The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

3 hours ago, FaninMex said:

I did not see it as I am in Europe. Was there another player in the area? Was it a set play were the other player never got into position?

Might have been a set play but just looked like a brain fart to me,   more telling was his reaction. Poor guy. There was a few times where his line mates probably could have dumped the puck into the zone but instead held onto it and stuffed up the entry. Maybe the team isn't on the same page at the moment. 

1 hour ago, deus.ex.makina said:

who's the 35 years old czech guy behind Vasily ? 

You're right!

Maybe they got his birthdate wrong (1981 not 2001).

Anyway, here's the link to Elite Prospects:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/297677/radek-kucerik 

Radek Kucerik

Plays for the WHL Blades.

Big guy; looks way older than he is in several photos online.

9 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Is this just slang for he’s good defensively and not dynamic offensively? 

Which is fine, you probably win more games because of his simple plays than you lose. And not everyone can be Peter or Hughes, but let’s not pretend he’s having a good tournament so far. To be fair neither is his team.

its hard to pass and score at the same time. He created 3 or 4 nice chances last night that his line did nothing with, it must be very frustrating for him. 

I don't agree that he doesn't know how to screen.... he's the only guy who has that job on his team. 

Last nights game reminded me of watching the Wild and the boring-ass 1-0, 2-1 style that annoyed us for so many years. 

• Cheers 1

Screening certainly doesn't help when the D can't get any shots through. Or settle blue line feeds either. Czechs played a hell of a game. Russian defense could have been better. 

Is it just me or is he not getting the ice time he deserves? For one of the better players, hes not on any of the PPs abd played maybe a minute after they went down 2 zip. 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, StiffStick33 said:

Screening certainly doesn't help when the D can't get any shots through. Or settle blue line feeds either. Czechs played a hell of a game. Russian defense could have been better. 

Is it just me or is he not getting the ice time he deserves? For one of the better players, hes not on any of the PPs abd played maybe a minute after they went down 2 zip. 

He's on pp1. Plays the net front.  

Not sure if he's playing like he deserves more ice time but it would be nice to see him play with more skilled guys. He's much too unselfish with the puck to be a line driver, and the guys he's with aren't helping much.

That said for a guy who one of his main attributes is work ethic I'd like to see him skating more and grinding out there. He's floating a lot and being quite passive. Seems like a mental thing for him right now, I don't see him playing his best hockey out there

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Outsiders said:

He looks hurt right now. He was gliding a lot tonight and I didn't see him actually try to use his speed. Wonder if he's got a groin or foot injury? Normally he gives it 100% and it looks like he's giving 60% out there. I doubt its from a lack of effort but I can't help but notice it. It was like watching Jake (skating only), I was like move your feet and use your speed!

For my sins (I bought the TSN one month deal but can't get it in the US) I am watching a Russian TV feed on YouTube.  During the first intermission they were saying that he is playing hurt - hasn't fully recovered from that elbow to the face, and when he stumbled on the hit got a hip or wrist injury (as far as I could make out - my Russian leaves a lot to be desired).   I don't know if they were quoting Larianov (his pic was on the screen at the time) or if it was just the commentator's thoughts,  but he said "80% of Vasily is better than 100% of most on the team"

If he is playing thru an injury, that would explain a lot these last 2 games

Edited by Googlie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

He's on pp1. Plays the net front.  

Not sure if he's playing like he deserves more ice time but it would be nice to see him play with more skilled guys. He's much too unselfish with the puck to be a line driver, and the guys he's with aren't helping much.

That said for a guy who one of his main attributes is work ethic I'd like to see him skating more and grinding out there. He's floating a lot and being quite passive. Seems like a mental thing for him right now, I don't see him playing his best hockey out there

Have you seen a good one timer from the point or wing on the Russian PP yet? I also expected a more physical game from them. Pods threw that beautiful cross ice pass on the PP but his team mate fanned on the finish. 

• Cheers 1

Oh, and another number to throw into the mix .... at one stoppage he was beside a fairly tall Czech defenseman and the 2 on-air were commenting on it.  They had a discussion about Podz' height and their concensus seemed to be 194 cms, which translated, is 6 feet 4.378 inches (maybe that explains that seemingly long stick in the clip above)

He was a huge net front presence and, like Petey, isn't a selfish player but maybe needs to be a bit more so.  He set up some beautiful chances and it's not really his fault if they weren't capitalized on.  Seems he was given more leeway TO move away from the net as the game went on.

People really need to pace themselves a bit more and not decide (Cup Or) Bust so quickly.  He did some good things out there...unfortunately, his team really didn't.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Zhukini said:

I have time for the WJC doesnt mean anything for his NHL career, just ask Jordan Schroeder.

But, I don’t see what there is to praise, unless you really cherry pick. He doesn’t drive a line, doesn’t screen properly, passes into no one a lot, and missed the net more than he hits the net.

Yes he is defensively responsible, but I’m struggling to drink the koolaid other than that. 

I do see a lot of Burrows tho, in a player who probably doesn’t score 20 on a line other than with the Sedins, but could be the perfect complimentary piece with the right players, which were lucky enough to have already.

I agree with this. There should be no denying that he didn’t look good out there. Way too much floating around watching the play to be effective. With that said, the whole Russian team besides the goalie was playing pretty terribly. Little to no chemistry happening between line mates and couldn’t move the puck quick enough to get good shooting lanes. Hoping they rebound in the next one.

Edited by HomeBrew

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

He's in the right places, doing the right things. I see a guy who's team isn't stepping up around him tbh. Larionov clearly has given Podz certain jobs and the kid is doing what he can. He maybe made one passing error last night, either that or a guy on his line was out of position on a set play. 

I guess others aren't pleased, but I really like what I see out of this kid. 

I get that out of you Jimmy

But really, commenting on a hockey stick in a picture? is reaching just a little..........

A short stick is for stickhandling in a phone booth, and nothing more

the longer stick, if is actually long, gives a much harder shot

Which is funny, because Podz has absolutely no problem with controlling the puck in tight

and has to work on his shot...........his passes seem to be spot on, so

If his stick is longer, it may be to improve what he and the coaches feel is a weaker shot

Again, I know you know this but some just don't, which is why I am spelling it out

The kid is 19 and not an "generational, elite" talent some of you expect

IMO, I think he develops in to a JT Miller type.....and that is bad How?

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 1

He's been fine. Not as good as last year but he isn't playing with the same talents as last year. Definitely hasn't been bad. Could have easily had points and then everyone would be happy.  Passes into no one a lot? That isn't remotely true. Floating around? The majority of zone entries by the Russians are on the left side; he plays the right wing and net front for the most part. Is he supposed to just charge around the O-zone until someone can get the puck over to the right side or towards the net? I think what people see as "floating" is a guy waiting patiently for one of his linemates to actually get the puck anywhere in his vicinity so he can do something ; something they (esp. Khusnutdinov) fail to do repeatedly. I'm glad they tried him with Chinakhov towards the end  and hope they stick with it in the next game. I would like to see more of his playmaking but it also takes someone on the other end to convert.

Edited by BlastPast
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1