Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW


GoldenAlien

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think people are looking at his style of game and thinking that, if he eventually can be a top six player, that he could be a nice complimentary player to Petey, in a similar vein to what Burrows brought to the Sedin line.

I'll agree with that type of statement, I think that's the better approach to take first, hopefully some fans can lower their expectations before hyping him up to be this top 6 already :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ohmy said:

Why don't you look at stats that matter instead of the games they played with Podz during the season. Podz outperformed Vey in a big way during the playoffs. More than doubled Veys point total and tied for most points ever of an under 20 player in the khl playoffs. So yes, there a lot of reasons to hype this kid. Look more carefully next time. 

So stats in a regular season don't matter anymore :ph34r: or regular season stats don't matter in your eyes when their not good enough :lol: go figure, ignore the bad and role with the good only gotcha. Hey Darren McCarthy I remember was good in the playoffs doesn't mean he was a superstar in the regular season :lol:, I'll acknowledge that Podz stepped up in the playoffs that's good hopefully that continues, but with any prospect you normally want to see consistency before penciling them in as a sure thing. Maybe next time you should wait until hyping someone up until they show consistency first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

Sure Vey put up a few more points in the regular season than Podz but he also played several more games and more than double the minutes than Podz. Vey also put up 40+ back to back point seasons playing for CSKA. 

But during this past years playoffs Podz put up more than double the points than Vey, 11 to 5, playing same amount of games. When the games mattered and when given a chance to actually play meaningful minutes, Podkolzin absolutely outperformed Vey. 

We should be excited about him, he will be a beast. He will start the year on the 3rd line but given his drive, determination and character I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes the year playing along side Bo. 

Definitely more promising by the looks of it in the playoffs so that's good, I'll acknowledge that, would almost be nice to see him play their 1 more year to see if the numbers would improve this upcoming year, by the sounds of how he played in the playoffs from you and others I would expect them to improve but it would be good to see tbh, but sounds like he will be here so I guess will have to see here.

 

Just for the record guys who got hyped here and didn't work, before everyone starts jumping on me for being skeptical first, like I said Canucks fans have a record of this.

 

Cody Hodgson

Zack Kassian

Jake Virtanen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

So stats in a regular season don't matter anymore :ph34r: or regular season stats don't matter in your eyes when their not good enough :lol: go figure, ignore the bad and role with the good only gotcha. Hey Darren McCarthy I remember was good in the playoffs doesn't mean he was a superstar in the regular season :lol:, I'll acknowledge that Podz stepped up in the playoffs that's good hopefully that continues, but with any prospect you normally want to see consistency before penciling them in as a sure thing. Maybe next time you should wait until hyping someone up until they show consistency first.

Like Toffoli did in the SCF did, right...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Definitely more promising by the looks of it in the playoffs so that's good, I'll acknowledge that, would almost be nice to see him play their 1 more year to see if the numbers would improve this upcoming year, by the sounds of how he played in the playoffs from you and others I would expect them to improve but it would be good to see tbh, but sounds like he will be here so I guess will have to see here.

 

Just for the record guys who got hyped here and didn't work, before everyone starts jumping on me for being skeptical first, like I said Canucks fans have a record of this.

 

Cody Hodgson

Zack Kassian

Jake Virtanen


There is nothing wrong with being a skeptic, it works for the great state of Missouri. The biggest problem with over-hyping is the potential for people being unhappy with anything less. That said, I’m stoked to see what he can do!

  • Hydration 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, 4petesake said:


There is nothing wrong with being a skeptic, it works for the great state of Missouri. The biggest problem with over-hyping is the potential for people being unhappy with anything less. That said, I’m stoked to see what he can do!

Being excited is one thing that I understand, but hyping him up to be this top 6 guy already before anyone really knows is not the right approach, putting those kind of expectations on a kid when his numbers haven't really screamed that yet, is not the right approach.

 

But props to him in the playoffs this year, promising good to see. 

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, 4petesake said:


There is nothing wrong with being a skeptic, it works for the great state of Missouri. The biggest problem with over-hyping is the potential for people being unhappy with anything less. That said, I’m stoked to see what he can do!

The "show me state"  :lol:

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Touche, I'm just a little skeptical especially with all the hype.

I hear you,  and there's nothing wrong with skepticism as long as there's context to frame it correctly. 

 

As for prospects,  statistically speaking the fact is that the overwhelming majority will never be NHL regulars so you're skepticism isn't necessarily misplaced - by all accounts however this particular kid is gonna be a player. 

  • Hydration 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

So stats in a regular season don't matter anymore :ph34r: or regular season stats don't matter in your eyes when their not good enough :lol: go figure, ignore the bad and role with the good only gotcha. Hey Darren McCarthy I remember was good in the playoffs doesn't mean he was a superstar in the regular season :lol:, I'll acknowledge that Podz stepped up in the playoffs that's good hopefully that continues, but with any prospect you normally want to see consistency before penciling them in as a sure thing. Maybe next time you should wait until hyping someone up until they show consistency first.

Did you even look at his deployment over the season or just strictly look at stats? Daniel Wagner tracked him extensively through the season if you want to indulge yourself. I've personally never overhyped him so I don't know where you get that from. Yet you either lack the knowledge of the player or just strictly trolling to garner a reaction which you achieved so kudos.  Is he a sure thing, no. Noone is because you have no idea what lies ahead for them. Should you be excited? Ya damn right you should be. The kid has a lot of traits you just can't teach. He'll only get better and I'm certain he'll be a fan favorite fairly quickly. Back your stuff up besides a Stat line. You SHOULD be excited about someone who tied for best EVER points in the playoffs for an under 20 player, who happened to be compared to Messier, who happened to be the captain of his Russian junior team, and who is driven to continue getting better. Get hyped or get left behind the wagon. I'm tired of this team being considered to have the worst fans in the league. We don't, but the loudmouth glass empty kids get all the play because Toronto loves it. If you look at this franchise as a whole then this may be the most exciting time ever to be a fan. And half of us will piss it away being cynical of it. I'm done with it. We are one or we are none. Canucks don't stray from the herd. Go Canucks Go!!!!!!!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Definitely more promising by the looks of it in the playoffs so that's good, I'll acknowledge that, would almost be nice to see him play their 1 more year to see if the numbers would improve this upcoming year, by the sounds of how he played in the playoffs from you and others I would expect them to improve but it would be good to see tbh, but sounds like he will be here so I guess will have to see here.

 

Just for the record guys who got hyped here and didn't work, before everyone starts jumping on me for being skeptical first, like I said Canucks fans have a record of this.

 

Cody Hodgson

Zack Kassian

Jake Virtanen

LOL funny thing I wasn't a fan of the Hodgson or Virtanen picks. But I was a fan of the Podkolzin pick, though I also did like the Juolevi pick 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I hear you,  and there's nothing wrong with skepticism as long as there's context to frame it correctly. 

 

As for prospects,  statistically speaking the fact is that the overwhelming majority will never be NHL regulars so you're skepticism isn't necessarily misplaced - by all accounts however this particular kid is gonna be a player. 

Hopefully so, just saying though seeing a guy named Linden Vey scoring more points than a young stud prospect doesn't scream excitement :frantic:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, ohmy said:

Did you even look at his deployment over the season or just strictly look at stats? Daniel Wagner tracked him extensively through the season if you want to indulge yourself. I've personally never overhyped him so I don't know where you get that from. Yet you either lack the knowledge of the player or just strictly trolling to garner a reaction which you achieved so kudos.  Is he a sure thing, no. Noone is because you have no idea what lies ahead for them. Should you be excited? Ya damn right you should be. The kid has a lot of traits you just can't teach. He'll only get better and I'm certain he'll be a fan favorite fairly quickly. Back your stuff up besides a Stat line. You SHOULD be excited about someone who tied for best EVER points in the playoffs for an under 20 player, who happened to be compared to Messier, who happened to be the captain of his Russian junior team, and who is driven to continue getting better. Get hyped or get left behind the wagon. I'm tired of this team being considered to have the worst fans in the league. We don't, but the loudmouth glass empty kids get all the play because Toronto loves it. If you look at this franchise as a whole then this may be the most exciting time ever to be a fan. And half of us will piss it away being cynical of it. I'm done with it. We are one or we are none. Canucks don't stray from the herd. Go Canucks Go!!!!!!!!

 

I noticed you claimed I need to look more carefully next time, but you replied with this and you wonder why I would think like that.... Hmmm okay... Maybe you should take your own advice. 

3 hours ago, ohmy said:

Why don't you look at stats that matter instead of the games they played with Podz during the season. Podz outperformed Vey in a big way during the playoffs. More than doubled Veys point total and tied for most points ever of an under 20 player in the khl playoffs. So yes, there a lot of reasons to hype this kid. Look more carefully next time. 

 

If you actually look up a couple responses you'll see you're taking the words I wrote right out of my mouth :lol:, excited is one thing over hyping is another. 

 

Here have a snickers

bean snickers GIF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

LOL funny thing I wasn't a fan of the Hodgson or Virtanen picks. But I was a fan of the Podkolzin pick, though I also did like the Juolevi pick 

Just saying I've seen this over hype train before around here, so trusting posters isn't the easiest :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

 

I noticed you claimed I need to look more carefully next time, but you replied with this and you wonder why I would think like that.... Hmmm okay... Maybe you should take your own advice. 

 

If you actually look up a couple responses you'll see you're taking the words I wrote right out of my mouth :lol:, excited is one thing over hyping is another. 

 

Here have a snickers

bean snickers GIF

Saying their is a lot of reasons to  hype this kid isn't actually hyping him for what it's worth so nice try as I said there's never a guarantee. You're a cynical person that's fine, we all are for certain things. It'll interesting to see if Podz reaches his potential. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Just saying I've seen this over hype train before around here, so trusting posters isn't the easiest :lol:

Tbf vey did outscore nugent hopkins and brendan gallagher in 2010-2011 wile leading the whl in points as a 19 year old. So it isnt like he is a slouch offensively. Podz is a different type of player though, he should be a much more complete player than vey could ever be

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Don’t know if it’s been posted yet, but I’ve heard recently that Podkolzin’s plan is to arrive in Vancouver sometime in early August, about 1.5 months before 2021-22 training camp opens. And his wife is also coming over with him and will be with him from day one.


Apparently he wants to get acclimated in the city as quickly as possible, and also get chance to meet some of the players and team personnel (especially those who either stick around during summer or return to town early to train locally ahead of camp).

 

Just another example of how Podkolzin is different from, say, Tryamkin. Pod has also been working hard on his English, and already can communicate pretty well in informal situations and carry on conversations. He seems to really want to be in Vancouver and to get over here quickly, get both himself and his wife situated and comfortable living here, and get an early jump on building his relationships with his team, and comfort level with a new city and culture.

Maybe the Canucks should hire Daniel's wife to teach VP and his new bride English? I believe she was volunteering to teach Syrian refugees English a few years back. This kid is going to be special in so many ways. The Podkolzin's may never leave Vancouver.


 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Maybe the Canucks should hire Daniel's wife to teach VP and his new bride English? I believe she was volunteering to teach Syrian refugees English a few years back. This kid is going to be special in so many ways. The Podkolzin's may never leave Vancouver.


 

Pods has been studying English for several years, and is comfortable having a conversation in English.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • -AJ- changed the title to Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...