The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

19 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Why is their bracket so weird? It looks like some teams get byes into the semi-finals.

I knew that their first round series' generally were best of 5 and then best of 7 afterwards. 

No idea. My only guess is partially due to just testing a large bracket to see if it might be NHL viable and also possibly due to the very weird division alignment in the AHL as well. I think the Pacific division has 9 teams and all other three have 7 or something like that. No doubt the AHL is still feeling the effects of COVID.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Abby has not made playoffs yet. As an org it is imperative that they do. Love to see Podz go through a Calder run. His game has grown thru this year in a big way. Excited for next year. 

Abby has all but clinched a playoff spot as only the two bottom teams in the division don't make it. I believe Abby is just 3 games out of clinching. They just have SJ and Tucson to eliminate.

• Vintage 1

16 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Abby has all but clinched a playoff spot as only the two bottom teams in the division don't make it. I believe Abby is just 3 games out of clinching. They just have SJ and Tucson to eliminate.

Great news! We have a number of players who will benefit from a deep run. Top org priority right now. 

• Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

What do y’all think is Podkolzin’s offensive ceiling? 50 point guy?

I feel like his ceiling is very high, but I'm not sure how high he actually goes. I could see him being a 70-point guy (35g, 35a), but I think a safer bet for where he actually ends up is 40-55 points a year (20-25g, 20-35a) and a very solid middle six forward who can play games in the top 6 sometimes. I see him as sort of a combination of Pearson/Higgins and Hansen in his prime.

40 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I feel like his ceiling is very high, but I'm not sure how high he actually goes. I could see him being a 70-point guy (35g, 35a), but I think a safer bet for where he actually ends up is 40-55 points a year (20-25g, 20-35a) and a very solid middle six forward who can play games in the top 6 sometimes. I see him as sort of a combination of Pearson/Higgins and Hansen in his prime.

I would be disappointed if he only reached that level and stats.  Luckily, not one of those guys started

in the NHL at under 22yrs, nor were they as high a pic at the draft (not to insult the worth play of all

three of them).  At 20yrs, Podz is already outplaying them in their 1st year.

Podz is still learning the game and building his confidence right now.  He has good speed, vision

and of course, the energy of a maniac.  I can see him developing his skill and physicality over the

next few seasons and will end up as a top 6 power forward.  If he plays alongside Pete, I think he

is in the 65-70pt range and playing a 'heavy' game.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

42 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I would be disappointed if he only reached that level and stats.  Luckily, not one of those guys started

in the NHL at under 22yrs, nor were they as high a pic at the draft (not to insult the worth play of all

three of them).  At 20yrs, Podz is already outplaying them in their 1st year.

Podz is still learning the game and building his confidence right now.  He has good speed, vision

and of course, the energy of a maniac.  I can see him developing his skill and physicality over the

next few seasons and will end up as a top 6 power forward.  If he plays alongside Pete, I think he

is in the 65-70pt range and playing a 'heavy' game.

I think I'm just wary of overrating our young guns. I've spent so many years on CDC (as you have) and have seen so many excited fans for guys like Schroeder, Kassian, Shinkaruk, Cassels, etc., only to see those guys become much less than we hoped. I've sort of lowered my expectations of prospects to try to compensate for many years of overestimation.

That said, we did have a few guys that did exceed my expectations, like Pettersson, Boeser, and Hughes.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I think I'm just wary of overrating our young guns. I've spent so many years on CDC (as you have) and have seen so many excited fans for guys like Schroeder, Kassian, Shinkaruk, Cassels, etc., only to see those guys become much less than we hoped. I've sort of lowered my expectations of prospects to try to compensate for many years of overestimation.

That said, we did have a few guys that did exceed my expectations, like Pettersson, Boeser, and Hughes.

Yeah, I get that AJ.  As Nuck fans, we have all faced our share of disappointments, that's for sure.

The more recent ones are even worse, due to the higher pics.

Still, I see something different in our young Russian player.  He appears to be so committed and

works as hard as the best players on the team.  You can tell that he's made an impression on the

other players and the coach as well.  I also think that the team's focus on player development has

improved.  I am looking forward to see how does in Abby.   I would think he'll have the opportunity

to play on an offensive line, but his defensive coverage should stand out as well.  I so want to

see the Russian KHL playoff Podz.

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

What do y’all think is Podkolzin’s offensive ceiling? 50 point guy?

I can see Podkolzin being a Dustin Brown type player. Physical two-way winger who in his peak can be a play driver on a second line or potentially a complimentary third guy on a first line.

So maybe a career year at 60 points but mostly a ~50 point guy I think is accurate. 

• Cheers 1

On 4/1/2022 at 6:37 PM, higgyfan said:

Yeah, I get that AJ.  As Nuck fans, we have all faced our share of disappointments, that's for sure.

The more recent ones are even worse, due to the higher pics.

Still, I see something different in our young Russian player.  He appears to be so committed and

works as hard as the best players on the team.  You can tell that he's made an impression on the

other players and the coach as well.  I also think that the team's focus on player development has

improved.  I am looking forward to see how does in Abby.   I would think he'll have the opportunity

to play on an offensive line, but his defensive coverage should stand out as well.  I so want to

see the Russian KHL playoff Podz.

Really liked his development this season. Wasn't pushed into the top 6 which most desperate Canuck teams have done in the past. He has gotten a real taste of NHL TOI and off ice regime. He has a solid frame and will fill out even more. He has potential of anchoring a line. More excited that he will go to Abby and have Calder playoffs. Will get to play with his buddy Klim. 

• Like 3

He keeps getting better incrementally, you can see how he is evolving his game and adding tools to that toolbox.

His playmaking is underrated, but beyond that, since his draft year have admired his defensive game. At times can be out of position (purely learning the position) but his stick is always active and is constantly checking around to see where his man is. I think with time and seasoning his defensive game could be the best on the team, his awareness and hockey IQ is high. 

He has easily become my favourite player on the team. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Even though his production hasn't jumped off the stat sheet, I feel Pods has had an outstanding rookie season.  He will likely get to 25 points, but his overall game has been very strong.  I think he will be an absolute beast in the next year or two.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I think that Podz will develop similar to Bo.  His first season numbers are shaping up to be really good.  Bo had 13 goals and 12 assists and Podz has 10 goals and 9 assists with 10 or so games left.  If Podz can become an impact player like Bo, he will be a valuable player for us.B)

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

I cannot stop my gushing over Podkolzin's game.

He reminds me of a very high end Zach Hyman. Just does all the little thing well to allow the skilled players to do what they need to do. His defensive reads are remarkable for a 21 year old. His dogged determination on each shift is what rallies a team together. He was outstanding tonight against the Sharks. He is a glue guy on a line, he just cohesively pulls things together.

• Like 2

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I cannot stop my gushing over Podkolzin's game.

He reminds me of a very high end Zach Hyman. Just does all the little thing well to allow the skilled players to do what they need to do. His defensive reads are remarkable for a 21 year old. His dogged determination on each shift is what rallies a team together. He was outstanding tonight against the Sharks. He is a glue guy on a line, he just cohesively pulls things together.

Podzilla is still 20.