Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW


GoldenAlien

Recommended Posts

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-prime-picks-podkolzin-klimovich-impress-in-russian-and-english?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1632530416

 

Quote

Not that there was any doubt, but Vancouver Canucks rookie winger Vasily Podkolzin looks the part.

 

On the ice, he’s playing with the confidence that was expected of him.

 

And off the ice, it’s the same story. On Friday, the Canucks’ top prospect reiterated that he’s doing well understanding what everyone is saying in English, but with the media he’s keeping cautious and sticking with a translator, for now.

 

The dressing room is always a place for banter, and the spirit in the Canucks’ team rooms is the same as what he was used to in Russia.

“I understand the jokes, but sometimes the guys talk too fast,” he said, as translated by Sasha Makarevsky, the Vancouver-based family friend who has been hired by the team to serve as his translator.

The first round (10th overall) pick in the 2019 NHL Draft has been skating mostly with Conor Garland and J.T. Miller.

 

“I really enjoyed playing with them. I really liked them, and I have so much to learn from them,” he said of his linemates through the first two days of training camp.

Miller, in particular, has been taking time to go over with Podkolzin about what’s going on and what to look for.

“I really appreciate their advice, it helps a lot. They really helped me to adjust,” he said.

Podkozlin’s group lost 3-0 in a scrimmage Friday. He was down on his performance.

“I’m not happy about today, but we will improve as camp goes,” he said.

 

 

 

In his short time in Vancouver, he and wife Sasha Kotyatkina have enjoyed meals at Blue Water Cafe and at the Hotel Vancouver.

“I miss my home food, but I really enjoy the sea food I can enjoy in Vancouver,” he added.

 

Canucks head coach Travis Green was pleased with how his young charge was progressing.

“I liked what he did yesterday,” said Green. “I’m always a little leery to say anything negative, because people tend to take it the wrong way but like every young player, there’s going to be things that he needs to work on and those are things that we have to talk to him about, but I thought he looked good today.”

 

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions since this is just scrimmage/practice.

Obviously but that was an extremely low iq hockey play and then combine that with absolutely no desire to work his tail off to get back in the play while trying to impress at a training camp isn't exactly the greatest showing. 

 

Everybody talks about this guy being an engine that's in 100% but he's also prone to turning off his engine at times too if you watch him lots. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Obviously but that was an extremely low iq hockey play and then combine that with absolutely no desire to work his tail off to get back in the play while trying to impress at a training camp isn't exactly the greatest showing. 

 

Everybody talks about this guy being an engine that's in 100% but he's also prone to turning off his engine at times too if you watch him lots. 

Sure but he's a rookie so you have to expect brain farts.  Even really bad ones.  Only time to get concerned if he continually makes the same mistakes for more than his rookie season imho.

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He didn't know he was allowed to hit his own teammates in scrimmages, so has been holding back.  Well see a different Podkolzin when exhibition games start, and he'll be even more ramped up for the regular season.

  • Like 1
  • Vintage 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Anybody notice Podkolzin's awful turnover in the scrimmage highlights? Hopefully he's getting em out early before the season begins lol. 

 

Go to 1:00 

 

 

So at the 1 min mark what Im seeing is Podz fighting off a check from a Woo who is pretty damn strong and Podz gets dumped and the puck gets stripped away. Podz Reaches out to protect the puck and Woo muscles him to the ice… when you said bad give away Im expecting or envisioning a bad pass. That was good back pressure from Woo to out muscle Podz and strip the puck away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

So at the 1 min mark what Im seeing is Podz fighting off a check from a Woo who is pretty damn strong and Podz gets dumped and the puck gets stripped away. Podz Reaches out to protect the puck and Woo muscles him to the ice… when you said bad give away Im expecting or envisioning a bad pass. That was good back pressure from Woo to out muscle Podz and strip the puck away.

Woo looked very eager to impress. That's what I expect out of a rookie in training camp. Not sure if he's still there quite yet, but it'll be interesting to see his progression this year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

He didn't know he was allowed to hit his own teammates in scrimmages, so has been holding back.  Well see a different Podkolzin when exhibition games start, and he'll be even more ramped up for the regular season.

Well, that would explain a lot as to how he looked in camp to me. Very tentative and passive which surprised the hell out of me. I’m less concerned now.

 

Can’t wait for Podz Unleashed in the pre-season.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Well, that would explain a lot as to how he looked in camp to me. Very tentative and passive which surprised the hell out of me. I’m less concerned now.

 

Can’t wait for Podz Unleashed in the pre-season.

 

 

 But it took Costmar to flip the switch!!

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • -AJ- changed the title to Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...