The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

GoldenAlien

On 9/9/2021 at 3:26 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Brock Boeser was a healthy scratch his first two games and he turned out fine. 

I'll have no issues if Podkolzin starts on the fourth line.  We must not lose sight that he needs to get used to his new teammates, the team structure... oh and English, new city, new country... Probably taking care of some things to do with his wife. 

This 20 year old kid will have lots on his plate and not throwing him on the 2nd or even 3rd line to start won't be the end of the world. 

Good point. I could easily see him slotting in there to begin with.

Edited by Gawdzukes

21 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I'm going to say it...

In the video highlights, Vasili Podkolzin looks like pre-Vancouver Canucks Mark Messier.  Podkolzin's wide/powerful skating stride, strong wrist shot, and physicality are three elements of Podkolzin that jumped out for me.

You and Iggy both .......

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/former-canuck-igor-larionov-describes-vasili-podkolzin-as-a-young-mark-messier-2028214

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I'm going to say it...

In the video highlights, Vasili Podkolzin looks like pre-Vancouver Canucks Mark Messier.  Podkolzin's wide/powerful skating stride, strong wrist shot, and physicality are three elements of Podkolzin that jumped out for me.

Shane Malloy, host of hockey prospects radio on the NHL Network (and one of favorite analysts/commentators) has coined a phrase called the Duress Factor where he speaks of players' abilities to make plays while under pressure, and he speaks of Podkolzin's Duress Factor being off the charts, which I tend to agree. 

I prefer Jerome Iginla.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Googlie said:

Iggy earned his moniker, the professor, by being a great student of the game. Even at just 5’9’ 170, he was an outstanding  defensive player and setup man. Now, he is a coach of the Russian junior nationals, and Podkolzin is the player whom he chooses to be his captain. That’s a lot for the kid to live up to - living up to the Messier comparison, especially in Messier’s prime, is to compare him to one of the best players ever in the game. It will be good to remember that even Messier was only 12-23-35 in 75 games in his rookie year - just in case Podkolzin takes a year to adjust.

I’ll keep my expectations on the low side: give him a chance to be a pleasant surprise - at least for me.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

He is showing a few Messier traits, though.  Apart from size and skating, he exudes leadership qualities, and Podz has shown that like Messier, he elevates his game in the playoffs (I didn't realize MM was so good until I "db"d him. - 295 playoff points in 236 games ... that's impressive!!)

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

How would people feel if Podkolzin is our Ivan Barbashev?  

You had me thinking, "Boldirev?  That would be good"; maybe not as good as I hope Podz will be, but Ivan Bolirev was a good hockey player.

(And he could fight.)

Edited by Goal:thecup
Spelt his name wrong.

How does Podkolzin look so far skating with other players?

I'm so excited for this young man. Lots of varying opinions for this guy and what his production is going to be like. Is he going to be a top six forward for the Canucks? How many points is he going to produce for this club eventually? Is he a 70-80 point player? Or more like a 50-60 point player? All questions that will be eventually be answered of course. 

I am so damn excited about this upcoming season, not only because we're finally allowed into Rogers Arena, but of course the new season is about to start. Feels like some sort of normalcy is coming back. For that I am thankful. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

How does Podkolzin look so far skating with other players?

I'm so excited for this young man. Lots of varying opinions for this guy and what his production is going to be like. Is he going to be a top six forward for the Canucks? How many points is he going to produce for this club eventually? Is he a 70-80 point player? Or more like a 50-60 point player? All questions that will be eventually be answered of course. 

I am so damn excited about this upcoming season, not only because we're finally allowed into Rogers Arena, but of course the new season is about to start. Feels like some sort of normalcy is coming back. For that I am thankful. 

If you saw the video of him doing skating drills at UBC he looked fantastic. Even more telling was Bo saying how great his skating looked, his high skill level, how solid he is, and how he just can't wait to see him in a high paced game or scrimmage. 

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Googlie said:

He is showing a few Messier traits, though.  Apart from size and skating, he exudes leadership qualities, and Podz has shown that like Messier, he elevates his game in the playoffs (I didn't realize MM was so good until I "db"d him. - 295 playoff points in 236 games ... that's impressive!!)

I'll take Messier minus the character issues.

• -AJ- changed the title to Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW