The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

9 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

The plays style him and Hog have looks great for playoff hockey. This tournament has made me even more happy with those 2 picks

Amen brotha, the future can’t come soon enough. 
Both of them have a lot to improve on but I can see Hoglander splitting time between Utica and NHL next year and Podkolzin might be able to come straight in, 2 years from now. 

Podkolzin actually reminds me a lot of Oscar Sundqvist from St Louis, which would be great. Him and Barbashev formed their second best line in their run to the cup last year. 

23 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Amen brotha, the future can’t come soon enough. 
Both of them have a lot to improve on but I can see Hoglander splitting time between Utica and NHL next year and Podkolzin might be able to come straight in, 2 years from now. 

Podkolzin actually reminds me a lot of Oscar Sundqvist from St Louis, which would be great. Him and Barbashev formed their second best line in their run to the cup last year. 

Interesting comparison. I'm a big fan of Sundqvist. He was an excellent pickup for the Blues.

I still feel Podkolzin has more scoring upside and a bigger element of nastiness in his game. Not nasty as in 'goon', but he plays with that extra bit of jam.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we actually have talent now that can finish, with Petey, Brock and Miller, and Hoglander if he can make the show. Putting a guy like Pod's in with them is pretty damn exciting. 

Its also nice to see that all the angst over his development seems to be overblown, he's performing really well and I don't think has been harmed at all in the KHL system. 

Not a huge fan of his development path, but I’m not an expert I think the kid is smart enough to put himself on the right path so I’ll trust in him

• Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Not in the least. He has been playing against men. If we had drafted him from junior over here, he probably would still be in junior, destroying the kids there. And then all the angst would be about "yeah, but what will he look like playing against men?"

LOL so right, Lumme.  When you consider that he is just 18yrs, he would likely be playing in Jrs for at least another year or two, so his contract in the VHL/KHL is fine.  That way he can move back and forth between the two levels seamlessly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Not a huge fan of his development path, but I’m not an expert I think the kid is smart enough to put himself on the right path so I’ll trust in him

you know that could be part of it... and would be really good if it was. I'm just happy the kid looks like the real deal, reading some of the posts you'd think he'd been sent to the Russian ECHL.

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you know that could be part of it... and would be really good if it was. I'm just happy the kid looks like the real deal, reading some of the posts you'd think he'd been sent to the Russian ECHL.

Yeah, the peeps just don't understand the differing levels.  Podz is currently playing in the VHL and sometimes gets a callup to the KHL.   KHL > SHL (remember Pete played for Vazjo before coming to Vancouver) and VHL > SEL (remember Pete played for Timra in his draft year).

If Podz was in Canada, he would be in Jrs, which is << than any of the aforementioned teams.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I still feel Podkolzin has more scoring upside and a bigger element of nastiness in his game. Not nasty as in 'goon', but he plays with that extra bit of jam.

Why do you say this?

Pods was not nasty at all during this tournament?  I keep hearing that but never see it when I watch him.

Edit: when I have asked others the same question they just say cuz Pods is great along the boards. Being great along the boards has nothing to do with being nasty.  So I look forward to your thoughts.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

18 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Why do you say this?

Pods was not nasty at all during this tournament?  I keep hearing that but never see it when I watch him.

Edit: when I have asked others the same question they just say cuz Pods is great along the boards. Being great along the boards has nothing to do with being nasty.  So I look forward to your thoughts.

he says why right in his post. If you dont see him playing with "jam" im not sure what you watched.

• Cheers 3
  • Wat 1

10 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

he says why right in his post. If you dont see him playing with "jam" im not sure what you watched.

"jam" and nasty are two way different things.  I watched all Pods games.  He is great on the boards and does not shy from contact. But he was not nasty at all. 

I guess you either did not watch the games or don't understand the difference.

Anyway, I was asking the guy who said Pods was nasty just so I understand champ.

10 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

"jam" and nasty are two way different things.  I watched all Pods games.  He is great on the boards and does not shy from contact. But he was not nasty at all. 

I guess you either did not watch the games or don't understand the difference.

Anyway, I was asking the guy who said Pods was nasty just so I understand champ.

Well he speared a guy in the balls today or was it the last game. I cant remember

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

Well he speared a guy in the balls today or was it the last game. I cant remember

He did not spear a German player, that was just bad angle from camera. Vasily extended his stick to stop that German player from attacking another Russian player (Marchenko I think). Podkolzin got minor penalty for slashing.

• Like 2