The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

7 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Agreed! Should have done the same with Hoglander though.

Yep, sure should have. Just another decision (or lack of) from prior management that proved to be woeful. Hogs, with a playoff run in Utica, could have gained some really good "crunch time" lessons and brought them with him this year. Of course, without those decisions, we would still have Benning and Green...hmm

Edited by Father Ryan
change content

Never even thought of it but what about Podz joining Abby for a Calder run? When are the

he rosters frozen? Even with the playoff drive excitement the rookie season for Podz should make fans very happy. Maybe not Hogz’s ppg but his overall game impressed me. His year #2 will be a barn burner. 

• Like 1

Rookie Vasily Podkolzin earns more meaningful minutes:

The rookie rite of National Hockey League passage is often easy to spot.

When a club is in a tight third-period struggle and reduced to three lines, first-year players are usually stapled to the bench. Too much at stake for a newbie to go numb and make a critical mistake.

For Vasily Podkolzin, that conversation is changing.

The Vancouver Canucks rookie winger logged 13:28 and had 19 shifts Saturday in a 4-1 victory at Dallas. It included seven in the final period when the game was far from settled and it spoke to a steady improvement on a line with Juho Lammikko and Alex Chiasson. Playing 4:45 in the final frame to help protect a lead was as significant as trying to create offence.

That type of deployment can do wonders for a player’s confidence. It’s easy to get consumed by production — Podkolzin has 16 points (10-6) in 64 games and hasn’t scored in 11 games — and learning to play with and without the puck can be just as vital.

“I think it absolutely helps a lot,” coach Bruce Boudreau said Sunday. “I talked to Jim (president of hockey operations Rutherford) and Patrik (general manager Allvin) about this, that it really kills me when a young guy only gets eight or nine minutes a game. I think young guys should get at least 12.”

Podkolzin is averaging 12:10 of ice time but has surpassed 13 minutes four times this month and in February went north of 15 minutes in the final three games of the month. His high was 17:07 on Jan. 11 at Florida and his lowest was 6:22 on Oct. 26 against Minnesota.

“You can really tell when he’s on and feeling it, and when he’s not,” added Boudreau. “Young guys go through these ups and down and there’s no way around it. By giving him more ice and responsibility, he’s really taken to it right now and, hopefully, it will continue. 

“He’s only going to get better. Pods is going to be an NHL player for a long time and a good one at that.”

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-rookie-vasily-podkolzin-earns-more-meaningful-minutes

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

I think Podkolzin's development this season has been great.  While it would obviously have been great to see Podkolzin come out on fire in terms of production, his baseline of play has been pretty good all season and that has only improved over time along with flashes of what he could offer as he builds confidence and maturity.  Looking forward to seeing his play with Abbotsford in the playoffs and his development next season too.

• Like 1

You can see his confidence is growing and his on ice awareness is really improving.

Been noticing that he is more decisive with the puck and is much better in his overall spacing on the ice. His arc of development is reminding me of Bo's first season, where he struggled for a bit but as the season wore on, he got better and better.

Still some rawness in his game, but really liking what I'm seeing from his game.

Podz seems to excel when games become more intense.  Just looking at the results of his final

playoff games for his team in Russia, shows a huge jump in his stats.  I like how his game is

developing.  For a developing power forward he is certainly moving in the right direction.

Very excited to see what's in store for him in the next few years.

• Like 1

Podkolzin has had good jump in the last few games. He hasn't found a way to score though, so I think a drop down to the AHL playoffs when our season ends would be perfect for his development - he'll score plenty of important goals there, have a good off-season and come back firing next year. I think he's got a good chance to be a "breakout" player next year and pot 20+ goals if he keeps this pace up.

13 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Podkolzin has had good jump in the last few games. He hasn't found a way to score though, so I think a drop down to the AHL playoffs when our season ends would be perfect for his development - he'll score plenty of important goals there, have a good off-season and come back firing next year. I think he's got a good chance to be a "breakout" player next year and pot 20+ goals if he keeps this pace up.

Abby has not made playoffs yet. As an org it is imperative that they do. Love to see Podz go through a Calder run. His game has grown thru this year in a big way. Excited for next year. 

49 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Abby has not made playoffs yet. As an org it is imperative that they do. Love to see Podz go through a Calder run. His game has grown thru this year in a big way. Excited for next year. 

It is almost 100% certain they will make the playoffs. If I recall, the top 7 teams in their division make it and Abbotsford is around 3rd or 4th currently. The AHL has a very large playoff bracket this year.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

It is almost 100% certain they will make the playoffs. If I recall, the top 7 teams in their division make it and Abbotsford is around 3rd or 4th currently. The AHL has a very large playoff bracket this year.

Why is their bracket so weird? It looks like some teams get byes into the semi-finals.

I knew that their first round series' generally were best of 5 and then best of 7 afterwards.