The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I hope he gives some serious thought about going home to Russia. If things get even worse in Ukraine I can see the borders being closed to non nationals at both ends. Neither Russia or Canada letting traffic thru. If things turn much worser I can see universal conscription. Young guys like Podz won't be coming back. If you have any influence with him try and talk him out of it. Tell him to meet family in Finland or even Belarus.  

I don't have any influence, sorry. I only met him at the wedding this weekend.

• Like 1

There’ve been a ton of recent comments from Canucks veteran players praising Podkolzin for his work ethic and skillset, but I think some of the best came from JT Miller in his recent postgame interview:

(Starts around 3 minute mark)

“It’s no surprise… the guy [Podkolzin] wants to get better. I think it’s a lost art in the game where guys go on the ice and really work at their craft. Work on realistic things that are going to happen in a game. Work on their wall work and first three strides. Goes on the ice for an hour and a half some days, it doesn’t matter, he’s young and he’s not going to be tired from the games. Works his [butt] off in the games. It’s a matter of time, he’s gonna get rewarded. He’s getting an opportunity right now. We all are thinking the same. We’re very… we talk a lot, we communicate a lot with him, he’s knows what he’s supposed to do: skate, get to the net, put the puck behind the net, and when he gets a chance, shoot it. It’s very simple. Nobody’s trying to play a different game here. It’s great to see him get rewarded and I can see he’s gonna have more success as we go.”

(Did a quick transcription here so might have messed up a word or two.)

Easy to understand why the players, especially guys like Miller and Horvat, love Pods. His approach, commitment, and work ethic are rare to see, in any player, never mind a rookie in his first season in North America. And he has so much respect for the game, the process, and his teammates. Stays humble and just puts his head down and works hard. Listens to the advice of coaches and veteran players and tries to incorporate it into his game. Always working to get better. And has the raw tools for tremendous upside, which are evident to his coaches and fellow players. Guys marvel at how well he can skate, how hard he shoots the puck, and how strong he is already, at just 20 years of age. And the only criticism you hear, if you can even call it a criticism, is that Pods is perhaps too humble and respectful, and not selfish enough. That he needs to, at times, be more individualistic and less team-oriented, when it comes to how he approaches his opportunities to score. (But you can see that’s coming, as Pods gets more comfortable and confident, and his two goals last game speak to this.)

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

I don’t remember, did they paper him down to Abbotsford so he is eligible to play for them in the playoffs.

That would be a pretty big boost for their chances.

Yup.  Pods will be heading to Abby, where Cull can do some coaching magic and learn him up on how to play gooder.  

Might be a mistake letting Cull get involved with Pods.  

Edited by Alflives

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Pods will be heading to Abby.  

Going to be fun watching him. His compete level is very high and I think he will make a huge difference on the Abby team. Having him play there might give Danila a boost as well.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Pods will be heading to Abby, where Cull can do some coaching magic and learn him up on how to play gooder.  

Might be a mistake letting Cull get involved with Pods.  

Cull must be doing something right Abby is 8-1-1-0 in the last ten and has a +40 goal differential over the course of the season so far.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Cull must be doing something right Abby is 8-1-1-0 in the last ten and has a +40 goal differential over the course of the season so far.

I hope you’re right.  Pods need to be in all situations and get PT ahead of the old, long time AHL players.  I don’t want to see him regress because if crappy coaching decisions.  

Pits our farm team.  Where our prospects are supposed to develop into NHL guys.  Not so much about winning if it isn’t our young guys driving that success. 

Edited by Alflives

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Does anyone know why NHL coaches just don't trust younger players? Podz seems to thrive on more ice time. And gets better incrementally each game. But even BB puts in AHL plugs over Podz? 

Is there a pecking order in the NHL? 

Deffinitely a trust factor and experience. Just like muscle memory, experience makes you an error free player to a large degree, some one you can trust indifferent situations. BB looks for small detail like positioning and being on the right side of the puck. It makes it difficult for the opposition and of course it depends on what the score is and how far into the game

Interesting...........

While the plus/minus statistic has lost a lot of its relevance in recent years, it’s something the Canucks will be monitoring over these final few games. As Thomas Drance of The Athletic points out (subscription link), rookie winger Vasily Podkolzin is tied for third among Vancouver forwards in that particular stat with a +9 mark.  If he finishes in the top three, he earns an ‘A’ bonus of $212.5K, one that will count against Vancouver’s 2022-23 cap since the team has been in LTIR all season and has no banked cap room

• Thanks 1