The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

That is what I was getting at. Let's see how he is deployed over the next 5 games minimum before re-assessing where he is at in the grand scheme of things.

Some guys play their first game on the 4th line, don’t get a lot of minutes and still turn out fine…

32F1179D-E3D9-4497-8F01-4B8583FFFAE3.jpeg

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

Some guys play their first game on the 4th line, don’t get a lot of minutes and still turn out fine…

I'm well aware of that but I do think his ceiling is much higher than that of a 4th liner and I also get the earning your minutes philosophy but I think Pod's development may be slowed by not getting enough minutes and reps. I am hoping that he shows enough to earn more minutes and all of this discussion becomes a mute point. Time will tell I guess.

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I'm well aware of that but I do think his ceiling is much higher than that of a 4th liner and I also get the earning your minutes philosophy but I think Pod's development may be slowed by not getting enough minutes and reps. I am hoping that he shows enough to earn more minutes and all of this discussion becomes a mute point. Time will tell I guess.

I couldn’t agree more.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Really liked Podkolzin's debut. It was a bit quiet but he made all the right plays and was noticeable on the ice for good reasons.

I do wonder whether he can carve out some special team's role of some sort. With Boeser and Motte both likely to be back within this road trip, Podkolzin might be one of the guys Green elects to healthy scratch because he doesn't play any other role other than on the fourth line. We all know Green's love for players to have more than a 5v5 role. It is crucial for Podz to gain the trust of coaching staff quickly and start making a name for himself either on the PP or PK.

As I see it now, I see Dowling and Podkolzin the ones Green will take out. 

He had some brutal giveaways and often when he got the puck stood still or just rifeled it off the glass. He looked lost but its 1 game hopefully he finds his footing but he looks like a player with zero confidence. 

7 hours ago, 4petesake said:

32F1179D-E3D9-4497-8F01-4B8583FFFAE3.jpeg

BO was only 19 and coming right out of Junior playing with boys.  Also, as a centre coming into the league you have alot more responsibility on the ice.  So it makes sense he started on the 4th line at the beginning.

Podkolzin is 20, is coming from 2 years playing in the KHL with men, and plays the wing so he has less defensive responsibilities.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

If they only play him 7 or less minutes / game or healthy scratch him; IMO it would be better for his long term development to get a few games under his belt in Abby where he can hone his skills and come back to the big club as a dominant player that forces the likes of Dowling etc to the sidelines.

Podz played more hockey last year than any other Canuck property. A lot of hockey. That said I totally agree that less than 10 minutes a game he should be in Abby.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

It was his first game.

7+ minutes is not bad.

And those were quality minutes; he's a quick study with a lot of skill, strength, and athleticism.

I don't see how it would do the team, nor Podz, any good to send him down.

He'll be in the top 9 forwards soon, imo (obviously).

Agree.If he's still under 10 minutes after 10 games, then it's another discussion but I would expect him to force his way up to top 9 and at least 12 mins+ by then which would be fine at this point.

• Cheers 2

Podz scores, then the Canucks took a penalty, then they got a power play. Does Podz play on either of those special teams?

Nope, so now which coach in the league puts a rookie out on the ice after he has sat for 10 minutes?

Some self called fans make me sad.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

I can understand Green's lack of trust and giving him more ice-time, he's really making the kids earn their playing time. Hughes and Pettersson didn't really have to, they were almost thrown into ice-time because we didn't have much of an option. Podz has been great all over the ice but special shout-out to Myers on that goal, he did a brilliant job skipping through the neutral zone, giving it over to Podkolzin and not to mention the little box-out to buy him some time and space - veteran smart move.

He's surely earned a bit of ice-time on our 2nd unit PP but don't see him cracking 10 minutes a night with Green behind the bench for a while.

Ice time will increase and that should not be an issue. Starting on the road with travel like the NHL will be new to him and will need time to adjust. Playing in back to back games watch him crack the 13 min mark tonight. Time management is very important for young guys.

• Vintage 1