The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

15 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Now, that's a kid who's looking confident. He really wasn't in Vancouver.

I might keep him there for the rest of the season and let the kids really gel together through having a great season and possibly a long playoff run. See how they all look in camp next season with whoever the coach will be.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

Watched the game last night and his goal was a beauty and he looked great, as he does most games in Abby. 

On a similar note, though his scoring touch isn't much better, Hoglander really is too good for the AHL.  Man, if he had better hands........

12 hours ago, jyu said:

Caufield would have been a good pick too. But we have skill and goal scoring in the line up already, and we are missing two way players.

Podz should develop into a very good two way player that can help the team win. 

I have always found it curious that Podz's value/success was measured by his ability to put up points and nail down a top 6 role. The Canucks haven't had a really good shut down line since Manny Maholtra. I thought Tocchet was bang on with his comment about having a competitive PK unit. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I have always found it curious that Podz's value/success was measured by his ability to put up points and nail down a top 6 role. The Canucks haven't had a really good shut down line since Manny Maholtra. I thought Tocchet was bang on with his comment about having a competitive PK unit. 

Frankly I always thought Pokolzin as a third line player, a v. good one for sure but not a 1st line impact player. I kept looking and looking thinking what am I missing. I'd certainly like a couple more just like him but I don't see stats being his calling card

Edited by Fred65
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, jyu said:

Caufield would have been a good pick too. But we have skill and goal scoring in the line up already, and we are missing two way players.

Podz should develop into a very good two way player that can help the team win. 

I'd love to see them try him at C

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

15 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I really hope they just let him be in Abbotsford

Let him build on his success, have a good summer of training, and let him show up for training camp 

Management is trying to sell to fans again rather than doing what’s best for the players.

Sick of it. I was genuinely excited that they finally figured out what the right thing is. Turns out they didn’t.

Edited by DeNiro

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Management is trying to sell to fans again rather than doing what’s best for the players.

Sick of it. I was genuinely excited that they finally figured out what the right thing is. Turns out they didn’t.

Meet the new management, same as the old management 

Just a different last name 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

This is redundant. I definitely never expected VP to be a player to put up points. Maybe, 50 - 60 a year? But he brings

so much more to the game than just points. He's only 21? 

And also, talking about the PK? Really? 

I mean, isn't that really apparent? 

Nothing on you, but again, this stuff is too obvious.

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Dyu see a problem in that?

Malhotra was a top 10 pick.  Debatably the best 3rd line centre we ever had.  Albeit for a short period...

A 6'2'' 210 lb player who has the speed, and agility, to hang with Crosby. Is always a player a coach wants to deploy. Even better, he has a great attitude. Willing to kill penalties, loves to block shots, bury his head in the corner to win pucks; sacrifice his body for a win in the last 30 seconds!  He is in Abbotsford to see if we can make a 2knd or 1st line player out of him. He has the shot, some serious passing instinct.  It is within his upside to play top 6; protecting & handling the puck what he has to work on. 

I love him regardless from what I have seen! A great player to have.

Podkolzin just has a couple of things to adjust in his game. He just needs a little time to step back and work on his whole game, he should be back with the Canucks by end of the season, possibly as early as right after the trade deadline.

• There it is 1

6 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I would prefer to see Pods, Hogs, Aman, Rathbone and Karlsson, all stay down in Abby and be part of a run for the Calder Cup and gain playoff experience rather than get called up to be part of the $%^& show that is the Vancouver Canucks. They will get limited ice time and not see any playoff action with the big club so why bring them up? Evaluations of their play can be made with the Abby Canucks.

That really would likely be the best for him and all of them. Let them go deep and then have a fresh start next season in camp.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Dyu see a problem in that?

Malhotra was a top 10 pick.  Debatably the best 3rd line centre we ever had.  Albeit for a short period...

A 6'2'' 210 lb player who has the speed, and agility, to hang with Crosby. Is always a player a coach wants to deploy. Even better, he has a great attitude. Willing to kill penalties, loves to block shots, bury his head in the corner to win pucks; sacrifice his body for a win in the last 30 seconds!  He is in Abbotsford to see if we can make a 2knd or 1st line player out of him. He has the shot, some serious passing instinct.  It is within his upside to play top 6; protecting & handling the puck what he has to work on. 

I love him regardless from what I have seen! A great player to have.

None at all. I see him as positive prospect. Just not a top 6 forward, nothing wrong with that

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

I find it difficult to predict what role Podz will fill when he reaches his prime.  Right now, it seems that

the coaches want him to be a 'jack of all trades' player that can play on any line and brings offence

and defence.  I can see him being the power forward type as well, although he needs to continue

filling out his physique and strength.

On the other hand, we have seen goals and assists that show some remarkable skills in the NHL/SHL.

Although he didn't show his offence in the WJs or during the KHL seasons, the19yr old manages

to outscore every player on his team; including doubling on 24yr old Kuze points in the KHL playoffs.

His learning curve has been stacked since landing in Vancouver and will continue to stay that way, while he

learns the various aspects of so many roles.  Wherever he settles, I think he will be a complete player that

has a significant role on the team.

Edited by higgyfan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1