The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

On 6/2/2021 at 5:17 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

A lot of CDC pundits will hate this suggestion. Hate the contract already in place, wish it were...

I would think a great role to start next year would be a 3rd line of;

Antoine Roussel _________ Vasili Podkolzin

I can imagine teams HATING to see that line come over the boards! Two physical wingers who hunt on the fore check, win board battles, throw in an extra shot? 

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Who's rating him high?

Anchoring poor VP with Roussel.  

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Fun fact: Canucks actually save cap (total over 2 years) burying Roussel in the AHL, rather than buying him out.

Additional fun fact: Eriksson and Beagle are also negative aggregate cap savings buyouts, so much like Roussel, they save more cap space just buried in the AHL than bought out. :( 

Those players’ agents definitely knew what they were doing, when they convinced JB to structure contracts for aging veterans that are essentially “buyout proof.”

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Those players’ agents definitely knew what they were doing, when they convinced JB to structure contracts for aging veterans that are essentially “buyout proof.”

I have not looked into it but I would not be surprised if there are a number of other GM's that wound up signing contracts like this for aging free agents; especially for those players whose services were still in demand.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
grammar
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I have not looked into it but I would not be surprised if there are a number of other GM's wound up signing contracts like this for aging free agents; especially for those players whose services were still in demand.

Oh, of course. Any good agent is going to try to get as many benefits written into contracts that they can. It’s their job to look out for their client’s interests.

And I’m not looking to start a pro/anti JB argument in a prospect thread. I’m sure those veteran contracts aren’t all that unique, and other teams have similar deals on their books.

As to whether or not they were a good idea for the Canucks, specifically? Again, we can debate that in one of the many management threads, but I’m well past being interested in those arguments, as I already have my views. Re-litigating those moves is sort of pointless now. And even more so, given how polarized everyone has become, when it comes to JB. It’s rare those arguments ever go anywhere productive.

It’s just unfortunate that those contracts kinda “suck” (to quote Luongo), and especially when we’re in a situation where I think we can all agree that more cap flexibility would be very helpful, as far as making the necessary moves to improve this roster, and open a competitive window as early as possible.

• Cheers 2

I think the point of those front loaded contracts isn't to make them buyout proof, but rather to facilitate a trade at the tail end when the actual salary is lower.  The cap hit ofc is averaged out over the term of the contract, but prudent salary management will make it putatively easier to trade towards the end.   So I credit (blame?) Canucks management, and not Eriksson's/Roussel's agents for the situation we are in.

6 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I think the point of those front loaded contracts isn't to make them buyout proof, but rather to facilitate a trade at the tail end when the actual salary is lower.  The cap hit ofc is averaged out over the term of the contract, but prudent salary management will make it putatively easier to trade towards the end.   So I credit (blame?) Canucks management, and not Eriksson's/Roussel's agents for the situation we are in.

The agents are just doing their jobs; as it should be.

Day one of training camp I am sure Podkolzin is not on one of the top 2 lines but I wouldn't bet he is not there by the end of day 2 . I do see Miller on Petey's wing helping with faceoffs and personally I think he is way more effective there than as a center . But If Petey gets better at it or Pods becomes efficient at taking Faceoffs I think Pods-Petey-Boeser  will be Canucks First line for years to come 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Nurnge said:

Day one of training camp I am sure Podkolzin is not on one of the top 2 lines but I wouldn't bet he is not there by the end of day 2 . I do see Miller on Petey's wing helping with faceoffs and personally I think he is way more effective there than as a center . But If Petey gets better at it or Pods becomes efficient at taking Faceoffs I think Pods-Petey-Boeser  will be Canucks First line for years to come 

I like Miller centering another line, but it wont be your traditional grinding 3rd line so to speak. I think with Petey gone the last half of the season showed Miller is capable of carrying a line. I dunno if Green will consider Miller jumping in on key draws defensively when Petey is on the ice like what Malhotra did here which worked out well, win the draw, go back to the bench and then Hogs or whoever jumps in. Miller will still get his ice time in the PP but I think the team is just much more balanced with 3 lines that could score

On 6/4/2021 at 10:57 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Additional fun fact: Eriksson and Beagle are also negative aggregate cap savings buyouts, so much like Roussel, they save more cap space just buried in the AHL than bought out. :( 

Not necessarily. I think it's quite possible these guys would rather see partial cash and a buyout then playing in the minors.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

wow, thats the KHL version of sending someone to a reeducation camp I guess. 

Really seems like the exact opposite thing you would want to do if you were trying to get someone to stay on your team ? But maybe I just think like that cause I didn't grow up under  there system of screwed up Gov't 

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Not necessarily. I think it's quite possible these guys would rather see partial cash and a buyout then playing in the minors.

Until recently, I would have agreed with that. But now that playing in the minors for Canucks includes staying in the same home with your family and fighting less traffic on the way to work, not so much.

19 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Until recently, I would have agreed with that. But now that playing in the minors for Canucks includes staying in the same home with your family and fighting less traffic on the way to work, not so much.

Yeah, that's definitely true.

Podkolzin is starting on the 3rd line and staying there for a while.  

He might even sit out for a couple of games while he’s practicing with his new team and learning.... and that will be perfectly fine, although I’m sure that we will have Twitter meltdowns over it.