The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I mean Virtanens focus and work ethic was always the issue. 

But could you imagine if we had our farm team in Abbotsford with Canucks management and trainers hounding him constantly. Something tells me things might have turned out different.

Clearly that’s a player that had no one guiding him with proper training. He was so focused on gaining weight he seemed to forget about the conditioning part.

Yah, that Yale Hockey Academy he attended is total bush league.

The issue was 100% Virtanen. He has/had no excuses for coming into camp missing his fitness targets. Takahashi was all of one hour from Virtanen in the off season. Canucks couldn't beat the lazy out of Virtanen.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

Nope. Wrong, that has been confirmed.

No I’m pretty certain…. I heard he had a real late growth spurt from a pretty reliable source. Also heard the Russian ‘inch’ is actually slightly different than the one we use over here. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

No I’m pretty certain…. I heard he had a real late growth spurt from a pretty reliable source. Also heard the Russian ‘inch’ is actually slightly different than the one we use over here. 

Yeah, I don't know for sure, but It happens. I literally grew 6" in one summer.

Considering that the Canucks traded out 3 of their regular PK players to Arizona, I hope Green is more inclined to use to younger options like Podkolzin on the PK.

Generally Green goes with veterans and doesnt really even dabble much into guys like Bo Horvat or JT Miller unless he has to. Hopefully Podkolzin shows well in camp and preseason to earn some looks on the PK. Can already see Green and Baumgartner defaulting to using Sutter-Motte & Dickinson-Pearson.  This team has been guilty of buying special teams players instead of developing them. Podkolzin would be a major asset on the PK and PP.

52 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Considering that the Canucks traded out 3 of their regular PK players to Arizona, I hope Green is more inclined to use to younger options like Podkolzin on the PK.

Generally Green goes with veterans and doesnt really even dabble much into guys like Bo Horvat or JT Miller unless he has to. Hopefully Podkolzin shows well in camp and preseason to earn some looks on the PK. Can already see Green and Baumgartner defaulting to using Sutter-Motte & Dickinson-Pearson.  This team has been guilty of buying special teams players instead of developing them. Podkolzin would be a major asset on the PK and PP.

The PK is pretty well covered by vets and I think Podkolzin will be in the mix as well...

Dickinson   Motte

Sutter        Pearson

Miller         Podkolzin

I can see Podkolzin taking over for Pearson on the 2nd unit PK by mid season.  I don't think we will need to rely on BO for PK duties.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Highmore has done his share of PKing ... 70 minutes in 91 games .... so if he makes the roster I could see Sutter/Motte as first unit, then Dickinson/Highmore with Miller/Pearson as a 3rd pair when needed.  If Green had any appetite for blooding youngsters, then he'd have given Hoglander a look last season.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Highmore has done his share of PKing ... 70 minutes in 91 games .... so if he makes the roster I could see Sutter/Motte as first unit, then Dickinson/Highmore with Miller/Pearson as a 3rd pair when needed.  If Green had any appetite for blooding youngsters, then he'd have given Hoglander a look last season.

Highmore will probably be in and out of the lineup with MacEwen. If he’s in then he’s probably ahead of Pearson. Podkolzin is a different beast than Hoglander. I’m sure Green will recognize this right away. He’d be perfect on the PK. But I’m sure Green will go with the veterans until at least mid season. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Highmore will probably be in and out of the lineup with MacEwen. If he’s in then he’s probably ahead of Pearson. Podkolzin is a different beast than Hoglander. I’m sure Green will recognize this right away. He’d be perfect on the PK. But I’m sure Green will go with the veterans until at least mid season. 

Yeah - let's hope Green watched some clips of the World Juniors as well as Saint Petersburg's playoff run.  Podz was a PK beast in those games 

• Upvote 1