The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

4 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

For Anyone not Excited about Podkolzin. Whos now on the Canucks. 

im thinking he maybe a top 6 forward.

Go Canucks Go

Thinking? seems like a for sure thing now as it was months ago..  guess peeps are finally catching on and not listening to the media who all had him pegged as a 3rd line player. Some things never change I guess..

3 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Thinking? seems like a for sure thing now as it was months ago..  guess peeps are finally catching on and not listening to the media who all had him pegged as a 3rd line player. Some things never change I guess..

I knew Hodgson was going to be an 80pt franchise center man. Sorry for being a skeptic but I've been hurt too many times. 

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

I knew Hodgson was going to be an 80pt franchise center man. Sorry for being a skeptic but I've been hurt too many times. 

He had a pretty good start, 44 point rookie season 58 point pace sophomore was arguably better than Duchene or at least comparable as a prospect. If it wasn’t for his back issues he could have hit a point per game in his prime for sure, he was fantastic. Basically as blue chip as you can get but we didn’t know about his medical issue.  

that is why you never know. Podkolzin could be a star or an absolute dud. He could be trending well then get injured. It is so hard to say. We had a bad stretch for awhile with guys getting hurt, even random things like Sauve getting hit by a car (he also got cancer).

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Hodge? that had zero to do with hockey, that was an over inflated ego and a dad that.. well meddled.. but VP is no Hodge, and coho couldn't run over someone and take the puck to save his life, just sayin..

Let him start on the third line and let him move up when it’s obvious he’s ready. Maybe it’s after a few games, maybe halfway through the season….or maybe he’s a great cog on our third line for the whole year. Too early to make definitive statements about Podz just yet.

Even in the one clip of him skating at UBC, combined with the comments from Bo Horvat, it seems my slight concerns about his skating may be misplaced. I’m never unhappy to be wrong in situations like this. 

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

Hodge? that had zero to do with hockey, that was an over inflated ego and a dad that.. well meddled.. but VP is no Hodge, and coho couldn't run over someone and take the puck to save his life, just sayin..

Or you know, his genetic medical condition

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ed-willes-the-bust-canuck-fans-remember-as-cody-hodgson-requires-a-closer-look

"Four years after the trade with Buffalo, Hodgson, now in Nashville, was diagnosed with malignant hyperthermia (MH), a condition he inherited from his father Chris that produces muscle rigidity, fever and coronary stress. In Hodgson’s case, it was set off by intense physical activity, which is kind of a problem for a professional hockey player."

“Looking back you can see symptoms since when I was a kid,” he says. “You never knew exactly what it is, but you deal with muscle cramps and tightness your whole life. It wasn’t normal."

“In my case it got worse. I tore five muscles my final year (in Nashville). I’d bend over and the muscles would tear. It got pretty scary at the end, to tell you the truth.”

It now seems the back injury that started his problems with the Canucks was a byproduct of the MH condition. Originally it was misdiagnosed as a bulging disc. Hodgson said, no, it’s something else. The Canucks weren’t exactly sympathetic to his cause, but they did allow him to begin training with former NHLer Gary Roberts in the summer of 2010 and the back improved for a while.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Brock Boeser was a healthy scratch his first two games and he turned out fine. 

I'll have no issues if Podkolzin starts on the fourth line.  We must not lose sight that he needs to get used to his new teammates, the team structure... oh and English, new city, new country... Probably taking care of some things to do with his wife. 

This 20 year old kid will have lots on his plate and not throwing him on the 2nd or even 3rd line to start won't be the end of the world. 

Horvat said Podkolzin skates really well? If that's true that's a pretty big win. If I recall his skating was one of the only real downsides to his game. That and his 2 year KHL contract that I never understood being a downside but whatever it got us Podkolzin outta the deal. I remember how excited I was when I seen him drop to us at 10. I truly believe he was NHL ready at the draft, I am excited to see what he can do.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Horvat said Podkolzin skates really well? If that's true that's a pretty big win. If I recall his skating was one of the only real downsides to his game. That and his 2 year KHL contract that I never understood being a downside but whatever it got us Podkolzin outta the deal. I remember how excited I was when I seen him drop to us at 10. I truly believe he was NHL ready at the draft, I am excited to see what he can do.

From the video of him it looks like he's improved on it.

One thing to is he looked noticeably better in the KHL on the rinks that were NHL size.

Super excited to purchase his #92 jersey.