The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I'd like to see Boeser and Horvat play together and Pettersson play with Podkolzin. Good balance of skill and two way play.

Podkolzin would be exactly the mix of physical nastiness, skill and speed combination which EP could use on his line.... good deterrent for cheapshot artists.

This guys playing style is closest to Ovechkin... he is not as big and obviously not the monster talent which Alex is.... but he likes to bang and has the same speed and good hands.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I'd like to see Boeser and Horvat play together and Pettersson play with Podkolzin. Good balance of skill and two way play.

Yeah, I could see that happening as well. Brock and Bo have worked well together in the past, and with Pod playing on Petey's side, we wouldn't have to worry so much about finding a bigger top 6 LW to play with Petey. It opens up our options a bit. 

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Having both bigger wingers on their off side with Bo would be one nasty line.  Panarin, right shot LW with Petey and Boeser.  That is a pretty decent top 6. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"Vasily is a different player. He's physically strong on the walls and getting to the net. He gives us a different style of player. He can do the dirty work, he's got the size & strength. He's actually better on the smaller sheet of ice, he gets better looks." - Benning on Podkolzin

I'm concerned about this pick. But Benning constantly shows he knows his stuff. In Benning We Trust. 

• Upvote 2

Never thought he'd drop to us, never thought we'd take him if he did. This is a swing for the fences, JB's got some big fat danglers on this one.

Honestly a much more interesting pick than anything I thought we would get. Does everything Krebs does with size, does everything Boldy does but is also a nasty piece of business. The russian factor is the only reason we even got this kid, hopefully this can be a new beginning for the Canucks and Russian players.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I am sure lots of other people has the same reactions as me.

1. When we got past #8 and Zegras was still available I was hoping he would still be there at #10 for the Canucks to take. From the looks on the faces of the Canuck group I bet they were thinking the same thing.

2. I was wondering if the Canucks could pass on Podkolzin at #10. He was obviously the highest rated and no doubt the most talented player available, but the Russian factor is a genuine risk.

3. With Krebs, Soderstrom, and Newhook all still available, I thought the Canucks might trade down. I would have been delighted to trade down and get Krebs or Newhook at 14 or 15 or 16 and maybe get an extra 2nd round pick.

4. It is too bad that Podkolzin is signed in Russia for the next two years. In the last few years we have seen Hughes make a late appearance in his draft+1 year, EP be the best player on the team in his draft+2 year, and Boeser make an impressive late season showing in his draft+2 year. Podkolzin won't be around until his draft+3 year. But, hey, he might be another Calder candidate when he does show up.

5. It was a bit alarming to hear him do his interview through a translator. Reminds me of Tryamkin.

6. But, overall, I can't complain about this peak. He could be the steal of the draft. And i have to respect Benning for making this pick.

7. At least he will be in the World Juniors for the next two years.

We learned in the last couple of weeks, when media were trying to find out what it would take to get Tryamkin out of his contract, that it takes 18 months to get out of a KHL deal. If the Canucks started now, they would be able to get him out of that deal by Christmas of next year. They could also give him enough signing bonus to buy himself out of his KHL deal. Apart from Kakko, Pod is the most NHL ready player in this draft. All the Canucks have to do is throw a bit of extra money at the kid, so he can buy himself out. This kid on Petey's wing is going to look amazing.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We seem to be cleaning up because of "factors" the last few drafts.

First it was Petey with the weight and strength factor, then it was Hughes with the height factor.

Let us keep taking elite players that other teams don't have the cajones to take.

Too True