The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

2 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Ah, that changes things a lot! Maybe in that case move Sutter up to 3rd line RW and put Petan on the 4th line with Podz for sheltered offensive starts. 

3 minutes ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

It's the invite list, Motte is injured but also on there. I'm guessing they reused old measurements for the guys that aren't there right now. That's the only explanation I can think of for why they would update his measurements from the draft ones they used for the rookie camp roster.

Podz will be on the second or third line. He doesn't need sheltered min on the forth line.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

It's the invite list, Motte is injured but also on there. I'm guessing they reused old measurements for the guys that aren't there right now. That's the only explanation I can think of for why they would update his measurements from the draft ones they used for the rookie camp roster.

It's the same measurements that have been on Elite Prospects forever - which started the whole debate to being with. All of the measurements shown are just the "standard" measurements floating around rather than updated ones. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/512832/vasili-podkolzin

On 9/19/2021 at 4:57 PM, Camel Toe Drag said:

No reason to make Miller a C. We don’t want Horvat as a shutdown anymore. This is why we got Dickinson. If Dickinson is going log as much TOI as I think he will need more formidable wingers. At least Podz. 

As long as Petey struggles with Faceoffs Miller will always be the winger with center responsibilities.  I wouldn't say "no reason" when Miller already played center and played well for the last half of the season.  Miller is very creative and a great passer, he sees the ice very well, he'd make a fine center.  If Petey can become adequate in the faceoffs this year that will open up a lot of options for Green.  I cant think of another team in the entire NHL that's deeper at the center position than the Canucks.  Further, there's nothing that says the third line has to be a shut down line.  In previous years when we had no depth at that position I could see your point but now we are deeper than we've been in a long time and Green has the potential of putting out 3 dangerous lines.  Let Dickinson be the shutdown centre on the 4th line.  

Edited by Pure961089

27 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

It's the same measurements that have been on Elite Prospects forever - which started the whole debate to being with. All of the measurements shown are just the "standard" measurements floating around rather than updated ones. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/512832/vasili-podkolzin

Why is this a fixation with some of you?    Whether it be height or weight what does it matter?    The number of posts about EP40's weight and now Podz height - what is this fixation?   Seems creepy.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Why is this a fixation with some of you?    Whether it be height or weight what does it matter?    The number of posts about EP40's weight and now Podz height - what is this fixation?   Seems creepy.

We just want to know how "big" he is... what's creepy about that? hahaha

For real though, it's likely that we just don't want our team to be pushed around (2011 PTSD).

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

We just want to know how "big" he is... what's creepy about that? hahaha

For real though, it's likely that we just don't want our team to be pushed around (2011 PTSD).

One of the best cures for PTSD is to look at the reality of the situation.   The NHL is a very different place in 2021 AND the current version of the Canucks showed they are more than playoff tough.....with this new kid looking even tougher.   Further, height and weight do not mean "tough" as size of the heart and the passion to compete have no measurable scale and it it those things that matter far more.   I have played with some 6'6" guys that were scared of their shadows and some small 5'10" guys that were tougher than nails.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

As long as Petey struggles with Faceoffs Miller will always be the winger with center responsibilities.  I wouldn't say "no reason" when Miller already played center and played well for the last half of the season.  Miller is very creative and a great passer, he sees the ice very well, he'd make a fine center.  If Petey can become adequate in the faceoffs this year that will open up a lot of options for Green.  I cant think of another team in the entire NHL that's deeper at the center position than the Canucks.  Further, there's nothing that says the third line has to be a shut down line.  In previous years when we had no depth at that position I could see your point but now we are deeper than we've been in a long time and Green has the potential of putting out 3 dangerous lines.  Let Dickinson be the shutdown centre on the 4th line.  

Miller can take face offs but he should still play on Petey’s flank. Pettersson is a beast offensively and defensively and knows where to be. 

It’s a matter of playing minutes at the end of the day. Dickinson is going to be out out for tough matchups. This is because he’s grea defensively and we want Horvat to have more freedom offensively especially now with some new pieces (Garland, Hogs, Podz). It doesn’t matter what number you put on the end of “line”. Dickinson will be one of the top players in regards to TOI on our roster. 

With that being said if Dickinson is going to be a shutdown guy (which he will) then you need to give him better linemates. He’s going to be up against the likes of McDavid, MacKinnon, Panarin etc. Let that last line be the energy/grinder players. We now have around 6 guys between here and Abby who can fill that role. 

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

So weird to call it a fixation.. what, you think we spend out free time thinking about what Pod's real weight is? 

It's 2021 ffs.. before releasing weights and heights on a brand new training camp roster sheet, do you not feel like those #'s should be accurate? When there is a 3 day old picture of two guys who are the exact same height, but one is listed at 6'2", and the other at 6'4", obviously it's going to raise some eyebrows and generate questions. 

tldr: I don't think a fan wanting players' height & weight to be disclosed in today's day and age, and for those #'s to be accurate, has anything to do with being fixated about it. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It was because Pod's height/weight ranged between 6'0"-6'4", and 195-205lbs depending on which website you looked at. It's got people interested in what he actually is.

• Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, Vermette9 said:

Podz will be on the second or third line. He doesn't need sheltered min on the forth line.

I agree, though I really don't think he should be gifted a 2nd line role. I guess training camp is going to have a lot to say about it, but given our rather deep forward group I am inclined to believe the 3rd line is the appropriate role for him at this time. Depending on his play and what injuries we will inevitably incur, I see THAT as his opportunity to prove he is ready for a 2nd line role.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 6:35 AM, Pure961089 said:

What do you guys think of these lines

Garland - Miller - Boeser 

Hoglander - Petey - Podkolzin

Pearson - Horvat - Mott

Sutter - Dickinson - Highmore 

3 dangerous lines 

I like variation from time to time.

But I like our best goal scorers with Petey, our best play making forward more. That would be Boeser, and historically Miller also scores more goals than Garland. Plus add's some muscle on the boards. I think we will see Garland there from time to time, days when Green plays line change monopoly...

Considering Bo is 215lbs, and Podkolzin is 6'2'' / 6'4'' Garland and Hoglander make for very interesting 2knd line options. Where Hogz & Garland flanking Horvat is feisty, fast, furious also small. Podz is also a gamer, I think I like him on our 2knd line? 

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Podkolzin

Pearson Dickinson Garland

Highmore Sutter MacEwen (Lockwood?)

Motte IR to start year. 

Time will tell? I am rarely always correct...  :P

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Why?   

Some of us (old furry alien guy) believed Pods went through a growth spurt after the draft, and had an awkward stage in his development as a result.  Then, as he adjusted to his new (Podzilla) size, he got back to where he was before that growth.  We saw him do really well in his KHL playoffs.  

2 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

So weird to call it a fixation.. what, you think we spend out free time thinking about what Pod's real weight is? 

Yes, clearly I do think that given the number of posts about it and NO I do not feel those #'s need to be accurate.   Who cares?!      The fact you keep posting about it is weird....seriously.

It's 2021 ffs.. before releasing weights and heights on a brand new training camp roster sheet, do you not feel like those #'s should be accurate?

So what if it is 2021...ffs?   You are not buying him on a per pound basis for a BBQ or getting some equivalence of his height in pay or ????    Good Gawd (or ffs if that is what you prefer), he is as tall and heavy as he is.   How he plays hockey for the Canucks is what matters - his personal measurements are what they are and the fact that various internet sources have different values is a concern or fixation?   Really ?!?

It is almost as some want something about this kid to be "wrong" or to "prove" some bizarre point.    What about discussing him as a player and, as I assume you are a fan of the Canucks, supporting him through his development and enjoy the progression.    I seriously doubt a discussion would ever be "Boy the Podz kid was great last year for us but would sure like him more if he was 6'2" versus 6'4" inches" or "Kid had some hiccups in his first year but bet next year will be better when his height is more accurate on the web".    That doesn't sound bizarre to you?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Some of us (old furry alien guy) believed Pods went through a growth spurt after the draft, and had an awkward stage in his development as a result.  Then, as he adjusted to his new (Podzilla) size, he got back to where he was before that growth.  We saw him do really well in his KHL playoffs.  

How dare a young player grow or change from a 17/18 year old.   Cat eater - watch your words.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

One of the best cures for PTSD is to look at the reality of the situation.   The NHL is a very different place in 2021 AND the current version of the Canucks showed they are more than playoff tough.....with this new kid looking even tougher.   Further, height and weight do not mean "tough" as size of the heart and the passion to compete have no measurable scale and it it those things that matter far more.   I have played with some 6'6" guys that were scared of their shadows and some small 5'10" guys that were tougher than nails.

Totally agree. Though it does help the team get to the net easier and battle in corners if we have some size, and vice versa, defend our crease against the larger forwards and defensemen of the league. 

7 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Why?   

Bear in mind this has also become a running joke on here for entertainment purposes only as well.