The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

• 2 weeks later...

I think we are all still sleeping on this guy and not ready to believe yet how good he will be. At times of late, I've been telling myself that nothing we do will matter when I see the way McDavid has elevated his play (playing for our divisional rival), but seeing the way Podkolzin played in his last 15 or so games makes me feel that little bit more hopeful to keep me afloat. :lol: He will be terrorizing other teams with his jam and puck pursuit for well over a decade, all the while having the talent to be a top-line calibre player. Oh, and he's still filling into those paws of his. Remember that. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

On 5/24/2022 at 6:42 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

“Everything was intense and I was tired,” said Podkolzin when asked about how he felt physically after the season. “I asked the guys from Vancouver how they prepare for the season and they only start going to the gym and on the ice in mid-August. Then, when they come to Vancouver, they begin to train intensively. I started in mid-July, so, maybe I started early. On the other hand, I felt great throughout the season except for the ending.”

Maybe my reading comprehension has failed me, but Podz is saying that the players don't start going to the gym until August? Doesn't that seem a little late?

Can someone please reassure me that I am reading that incorrectly.

50 minutes ago, Echo Park said:

Maybe my reading comprehension has failed me, but Podz is saying that the players don't start going to the gym until August? Doesn't that seem a little late?

I did a bit of a double take there too. My gut is maybe it's a difference between more casual regular workouts and intense pre-season training. I would find it hard to believe that guys would just abandon the gym for a few months.

57 minutes ago, Echo Park said:

maybe that's why we suck....lol

definitely raised an eyebrow for me too....most players now take a month off, then start training hard / dry land in July. They don't tend to have scrimmages much at that time but do go on the ice and skills train, skate train...certainly guys like Sid, Mackinnon, Marchand do. And many players are at the Gary Roberts camp and I know that's in July

Perhaps Podz uncovered a problem with our group.

Edited by NucknAsia

He's got all the potential to have a massive break-out season. I think 20 goals is expected but if the rate of scoring stays high next year and he remains in our top-6 alongside Bo for most of the year, you never know...if guys like Mangiapane can score 30 then Podz can easily hit that as early as next year.

I'm sure he'll move up and down the lineup due to inconsistency, but a lot of us (and I'm sure the coaches do too) have him pencilled in for 2nd line winger spot right now, probably alongside Bo and Pearson to make up a pretty well-rounded, heavy line.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/14/2022 at 1:36 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's got all the potential to have a massive break-out season. I think 20 goals is expected but if the rate of scoring stays high next year and he remains in our top-6 alongside Bo for most of the year, you never know...if guys like Mangiapane can score 30 then Podz can easily hit that as early as next year.

I'm sure he'll move up and down the lineup due to inconsistency, but a lot of us (and I'm sure the coaches do too) have him pencilled in for 2nd line winger spot right now, probably alongside Bo and Pearson to make up a pretty well-rounded, heavy line.

I really think #92 Podkolzin, 6'2, 205 only 20 will have a fantastic 2022-23 season..The way he used his size and speed the last 30 games is the player I see next season...GP 75 -- G 20 -- PTS 45 -- AVG 16 mins...Big #92  will control play if he uses his size, strength and forecheck..So exciting and only 21 yrs old next season....

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, Muttley said:

The way his last one half to one third went, it's easy to see him becoming a significant piece to the overall core group of this team.  He was growing more dependable in all situations and his on ice decision making was excellent.  Skies the limit!

@Roman says Podz is in Russia right now. I am hoping that he is able to return asap. Not confident that the border doesn't get shut down by Putin. 

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 3

16 hours ago, Muttley said:

The way his last one half to one third went, it's easy to see him becoming a significant piece to the overall core group of this team.  He was growing more dependable in all situations and his on ice decision making was excellent.  Skies the limit!

....and a shot at OT ice time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The fact that he is participating in this makes me wonder how he views the Ukraine war? Business as usual in Russia? 

Probably tries to stay clear of the political aspect.... Doubt its so easy to be a protester in Russia as in the Western world...

• Like 1

I doubt Putin restricts the ability of hockey players to go to the NHL.

Why?  Because those players bring much needed US dollars into the Russian economy... which is being starved for Euros and Dollars with the move away from Russian Oil and Gas.

It is important to understand everything Putin says is the opposite of truth.  All of his speeches are designed to reinforce his lies and brainwash the Russian people.

Recently he said sanctions are hurting the US and Europe more than Russia... which means the opposite is true.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*

17 hours ago, spook007 said:

Probably tries to stay clear of the political aspect.... Doubt its so easy to be a protester in Russia as in the Western world...

Pulling on a Russian sweater at this time says something. Not a good thing IMHO. Sports washing? That said I don't know Podz's thinking or influences.  

Edited by Boudrias
  • Cheers 1