The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

36 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

He did not spear a German player, that was just bad angle from camera. Vasily extended his stick to stop that German player from attacking another Russian player (Marchenko I think). Podkolzin got minor penalty for slashing.

You may be right. I remember not being able to see exactly what happened just recalled a player hunched over in real discomfort as he skated to the bench and while sitting on the bench. Their face had that look!

Though I thought it was odd that the commentators did not say much about it during the replay.

EDIT: I remember now.

It was against the Swiss. After a whistle a Swiss player nudged Pod from behind so Pod took a dig into the guys mid-section. Penalty was called a slash in the 3rd period. Swiss player was definitely in discomfort ;)

Edited by AV's Coin

2 hours ago, AV's Coin said:

It was against the Swiss. After a whistle a Swiss player nudged Pod from behind so Pod took a dig into the guys mid-section. Penalty was called a slash in the 3rd period. Swiss player was definitely in discomfort ;)

You are right - this was in the game against Switzerland!

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats what I've thought too. I don't mind that the KHL system makes kids earn their time either, and also makes them earn their way up the lineup. But I'm old school. 

:shock:  Don't say that around here!  You'll be swarmed by those who crucify Green and Cull for making our idolized prospects learn to play the game the right way rather than gifting them ice time!!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Yeah, the peeps just don't understand the differing levels.  Podz is currently playing in the VHL and sometimes gets a callup to the KHL.   KHL > SHL (remember Pete played for Vazjo before coming to Vancouver) and VHL > SEL (remember Pete played for Timra in his draft year).

If Podz was in Canada, he would be in Jrs, which is << than any of the aforementioned teams.

I also like that the kid isn't given too many minutes, I do think when these guys are still hitting growth spurts rest is really key to their development.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I also like that the kid isn't given too many minutes, I do think when these guys are still hitting growth spurts rest is really key to their development.

Pods is still growing? That's nice to hear. It's certainly possible at his age. Another inch and another 20 lbs and he will be a beast in the NHL.

5 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

the so called puck retriever for pettersson that Gillis said he would fine for Petey if he was the gm.

Podkolzin is much more than just a puck retriever, he is a play creator. His work below the goal line on the PP today was a revelation. He had the most icetime today of any Russian forward - over 22 minutes - second only to their top defenceman.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

He may not get much icetime in the KHL, but he sure did today - most of any forward on his team - courtesy of his coach today, Larianov - one of the smartest guys that ever played the game.

23 hours ago, stawns said:

The more I watch him, the more I think that's the best comparable for Podz.......though I think he's got more skill than Bo.

I don't know that you can compare skill until he hits the NHL...it's a different animal with tougher opponents.

47 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Podkolzin is much more than just a puck retriever, he is a play creator. His work below the goal line on the PP today was a revelation. He had the most icetime today of any Russian forward - over 22 minutes - second only to their top defenceman.

The Russian team is all 19yr old players but for Podz and one other player who are 18yrs.  Given his age, the ice time is indicative of his superior skill level.

16 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

I'm confused. Isn't the gold medal game still going? People are talking about Podkolzin getting 22 minutes like the game already happened.

Damn, I hate when those time travellers come back just to spoil games for us. At least he was considerate enough not to tell us the final score.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Pretty quiet gold medal game for Pod. 

Made a few good plays in the PK and the one drive to the net to draw a penalty near the end.

Dumb to come to any conclusions of a player during the WJCs but from what I saw he's going to be a responsible player who distributes the puck very well but not sure if he has the offensive instincts to be a very effective offensive player at the NHL level.

Watching him play makes me think they should convert him to center. The way he focuses on defensive play and distributes the puck makes me think he's a perfect 3rd line center that could be a solid 2nd if he develops his offensive game more. 

I was thinking he reminds me of Kesler in that he can be used to bring the puck up the ice and gain the zone. Pod looks to see the ice better than Kes with better passing distribution whereas keslers shot was probably better.

Pods is great along the boards and has that compete level of Kes as well.

Converting to centre is interesting but we need a couple top line wingers as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

Not ripping the kid at all, I think he’s a solid piece for the future for the Nucks...but I’m still surprised he hasn’t been a more forceful presence for the Russians.

I think Podz had a very good tourney, considering his age.  He played big minutes and marked 6pts in 7 games, which is as good or better than a lot of 18yr old player at this and previous tournaments.

He didn't have his greatest game today, but I don't think he hurt his team either.  Due to the awful reffing, it was a weird game with +++ intensity, which may have thrown him off a bit.  Whatever.  He will play again next year and we will see what he can do.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2