The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

20 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Clearly some folks saw Pods tournament differently than me and some others...who may have been expecting more “bull in a china shop” Pods than the somewhat restrained play that jumped out at me.

I readily admit that the coach may have had a lot to do with not taking the shackles off him. His play seemed to err more on defensive prudence than offensive thrust to me. A whole bunch of Russians looked more dangerous offensively. “But he’s so young still!” I’ve heard it said. To that I would respond with “Lafreniere”.

Is any of this really significant though? Probably not. Schoeder and Hodgson had monster tourneys. Bo struggled in his WJC. I thought that Quinn Hughes in his last world juniors was just ok. Look at these two Canuck pillars now...my god.

So....any conclusions drawn from this tournament are likely pretty dumb.

Cant wait till Pod arrives. Hope it’s sooner than we think.

I wonder how much of an offensive role Pod was given. I didn't really watch the tourney with the timezones and such but from what I did watch I didn't see Pod used a whole lot with the more skilled Russian players. He is a lot like Jake in that he doesn't need to be scoring or playing with offensive players to have a positive impact on the game. Albeit he is a superior Jake with a far better forecheck and all around game. 

54 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Clearly some folks saw Pods tournament differently than me and some others...who may have been expecting more “bull in a china shop” Pods than the somewhat restrained play that jumped out at me.

I readily admit that the coach may have had a lot to do with not taking the shackles off him. His play seemed to err more on defensive prudence than offensive thrust to me. A whole bunch of Russians looked more dangerous offensively. “But he’s so young still!” I’ve heard it said. To that I would respond with “Lafreniere”.

Is any of this really significant though? Probably not. Schoeder and Hodgson had monster tourneys. Bo struggled in his WJC. I thought that Quinn Hughes in his last world juniors was just ok. Look at these two Canuck pillars now...my god.

I think they leaned on some of their older players for offense and pushed Podkolzin to maintain his 2 way game and to be defensively responsible.

The points that I take away from the tournament are:

#1. He was extremely effective, even though he's still just an 18 year old.

#2. Benning and a number of other scouts believe that he could easily be playing in the NHL now, and I take their evaluation over anyone else on this board, especially when we look at how good Benning is at identifying talent.

#3. As I demonstrated a number of pages ago, there were a LOT of scouts going into the draft who had Podkolzin slotted in as a top 3 talent in the draft. The ONLY reason we got him was because he was still signed to the KHL for 2 more seasons. He "should" be a force when he enters the NHL at the end of next season or at the start of the following. One scout called him a STEAL at #7, we got him at 10.

Exciting prospect who we were extremely lucky to get.

• Upvote 1

Tainted Gold IMO. Canada should've been given that penalty, putting them at a 5 on 3. Russia would've scored, sending the game into OT. The Russians were ripped off.

As for Podkolzin, I thout he was okay, but I didn't get the "holy moley this guy is great" feels. He's a big. gritty kid who makes the occasional good play. I can't see him stepping right into the NHL, he's pretty raw. But it's still over a year away before the Canucks can sign him anyway, so there is time for him to fine-tune his game.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

2 hours ago, JC2 said:

I don't actually watch Podz play and rely on those who actually do for updates but what seems to be so common in those updates is how many grade A set ups his linemates miss and people complain about lack of IQ and production. I get the impression that if he had linemates who had better finish he would have much more appealing stats. He sounds more like a playmaker than a goal scorer which is fine because we have lots of shooters and potentially hogs on the way too.

I think some of the opinions are a bit wonky, not sure you can actually be a good playmaker while having no hockey IQ. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Tainted Gold IMO. Canada should've been given that penalty, putting them at a 5 on 3. Russia would've scored, sending the game into OT. The Russians were ripped off.

As for Podkolzin, I thout he was okay, but I didn't get the "holy moley this guy is great" feels. He's a big. gritty kid who makes the occasional good play. I can't see him stepping right into the NHL, he's pretty raw. But it's still over a year away before the Canucks can sign him anyway, so there is time for him to fine-tune his game.

Absolutely agree, viewers were robbed of OT.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

I agree with bolded and that was his intention going into the tournament.......to be the top Russian defensive fwd.  He was, essentially, a ppg player and he should have had at least 5 more points, setting up point blank shots for his linemates who, obviously, couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat.

I watched every Russian game and I was floored at how he saw the play a few steps ahead and how skilled he was with his passes.  I get that he didn't get the the points, but man, he made some Petey level plays that weren't converted by his linemates.  I think he could have been the leading scorer in the tournament with better linemates.

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, JC2 said:

I don't actually watch Podz play and rely on those who actually do for updates but what seems to be so common in those updates is how many grade A set ups his linemates miss and people complain about lack of IQ and production. I get the impression that if he had linemates who had better finish he would have much more appealing stats. He sounds more like a playmaker than a goal scorer which is fine because we have lots of shooters and potentially hogs on the way too.

I wouldn't say a ppg are un-appealing stats, but I see where you're coming from

9 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Players can only play in the situation they are given. 

What happened with the Refs is on the Refs and the IIHF.

Canada did what they had to to win and should celebrate openly with the joy they deserve. 

Certainly it seems fair that this would haunt the Russian players, especially after destroying Canada in prelims and carrying most of this game.  That a couple of the Russian players took the medals off is not unreasonable.  At least they weren't throwing them in the crowd.  Silver is the hardest medal to win in these types of tournaments, you just don't see the success, you feel the loss.

It was a botched game .. plain and simple, the over the glass “delay of game” that hit the camera, the puck was already out of play and past the line of glass.. that’s why the referees called that penalty , which was subsequently, and wrongly overturned.

that would have had the Russian team playing against 3 Canadian forwards.

That was the biggest wrong.

the other head snap embellishments by primary Canadian players That drew penalties are ones that we should not be proud of.

those draw the Referees into making false calls.  The more this game gets skilled, the more embellishing and cheating it’s getting..

i for one am not proud of that win, or that game as a Canadian.  I like many of us here should be speaking up about all falsifying, embellishing, play. It will ruin the game.

the penalty for embellishment should be 4 mins. ... and I think referees should be able to review ALL of their calls in between periods, to be sure that a player isn’t goading a penalty, and trying to make a fool out of the referee. After an inbetween period review,   A four min penalty should be applied to the player who embellishes.

its NOT about evening out a previous penalty called.. it’s about Applying a  seriously deterrent to cheating and making a fool of a referee.  This game is going to degenerate if it continues..  I lost my flavour for World class Soccer/Football because of the same diving / cheating actors .

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

And that's why you'll probably never get a gold medal hung around your neck

It was a botched game .. plain and simple, the over the glass “delay of game” that hit the camera, the puck was already out of play and past the line of glass.. that’s why the referees called that penalty , which was subsequently, and wrongly overturned.

the other head snap embellishments by primary Canadian players That drew penalties are ones that we should not be proud of.

those draw the Referees into making false calls.  The more this game gets skilled, the more embellishing and cheating it’s getting..

i for one am not proud of that win, or that game as a Canadian.  I like many of us here should be speaking up about all falsifying, embellishing, play. It will ruin the game.

the penalty for embellishment should be 4 mins. ... and I think referees should be able to review ALL of their calls in between periods, to be sure that a player isn’t goading a penalty, and trying to make a fool out of the referee. After an inbetween period review,   A four min penalty should be applied to the player who embellishes.

its NOT about evening out a previous penalty called.. it’s about Applying a  seriously deterrent to cheating and making a fool of a referee.  This game is going to degenerate if it continues..  I lost my flavour for World class Soccer/Football because of the same diving / cheating actors .

6 hours ago, stawns said:

Good thing you don't have to then

It was a botched game .. plain and simple, the over the glass “delay of game” that hit the camera, the puck was already out of play and past the line of glass.. that’s why the referees called that penalty , which was subsequently, and wrongly overturned.

12 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

According to JB Podz is ready to step in and play on Canucks right now. He said Podz will be signed end of his KHL contract after next season and play in the NHL directly. Remember he's only 18. 

He said Hogz is ahead of schedule in his development

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ed-willes-musings-signing-jacob-markstrom-to-a-new-deal-should-be-canucks-top-priority/amp

Vasili Podkolzin, the Canucks first-rounder from this summer, has another season on his deal in Russia but Jim Benning has a pretty good idea of where he’ll be playing the year after that.

“We’ll sign him and he’ll step right in and play,” the Canucks’ GM said. “He could play right now.”

Podkolzin played a feature rule for Russia at the WJC, finishing with a goal and five points in seven games. The best part? He’s still only 18.

And here’s Benning on Nils Hoglander, the 19-year-old who led Sweden with 11 points in seven games at the WJC: “He’s ahead of schedule.”

thats got to be pretty motivating for Podz. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Imagine him as our 3rd line center/winger with Gaudette and Rousell.  That would be a pesty line.  

Pods, Gauds & Bitters