The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

The question for me with Podkolzin has been pure upside. Early in the year there was talk he could battle Kakko, and he was a slam dunk #3 most the year.

Then U18 came & he seemed to disappoint, but talk is he might've been battling an injury. Had a great World Junior. Bounced around the leagues in Russia but was a good player in VHL & MHL. Maybe he's a 1st liner, maybe he's a 2nd liner but he'll give a full effort all over the ice. 

He'll play netfront on the 1st PP, he'll be great on the PK, and he'll be able to make things happen by himself throughout the course of a game.

Think his strength & work ethic will be a real shot in the arm for our team. 

• Upvote 2

The Russian factor scares the crap out of me, and I don't like the fact that he won't be available to us for two years. That being said, I've been wrong about the last two picks, so I'll give the benefit of the doubt to our staff.

As a player he looks like exactly what we need up front. Him and Horvat are going to give opposing teams nightmares. Now we just need a top line LW and a top pairing right handed D.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Any player you take won't be NHL ready for 2 or 3 years

I don't think that's necessarily true. Hughes made the jump in his draft +1. Petey made the jump in his draft +2 (and judging by his 2017-18 season in the SHL, he probably could have made the jump earlier). Seems to me as though high end prospects these days are making the jump earlier than they were years ago. 

It's a moot point regardless. 

7 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Looking forward to a lineup consisting of Boeser Pettersson Horvat Hughes Demko Juolevi and Pod in a couple years.

I really hope Sven is around for that. Got a soft spot for the guy

7 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said: