The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

It was a botched game .. plain and simple, the over the glass “delay of game” that hit the camera, the puck was already out of play and past the line of glass.. that’s why the referees called that penalty , which was subsequently, and wrongly overturned.

that would have had the Russian team playing against 3 Canadian forwards.

That was the biggest wrong.

the other head snap embellishments by primary Canadian players That drew penalties are ones that we should not be proud of.

those draw the Referees into making false calls.  The more this game gets skilled, the more embellishing and cheating it’s getting..

i for one am not proud of that win, or that game as a Canadian.  I like many of us here should be speaking up about all falsifying, embellishing, play. It will ruin the game.

the penalty for embellishment should be 4 mins. ... and I think referees should be able to review ALL of their calls in between periods, to be sure that a player isn’t goading a penalty, and trying to make a fool out of the referee. After an inbetween period review,   A four min penalty should be applied to the player who embellishes.

its NOT about evening out a previous penalty called.. it’s about Applying a  seriously deterrent to cheating and making a fool of a referee.  This game is going to degenerate if it continues..  I lost my flavour for World class Soccer/Football because of the same diving / cheating actors .

who cares seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

I readily admit that the coach may have had a lot to do with not taking the shackles off him. His play seemed to err more on defensive prudence than offensive thrust to me. A whole bunch of Russians looked more dangerous offensively. “But he’s so young still!” I’ve heard it said. To that I would respond with “Lafreniere”.

What about Lafreniere?

Pods is only 4 months older.

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Tainted Gold IMO.

Oh give me a break.  Every game, league, tournament, sport has crap reffing sometimes.

The gold is not tainted. 

The Canadian world juniors won the goal.  Good on them and their hard work. They deserved it.  They don't need a bunch of keyboard warriors saying they don't deserve it or it was "tainted".

Jeez.....

:picard:

9 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Oh give me a break.  Every game, league, tournament, sport has crap reffing sometimes.

The gold is not tainted. 

The Canadian world juniors won the goal.  Good on them and their hard work. They deserved it.  They don't need a bunch of keyboard warriors saying they don't deserve it or it was "tainted".

Jeez.....

:picard:

Shoulda just given everyone aluminum buttons with plastic participation ribbons.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

What about Lafreniere?

Pods is only 4 months older.

Oh, just saying because you are a youngin’ at the WJC’s doesn’t mean you cannot be an offensive force. I thought I’d seen folks explaining his lack of offence because of his still relative youth.

Just 4 months older than Lafreniere, eh? Did not know. Thanks!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, stawns said:

Lack of IQ?  Not sure what tournament you were watching.  His iq and ability to see the play develop was one of his biggest strengths and biggest surprises for me.  He made some unreal plays........Petey level plays.

Petey was making plays his teammates couldn't even fathom in the world juniors because his iq was so much higher than theirs and was already at an elite NHL level iq. Comparing him to Podkolzin is a joke. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Agreed.  Podz has playmaking ability and IQ.  He creates turnovers and then knows how to get that puck to players who should be in a scoring position.... but just not score.  No finish with his linemates.  Very effective as a fore checker, a PKer, good ar distributing the puck and retrieving it.  He has all the attributes you would normally want in a center.  

As for the lowered production, Podz is 18, he is one of 2 players that will be eligible for next years WJ's.  Maybe Podz was  assigned to more of a puck possession line.  Getting the puck and getting it into the offensive zone and then forcing a faceoff.  Like Manny during the cup run.  

Speaking of Manny, great defensive forward.  Drafted 7th OA if I recall, career high 15g.  Faceoff king and his career was cut short by a freakish eye injury.  If that kinda player is what Podz's floor is.  If he can be converted to center, which based on his play other than faceoffs, seems to suit.  Then this organization has the personal to teach this guy how to take draws.  

Imagine him as our 3rd line center/winger with Gaudette and Rousell.  That would be a pesty line.  

If Podz clicks with Horvat or Pettersson when he arrives in the NHL, he could be a Selkie candidate type of player in the future.  

Very excited about this pick.  

He was on a puck possession line lol. Those were supposed to be Russia's top players. They were the first line and were given first line minttes man. 

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

He was on a puck possession line lol. Those were supposed to be Russia's top players. They were the first line and were given first line minttes man. 

So...

an 18 year old first liner for the Russian Federation brought in Silver?

an the Canucks own his rights?

Bring it on.

Add Podkolzin and Tryamkin to this team and the Canucks are efffin’naaasty.

Adding Podkolzin only, is a serious influx of nasty.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

So...

an 18 year old first liner for the Russian Federation brought in Silver?

an the Canucks own his rights?

Bring it on.

Add Podkolzin and Tryamkin to this team and the Canucks are effin’nasty.

Yeah but we are analyzing a player and not a team. You put him on team Germany and nobody would care lol. 

He's not adding anything of value to this team at his current level of skill. He'd be a turnover machine. 

But they expected that, they knew when they drafted him he needed a lot of seasoning. That's why he wasn't a top 3 pick. He has raw talent he just doesn't know how to use it yet. People forget Tyler Motte was a fairly highly touted prospect and he had good hands, a good shot and thought the game pretty well. What people forget is how big of a jump defensively the NHL is from the world juniors. The world juniors has horrendous defense. Horrendous. That's why you see all of these amazing players in junior dangle around everybody and then they come to the nhl and their skills don't matter. Podkolzin wasn't even getting around defenders in the world juniors, how do you think he'd do at the highest stage of the game? He'd be a forechecking workhorse and a penalty killer. That'd be his use to us. Temper your expectations of the kid, don't rush him. 

51 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Petey was making plays his teammates couldn't even fathom in the world juniors because his iq was so much higher than theirs and was already at an elite NHL level iq. Comparing him to Podkolzin is a joke. 

I'd say Podz baffled his linemates as much as Petey did in his tournament.  He made some pretty unreal plays to set up his linemates

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

I think it's pretty similar. I remember getting frustrated watching players whiff on some of the plays that Petey would make. This was both in the SHL and World Juniors.

I see the same with Podkolzin. He made some incredible plays that his fellow linemates couldn't finish on. Put him with Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat and/or Miller and that will be a different story. 

Edited by Darkstar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Yeah but we are analyzing a player and not a team. You put him on team Germany and nobody would care lol. 

He's not adding anything of value to this team at his current level of skill. He'd be a turnover machine. 

But they expected that, they knew when they drafted him he needed a lot of seasoning. That's why he wasn't a top 3 pick. He has raw talent he just doesn't know how to use it yet. People forget Tyler Motte was a fairly highly touted prospect and he had good hands, a good shot and thought the game pretty well. What people forget is how big of a jump defensively the NHL is from the world juniors. The world juniors has horrendous defense. Horrendous. That's why you see all of these amazing players in junior dangle around everybody and then they come to the nhl and their skills don't matter. Podkolzin wasn't even getting around defenders in the world juniors, how do you think he'd do at the highest stage of the game? He'd be a forechecking workhorse and a penalty killer. That'd be his use to us. Temper your expectations of the kid, don't rush him. 

Yeah that’s why we drafted a Russian and not a German.

As for the rest of your post:

HE’S 18.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

You must have missed the article where one of the greatest Russian players ever compares Podkolzin to one of the greatest NHL players ever...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You must have missed the article where one of the greatest Russian players ever compares Podkolzin to one of the greatest NHL players ever...

Lol you must be  new around here if you think messier is highly regarded.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, MikeyD said:

So why do you think Larionov is using his youngest player the most out of any other forward throughout the tournament to gain puck possession via a heavy tenacious fore check and forcing turnovers the setting up his linemates constantly and consistently?

Was Vasily not being effective?  

Does a guy like Larionov know less about hockey than you?  

Was the lack of production with all the chances generated on Vasily or others?

Why does anyone think that Vasily's fairly unique (in terms of this organization's depth chart) won't translate into becoming a fairly dominant player when on the ice? 

He is a hybrid Honey Badger/Burrows with more size and what appears to be the IQ to be a possible centerman if he can learn to take faceoffs.  Even of he doesn't translate to center, is there anyway he won't be a very effective NHL forward?  

The only questions that remain are:

When is the soonest he can get here?  IE can he be bought out of his KHL deal?

Will his offence pick up when he is playing with NHL talent?  From my POV he has all the signs of becoming a decent playmaker, but may need some technical coaching. 

The nucks eventually made Hands of Stone Hansen into a respectable goal scorer?

I don't see Podz as being a guy who is know as a goal scoree, but I could see him being a set up machine.  Either way, he is a NHLer with or without offence.  If he can produce to a 2nd line level with his two way game, damn, that is going to be sweet.  Steal.  

If he doesn't have the offence, he will be a very effective bottom six and special teams guy.  Not what you hoped for, but still a guy that will be a fan favourite due to his amazing motor and fearless play.  A decent safe pick that will still play a big role in the club.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I keep thinking of Brady Tkachuk when I see the skepticism in here.

I remember looking at BT's stats and thinking " how the hell is this guy ranked so high".  I mean 8 goals at Boston U in 40 games doesnt exactly scream top tier prospect let alone top 5 pick.

Then I watched him play a couple games.  Excellent from the dots down, and on the walls.  Physical.  Was hard to move from in front of the net.  Distributed the puck effortlessly.  Looked like a guy whose game could translate to the NHL.

I see a lot of that in Podkolzin.  Isnt going to razzle dazzle you like Hoglander but my gut is telling me that Podz game will elevate in the NHL more than Hoglander's game.  Ive seen enough of Hoglander-esque performances at the WJC to keep me reserved for now (not saying the kid wont make it, I just dont put a lot of weight into the highlight reel stuff)

bt.JPG

• Cheers 3

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Where is this article?

Edit: found it . Nevermind lol

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/former-canuck-igor-larionov-describes-vasili-podkolzin-as-a-young-mark-messier-1.24047160

Edited by cuporbust
  • Cheers 1