The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

50 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Lack of IQ, he forces the play too much. He deserves more points but he certainly wasn't taking over. So many people here are really trying their best to hold the rose coloured glasses to their faces. He's a long way of being a benefit for us as a skill player. He puts his teammates into bad positions with his passes in the neutral zone, has a lot of turnovers on the cycle and ultimately doesn't think the game well (yet) when checked heavily. 

He'll get there but he definitely isn't there yet. He wasn't dominant in the tournament (rather invisible if we compare him to some other more prominent Russians). He's young, still has lots of time but he has the tools he just needs to figure out how to use them. His foreechecking is fantastic though and his board play is great for his age. He's hit and miss with his passing/timing but he can figure that out. 

We'll see eventually if things click but right now he's gonna be more of a checker than a skill guy. 

I wouldn't say he lacks IQ, I'd say his skillset is raw/unfinished. He needs a few years of fine tuning, you did hit the nail on the head though. Despite certain obvious struggles, he was an impact player which should inspire a ton of optimism. We are gonna have some imposing wingers in a few years.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

That game was botched by horrible refereeing, I’d be reluctant to even wear the gold.

Ya I think refs took the shine off the gold medal.  If that happened to team Canada id boycott watching the tournament next year..

We'd be going crazy right now including the media ..

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, SilentSam said:

That game was botched by horrible refereeing, I’d be reluctant to even wear the gold.

Players can only play in the situation they are given. 

What happened with the Refs is on the Refs and the IIHF.

Canada did what they had to to win and should celebrate openly with the joy they deserve. 

Certainly it seems fair that this would haunt the Russian players, especially after destroying Canada in prelims and carrying most of this game.  That a couple of the Russian players took the medals off is not unreasonable.  At least they weren't throwing them in the crowd.  Silver is the hardest medal to win in these types of tournaments, you just don't see the success, you feel the loss.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Ya I think refs took the shine off the gold medal.  If that happened to team Canada id boycott watching the tournament next year..

The Canadian players didn't seem to mind.  It is an accomplishment and thrill of a lifetime as could be seen by their excitement after fighting back hard and winning. Yea reffing sucked.  But they did fight back to win.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Silver is the hardest medal to win in these types of tournaments, you just don't see the success, you feel the loss.

Gold imo is the hardest to win.

But Silver is likely, as perhaps you're indicating, often the most bitter to end up with.  

9 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Lack of IQ, he forces the play too much. He deserves more points but he certainly wasn't taking over. So many people here are really trying their best to hold the rose coloured glasses to their faces. He's a long way of being a benefit for us as a skill player. He puts his teammates into bad positions with his passes in the neutral zone, has a lot of turnovers on the cycle and ultimately doesn't think the game well (yet) when checked heavily. 

He'll get there but he definitely isn't there yet. He wasn't dominant in the tournament (rather invisible if we compare him to some other more prominent Russians). He's young, still has lots of time but he has the tools he just needs to figure out how to use them. His foreechecking is fantastic though and his board play is great for his age. He's hit and miss with his passing/timing but he can figure that out. 

We'll see eventually if things click but right now he's gonna be more of a checker than a skill guy. 

Lack of IQ?  Not sure what tournament you were watching.  His iq and ability to see the play develop was one of his biggest strengths and biggest surprises for me.  He made some unreal plays........Petey level plays.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Not even remotely........all teams benefit from calls and all teams feel the sting.  That's hockey.

A minute before the camera play a Russian slashes the stick out of a Canadians hand, in the  Russian zone, allowing them to turn the play up ice and attack.  If the ref makes that call it's game over.

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pods is actually the opposite of Jake.  He’s closer to Matt Tkatchuk.  Minus the puke part. 

I hope someone does an analysis of scoring chances created, if Podz isn't in the top 3 of that list I'd be surprised. 

36 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I hope someone does an analysis of scoring chances created, if Podz isn't in the top 3 of that list I'd be surprised. 

I don't actually watch Podz play and rely on those who actually do for updates but what seems to be so common in those updates is how many grade A set ups his linemates miss and people complain about lack of IQ and production. I get the impression that if he had linemates who had better finish he would have much more appealing stats. He sounds more like a playmaker than a goal scorer which is fine because we have lots of shooters and potentially hogs on the way too.

Refs in almost all sports make decisions on split second action.  We have been dumping on NHL, NFL, MLB umps, etc for years.  Yes, there were some sketchy calls throughout the whole Jr. tournament.  Would have NHL refs there result in any better decisions?  Just asking.

Clearly some folks saw Pods tournament differently than me and some others...who may have been expecting more “bull in a china shop” Pods than the somewhat restrained play that jumped out at me.

I readily admit that the coach may have had a lot to do with not taking the shackles off him. His play seemed to err more on defensive prudence than offensive thrust to me. A whole bunch of Russians looked more dangerous offensively. “But he’s so young still!” I’ve heard it said. To that I would respond with “Lafreniere”.

Is any of this really significant though? Probably not. Schoeder and Hodgson had monster tourneys. Bo struggled in his WJC. I thought that Quinn Hughes in his last world juniors was just ok. Look at these two Canuck pillars now...my god.

So....any conclusions drawn from this tournament are likely pretty dumb.

Cant wait till Pod arrives. Hope it’s sooner than we think.

• Wat 1

23 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

Refs in almost all sports make decisions on split second action.  We have been dumping on NHL, NFL, MLB umps, etc for years.  Yes, there were some sketchy calls throughout the whole Jr. tournament.  Would have NHL refs there result in any better decisions?  Just asking.

It's no easy feat reffing a fast and fierce game like hockey.  The NHL is the fastest and fiercest league in the world and no other league can compete with them.  Like it or not, NHL officiating is the best in the world as well.

• Cheers 1