia vs Czech game? The first game of the competition. I think I remember Pod being played as a Center between 8 and 9 in the third period. I think it was the only time that I saw him there and if I remember right, he did a good job. 

Do you remember any of that?

I do remember that 6-0 loss, vaguely 

That .85 cent Pilsner beer helped me forget the loss

On 7/10/2021 at 3:29 PM, Alflives said:

Pods already is a PK guy, and known for very high Hockey smarts, and a leader too.  That the hockey Gods he fell to us.  Great talent.  

I think defensively he definitely has the iq, zero doubts there. Offensively though I think he has a lot of room to improve on when to hold VS shoot VS pass. He's not bad, but it's not high end iq. He has improved though since draft day so hopefully we see more. I'm hoping he ends up being a consistent play driver. If he does this boy oh boy!!!!! 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I think defensively he definitely has the iq, zero doubts there. Offensively though I think he has a lot of room to improve on when to hold VS shoot VS pass. He's not bad, but it's not high end iq. He has improved though since draft day so hopefully we see more. I'm hoping he ends up being a consistent play driver. If he does this boy oh boy!!!!! 

I agree with you, Podkolzin is a very good passer and can play in those dirty areas which is something we need but I think it's his shot that needs a lot of work and decision making at times. He has the offense iq as well but just a few tweaks and he'll be able to unlock it.

His shot and him not being an efficient skater is probably his biggest knocks with Pod right now. By not being an efficient skater, he is already really fast but he can be even faster with some power skating coaching and mechanics reworking.

Edited by warrchief
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, warrchief said:

I agree with you, Podkolzin is a very good passer and can play in those dirty areas which is something we need but I think it's his shot that needs a lot of work and decision making at times. He has the offense iq as well but just a few tweaks and he'll be able to unlock it.

His shot and him not being an efficient skater is probably his biggest knocks with Pod right now. By not being efficient skater, he is already really fast but he can be even faster with some power skating coaching and mechanics reworking.

I think you and I are on the exact same page. He has great passing but sometimes he will shoot some lower danger shots instead of making the high danger pass with a much better opportunity at scoring. I think if he makes that tweak a bit more often that will benefit his game tenfold until his shot improves. 

• Cheers 1