The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

52 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

That’s why Gads was waived.  

McEwan fills one role, Podz has the other.  If Podz can get to be a 20g producer with his play, we have a legit player on the team.  His drive is there, timing is a bit off.  His passing is pro level, he uses his shot like Hoglander, from everywhere.  

Podz needs to be paired with a natural shooter, I'd like to see him and Garland together.

11 hours ago, JM_ said:

Podz needs to be paired with a natural shooter, I'd like to see him and Garland together.

We could do it if Boeser is healthy...

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Hoglander

Garland, Dickinson, Podz

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

We could do it if Boeser is healthy...

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Hoglander

Garland, Dickinson, Podz

Not sure you put a $5 million player on the 3rd line (unless its Voldemort)

I think Garland and Hoagie will change places (and we'll get what fans want .... Podz and Hoagie on the same line)

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Googlie said:

I think Garland and Hoagie will change places (and we'll get what fans want .... Podz and Hoagie on the same line)

Like the new lines we had top players spread out, not enough scoring..Need to fix 3rd line change Pearson and Garland.

1.Miller  Petey. Hoglander 

2. Garland   Horvat.   Chiasson

3. Pearson. Dickinson.  Podkolzin

4.Highmore. Juho.  Petan 

Boeser not playing. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

Like the new lines we had top players spread out, not enough scoring..Need to fix 3rd line change Pearson and Garland.

1.Miller  Petey. Hoglander 

2. Garland   Horvat.   Chiasson

3. Pearson. Dickinson.  Podkolzin

4.Highmore. Juho.  Petan 

Boeser not playing. 

green simply won't break up Pearson and Horvat. He can't change his mind once it is made up. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Canuck Luck said:

green simply won't break up Pearson and Horvat. He can't change his mind once it is made up. 

Green does break up Pearson and Bo during PK and PP time, and on (5 on 5) shifts following PK and PP.  But he always goes right back to it.  Pearson and Bo are big guys, who play in straight lines.  They create a lot of space above the dots (off the rush) and in the corners (on the cycle) for an east-west guy.  Hogs showed he can take advantage of that space.  I think Garland would do well in those spaces too.  Do we have another guy (not Petey) who would do well given that opportunity?  Petan maybe?  

• Cheers 1

Really liked Podkolzin's debut. It was a bit quiet but he made all the right plays and was noticeable on the ice for good reasons.

I do wonder whether he can carve out some special team's role of some sort. With Boeser and Motte both likely to be back within this road trip, Podkolzin might be one of the guys Green elects to healthy scratch because he doesn't play any other role other than on the fourth line. We all know Green's love for players to have more than a 5v5 role. It is crucial for Podz to gain the trust of coaching staff quickly and start making a name for himself either on the PP or PK.

As I see it now, I see Dowling and Podkolzin the ones Green will take out. 

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Really liked Podkolzin's debut. It was a bit quiet but he made all the right plays and was noticeable on the ice for good reasons.

I do wonder whether he can carve out some special team's role of some sort. With Boeser and Motte both likely to be back within this road trip, Podkolzin might be one of the guys Green elects to healthy scratch because he doesn't play any other role other than on the fourth line. We all know Green's love for players to have more than a 5v5 role. It is crucial for Podz to gain the trust of coaching staff quickly and start making a name for himself either on the PP or PK.

As I see it now, I see Dowling and Podkolzin the ones Green will take out. 

If they only play him 7 or less minutes / game or healthy scratch him; IMO it would be better for his long term development to get a few games under his belt in Abby where he can hone his skills and come back to the big club as a dominant player that forces the likes of Dowling etc to the sidelines.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

If they only play him 7 or less minutes / game or healthy scratch him; IMO it would be better for his long term development to get a few games under his belt in Abby where he can hone his skills and come back to the big club as a dominant player that forces the likes of Dowling etc to the sidelines.

I agree that if Podz is getting very limited usage, then there may be benefit with having him play in Abbotsford for part of the season.

Even though there's no 10-game rule for Podz, maybe coaching and management are giving him similar treatment to evaluate his transition to the NHL.  If they do need to send Podz down now, I'm pretty sure this would be pretty easy since he's waiver exempt and I believe this would not have the same cap impact compared with cutting him for the opening night NHL roster.

I think Podz will be given every chance to stay with the NHL club all year.  Let's hope Podz can find his next gear and comfort level with corresponding increased playing time in the next few games but even he doesn't and ends up being demoted, I'm sure we'll see him again quickly.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2021 at 10:01 PM, Googlie said:

I used to watch a "Hoagy" play on the Canucks long before they entered the NHL. Bruce "Hoagy" Carmichael was a pretty good player for us. Anyone else old enough to remember?

3 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

That is what I was getting at. Let's see how he is deployed over the next 5 games minimum before re-assessing where he is at in the grand scheme of things.

Why wait till game 6 when we did it pre training camp lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ why is Justin Dowling on the PP and Podkolzin is nottttt ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dowling was on the 2nd PP Because Canucks needed someone for faceoffs. Thats what they said during the broadcast.

Podkolzin isnt a NHL faceoff guy (yet)