The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Meh, didn't notice him much but not every WJC star goes on to do anything special in the NHL so him not lighting the world on fire isn't super relevant. I like his game and still think he'll be a star when it counts, when he is wearing blue and green. And occasionally red, black and yellow assuming we keep doing those in the future. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/4/2020 at 7:34 AM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

PodkolIn has such gfeat vision and playmaking skills. No one can finish though

It was like watching Petey deal back door tap-ins during his WJC and watching Alex Nylander whiff on them.

I love the Burrows comparison for this guy. Awkward skating, plays hunched over with his stick on the ice and has great hockey IQ for a 200 foot game. I really think he is the perfect winger for Horvat.

2 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Not ripping the kid at all, I think he’s a solid piece for the future for the Nucks...but I’m still surprised he hasn’t been a more forceful presence for the Russians.

Keep in mind, he's only 4 months older than Lafreniere and he's still growing. The fact that he got 6 points in seven games is reason for excitement imo. I feel like he's a Mark Stone comparable through and through. 

I just tuned in for the last 15 minutes of the third period and kept watching for Podz, but never did see him on the ice.  If he was on the ice, his shifts were either really short and/or he wasn't getting near the puck.  That really surprised me in big game like this.  It made me wonder if he might have a minor injury of some kind.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I just tuned in for the last 15 minutes of the third period and kept watching for Podz, but never did see him on the ice.  If he was on the ice, his shifts were either really short and/or he wasn't getting near the puck.  That really surprised me in big game like this.  It made me wonder if he might have a minor injury of some kind.

Huh?

He was on the ice. Watch it again.

3 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Not ripping the kid at all, I think he’s a solid piece for the future for the Nucks...but I’m still surprised he hasn’t been a more forceful presence for the Russians.

he's been the best russian, imo.  Put him with players who can score and he's one of the best in the tourney.

• Haha 1

Podkolzin seems like a very smart and complete player with a playmaking instinct.

Has that compete level that makes it hard for other players to deal with him.

Can't wait to see how he fits in the NHL because there's so much potential there.

Who knows what type of a player he becomes. 

Really exciting!

Edited by Tystick
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

he's been the best russian, imo.  Put him with players who can score and he's one of the best in the tourney.

He seems like a guy that isn't getting many chances but is still doing everything in his power to get noticed. I kept asking to see him on the PP. Getting the Jake Virtanen treatment, outplaying the guys playing more than him but not moving up the lineup. Podkolzin is gonna be a huge fan favourite in Vancouver. Guy plays hard every time he is out there.

32 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

You can watch it for me.

I'm sure he was out there.  Just a bit surprised that at that point, in that game, he wasn't a more prominent player.  That's all.

He drew the penalty on Bahl right near the end of the game by driving from the corner to the net...he was almost to the net when Bahl hauled him down....that stated the string of penalties that ended the game.

Bothe Pdoz and Hogs are play driver's...they were both on the first PP unit and Podz had some PK time as well.

They will both be just fine....

2 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

You can watch it for me.

I'm sure he was out there.  Just a bit surprised that at that point, in that game, he wasn't a more prominent player.  That's all.

You must not have watched.

He was prominent. He is the youngest player in a U19 tournament.  What a stupid comment from someone that did not watch.

No offence.

• Wat 1

It doesn’t make sense to me how the points don’t just pile up for this kid.  
He plays hard, wins the battles, makes the plays.  But just doesn’t get the points he works so hard for.   
Is it a case of “it will go in for him eventually” or is his game the thankless behind the scenes workhorse.  
He plays the right way.....

Who knows. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1