The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

GoldenAlien

2 minutes ago, thrago said:

Podz is one of those guys that takes a bit to get adjusted but once he gets momentum is just going to continue to get better and better.  His work ethic and attitude will take him far I think.

I agree, I see him as an important piece of the young core moving forward

• Cheers 1

On 1/18/2022 at 1:11 PM, Coconuts said:

I like Podz, he's my favourite rookie we've had in a long time 

Elias and Quinn had more success, but I'm enjoying Podz more 

Dude isn't having immediate success, he's just grinding it out, working hard, and doing everything he can to learn and get better 

Makes him easy to root for 

Obviously we've been spoiled with incredible rookie performances, but Podz is a more traditional "rookie". You can see his deficiencies on every shift, but you can also see the foundation of an absolute beast of a player. Watching his game develop has been a treat for sure. 

Edited by nergish
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Wars seems to be breaking out involving Russia what impact for all the Russian players. I think they still need to attend army service ( brain washing ) prior to being allowed to play in the NHL. Podkolzin ??

Edited by Fred65

On 1/18/2022 at 1:11 PM, Coconuts said:

Dude isn't having immediate success,

I wouldn't necessarily say that coco, he's stuck it out in the best league in the entire world when it would've been very easy for the organization just to drive him up to Abby and say 'get to work'.  He's a 'plus' player, and could easily reach 20pts by year's end and he plays regularly every night.

We're talking about a kid who, previous to this year, was largely (for most of the last season) kept on the bench by his previous KHL team's punitive outlook on players who want to pursue the best league in the world - therefore despite being on a KHL roster for the previous three seasons, he didn't really play any meaningful minutes or experience anywhere near as much game-time as he should have. 

Sure, compared to Huggy/Petey he's not a caldar candidate and by that measure one could say he's 'less successful' - but personally as you mentioned in different words,  I'm also absolutely fine with how he's developing. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2

15 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I wouldn't necessarily say that coco, he's stuck it out in the best league in the entire world when it would've been very easy for the organization just to drive him up to Abby and say 'get to work'.  He's a 'plus' player, and could easily reach 20pts by year's end and he plays regularly every night.

We're talking about a kid who, previous to this year, was largely (for most of the last season) kept on the bench by his previous KHL team's punitive outlook on players who want to pursue the best league in the world - therefore despite being on a KHL roster for the previous three seasons, he didn't really play any meaningful minutes or experience anywhere near as much game-time as he should have. 

Sure, compared to Huggy/Petey he's not a caldar candidate and by that measure one could say he's 'less successful' - but personally as you mentioned in different words,  I'm also absolutely fine with how he's developing. 

I suppose we're looking at things differently, I don't see a young, former first round pick with high pedigree simply making the team as immediate success. He was more likely to be handed a spot than any other prospect we had in the system. Immediate success is more akin to what we saw from Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes. He's been more your prototypical first round player who gradually adjusts to the league while showing progress. 

I'm aware of how his time in Russia played out, and to his credit he made the most of what limited opportunities he was given, but that was last season. 

He's doing just fine, and I'm happy he is. No complaints about how he's developing, which was the spirit of the post you quoted. He didn't step into the league and et it on fire, he's working for everything he's getting and that makes him easy to root for as a rookie. 

Edited by Coconuts

11 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Big kid who skates well and throws a nice pass. A tad more experience and more physicality and he cement s a top six role. Like you I am happy with his progress. Really happy that BB is putting him with Petey and Hogs. 

A reasonable rookie season comparable for Podkolzin so far isn't hard to find. Look no further than our own captain.

Bo Horvat, 2014-15: 68 games, 13 goals, 12 assists, 25 points

Vasily Podkolzin pace: 79 games, 13 goals, 8 assists, 21 points

Unquestionably a bit worse than Horvat with fewer points in more games, but there's something there. They key to the comparable continuing though is effort and continued improvement. Horvat showed impressive continuous improvement year after year that is hard for anyone to manage.

• Cheers 2

I didn't expect to see Podz as a Calder player this season.  He's not the flashy scoring machine that the Calder seeks out; and perhaps never will be.  What he is, is a player that can play a complete game, which you rarely see at such a young age.  It is very hard to find a part of his game to be critical of; he is an amazingly diverse player. He still has a lot of developing to do in the coming years, but he is much farther along than most young players in the various aspects of the game. 

Just watching him on the rush, you can see that he is the true form of a developing  power forward and a disciplined one at that.  He brings an intensity, competitiveness, physicality and purposefulness that we haven't seen on the Canucks for a long time.  Just as he was a boy playing in the KHL, he is now a very young man playing in the greatest hockey league in the world.  It takes tremendous confidence for a young player to play like a power forward and it takes time to develop that kind of conviction.  You can see that it took a couple of years in the KHL, but by the end of his last year (and playoffs), he was the best player and the driver of the team. On the Canucks, he may take a bit longer to show his true potential, but I have no doubt that his determination will push him to greatness.

It doesn't take long to look up the stats of similar players in the league to see the common slow burn to develop into the multi skilled, physically + emotionally strong power forward.  At 20 years old, he is doing very well.

• Vintage 1

16 hours ago, -AJ- said:

A reasonable rookie season comparable for Podkolzin so far isn't hard to find. Look no further than our own captain.

Bo Horvat, 2014-15: 68 games, 13 goals, 12 assists, 25 points

Vasily Podkolzin pace: 79 games, 13 goals, 8 assists, 21 points

Unquestionably a bit worse than Horvat with fewer points in more games, but there's something there. They key to the comparable continuing though is effort and continued improvement. Horvat showed impressive continuous improvement year after year that is hard for anyone to manage.

Times were tougher for Bob I think. Canucks were desperate for some young player to step in and show a future for the club. He started on the 4th line and gradually worked his way up. A lot of pressure that could have folded his chances. Podz is different as he can establish himself on a 3rd line without the constant pressure. Easier on him and likely improves his development long term. I like how he is doing.

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

I cannot believe how much Podz has progressed since I watched him in person in camp. He looked timid and overwhelmed and I was starting to have doubts. His skating didn’t look great either.

But you can see the player will become starting to emerge. 

He's definitely one of those guys you have to watch on the ice to see his progress more than look at numbers. I think as he gets more confident and bigger, he'll be the lion of a player we've heard about.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This would be great for his development.

Continue to find his game here for the rest of the season, but come to the AHL to get some big minutes. He would fit a very good 2nd line with Petan and Dowling/Bailey (when healthy).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

That could be huge for Abbotsford. Adding Podkolzin makes them a threat to go deep so long as Martin or Dipietro holds the fort.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2