The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

I like the Brady Tkachuk comparison, but I suspect less nastiness and better scoring touch. I keep thinking of Glen Murray for some reason.

17 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

There's a name you don't hear anymore. Wasn't Murray more of a goal scorer though? Otherwise, I can see it. I personally like the Jere Lehtinen comparison. I think people forget just how much of an ox that guy was.

I dunno, Glen Murray was a little too slow to be a Pods comparison I feel.

Lehtinen is closer I think, and guy was an absolute legend. Would be great if he had the anywhere near the same shutdown capabilities

I'm kind of wondering if Shanahan would be a good comparison. Both wingers playing on the opposite of their hand, similar size now, that high level of competition, decent shot and nastiness/physicality. Needless to say, I'm stoked for this guy.

20 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Lehtinen is closer I think, and guy was an absolute legend. Would be great if he had the anywhere near the same shutdown capabilities

I just loved his style and the way he played.

DC8v1eVUAAEE36U.jpg

Also, we need to bring back Gary Thorne and the late 90's/early 00's. I feel hockey just ain't as entertaining as it once was. :(

Anyways, if Podkolzin turns out to be anything like Lehtinen, he'll be more than just a core piece. He'll be a legend.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

13 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I dunno, Glen Murray was a little too slow to be a Pods comparison I feel.

I'm kind of wondering if Shanahan would be a good comparison. Both wingers playing on the opposite of their hand, similar size now, that high level of competition, decent shot and nastiness/physicality. Needless to say, I'm stoked for this guy.

Yeah I didn't think Murray was such a great comparison, just the name that kept popping up in my mind. Don't really see the Lehtinen comparison as he was just 6', and the first thing anyone thinks of when they think of Lehtinen is Selke. That's a tall order for Podkolzin to live up to. I thought about Shanahan too, but as with Brady Tkachuk, I don't think Podkolzin has that kind of edge. He does have some edge, even fights occasionally, but nothing like those two as far as I'm aware.

Since you mentioned the skating, what about Brian Rolston? Not as hulking as Murray, but dude could wheel, and was a heck of a two-way forward in his own right. Seem to recall he was near the top of the league in SHG every year.

I still tend to think his skating will not quite be up to par early on, but from day one - or at least after he acclimatizes to the NHL - he will be a monster on the boards. I think it won’t be long until he is our best forward working down deep in the O-zone. Opposing d-men are gonna develop a real distaste for Podz real fast. He’s gonna help change the narrative that the Canucks are too easy to play against.

And I gotta agree with the sentiment that the kid looks like a physical freak and once he fully grows into those slabs he has as hands… look out.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I like the Brady Tkachuk comparison, but I suspect less nastiness and better scoring touch. I keep thinking of Glen Murray for some reason.

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

There's a name you don't hear anymore. Wasn't Murray more of a goal scorer though? Otherwise, I can see it. I personally like the Jere Lehtinen comparison. I think people forget just how much of an ox that guy was.

I think this might be a good comparison… although Podkolzin is a winger not a centre 

image.jpeg.705e57d11e61addae03ce8e71a4ea1cc.jpeg

2 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Canucks roster page has him at 6'1 190lbs.  Is this old?

I ran into him at the airport in Lethbridge… 6’4 240 for sure :bigblush:

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I still tend to think his skating will not quite be up to par early on, but from day one - or at least after he acclimatizes to the NHL - he will be a monster on the boards. I think it won’t be long until he is our best forward working down deep in the O-zone. Opposing d-men are gonna develop a real distaste for Podz real fast. He’s gonna help change the narrative that the Canucks are too easy to play against.

And I gotta agree with the sentiment that the kid looks like a physical freak and once he fully grows into those slabs he has as hands… look out.

Couldn't have said it better myself Locke!  The best point being the bolded.  Podz, Dickerson and to a lesser degree Garland will help change the narrative of the Nucks being easy the play against.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, nzan said:

Having followed him so closely, do you think that’s at all realistic?

This is realistic if Podkolzin has good season with Canucks. In Russia, by default, hockey players in the NHL have much better chance to make the national team.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1