The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

5 minutes ago, Darius said:

I see a lot of that in Podkolzin.  Isnt going to razzle dazzle you like Hoglander but my gut is telling me that Podz game will elevate in the NHL more than Hoglander's game.  Ive seen enough of Hoglander-esque performances at the WJC to keep me reserved for now (not saying the kid wont make it, I just dont put a lot of weight into the highlight reel stuff)

^ this is a very good point. What Podz is doing might be based on a more solid foundation and style of play, and you can see how it would translate into a top 6 role. He still has to prove it of course but you can see what he's trying to do every shift.

I also don't put much into the highlight reel stuff and this age, how many times have we seen it? Do you have McDavid or Dane Fox? having said that, I really like Hog's willingness to be physical which i think will help him a lot, he won't shrink away from NHL players (I hope). Podz certainly won't. 

• Cheers 1

On 12/21/2019 at 12:12 PM, Locke Lamora said:

I will say something else. Pods wears #11 very well. Plays a lot like Messier... I hated Messier’s stint as a Canuck like everyone else...but I wouldn’t be opposed to Pods wearing it in order to wipe the stain of that legacy away a bit. Not sure how the Wayne Maki thing would affect such an idea though...

Huh....I guess I wasn’t talking COMPLETELY  out of my ass a few weeks back...according to Mr. Larianov at least. ;)

Edited by Locke Lamora
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

So why do you think Larionov is using his youngest player the most out of any other forward throughout the tournament to gain puck possession via a heavy tenacious fore check and forcing turnovers the setting up his linemates constantly and consistently?

Was Vasily not being effective?  

Does a guy like Larionov know less about hockey than you?  

Was the lack of production with all the chances generated on Vasily or others?

Why does anyone think that Vasily's fairly unique (in terms of this organization's depth chart) won't translate into becoming a fairly dominant player when on the ice? 

He is a hybrid Honey Badger/Burrows with more size and what appears to be the IQ to be a possible centerman if he can learn to take faceoffs.  Even of he doesn't translate to center, is there anyway he won't be a very effective NHL forward?  

The only questions that remain are:

When is the soonest he can get here?  IE can he be bought out of his KHL deal?

Will his offence pick up when he is playing with NHL talent?  From my POV he has all the signs of becoming a decent playmaker, but may need some technical coaching. 

The nucks eventually made Hands of Stone Hansen into a respectable goal scorer?

I don't see Podz as being a guy who is know as a goal scoree, but I could see him being a set up machine.  Either way, he is a NHLer with or without offence.  If he can produce to a 2nd line level with his two way game, damn, that is going to be sweet.  Steal.  

If he doesn't have the offence, he will be a very effective bottom six and special teams guy.  Not what you hoped for, but still a guy that will be a fan favourite due to his amazing motor and fearless play.  A decent safe pick that will still play a big role in the club.  

Fans need to forget this, he will NOT be bought out of his contract, Canucks are happy with where he is and how he is developing.

As soon as his season ends next season, he will sign with the Canucks and likely debut in Canucks uniform before the end of the season.

Until then, he will continue in the VHL / KHL, which is better than him developing here in Junior or even the AHL.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Petey was making plays his teammates couldn't even fathom in the world juniors because his iq was so much higher than theirs and was already at an elite NHL level iq. Comparing him to Podkolzin is a joke. 

Not nearly as big a joke as claiming that Pods is lacking in IQ. Where the hell does that nonsense come from?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Not nearly as big a joke as claiming that Pods is lacking in IQ. Where the hell does that nonsense come from?

People look at stats in the most simplistic forms.  Goals assists.  watched 3 shifts.  Conclusion.  he's got no IQ

They neglect to remember that Schroeder chewed up the WJC or that guys like Cam Barker were standouts at junior international play.  

Podz was fine, arguably one of the top defensive forwards in the tournament this year.  We're all frustrated we don't see him playing more.  But it's hard to sound credible when one claims he had a bad tourney or lakes hockey IQ

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

People look at stats in the most simplistic forms.  Goals assists.  watched 3 shifts.  Conclusion.  he's got no IQ

They neglect to remember that Schroeder chewed up the WJC or that guys like Cam Barker were standouts at junior international play.  

Podz was fine, arguably one of the top defensive forwards in the tournament this year.  We're all frustrated we don't see him playing more.  But it's hard to sound credible when one claims he had a bad tourney or lakes hockey IQ

And honestly, he setup sooooo many chances with his hustle I loved the way he played

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

And honestly, he setup sooooo many chances with his hustle I loved the way he played

He whiffed a few passes, he got turned a few times during the tourney but so did every player.  The guy looked good.  No worries at all

6 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Lol you must be  new around here if you think messier is highly regarded.

He's the third leading scorer of all time.........fair to say he's highly regarded.  One fan bases sour grapes doesn't nullify his accomplishments, imo.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Lol you must be  new around here if you think messier is highly regarded.

Why is the regard of envious fools important? Messier was a great player, that he was past that point in his career by the time he got to Vancouver does not invalidate his accomplishments up til then.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why would I care what CDC posters think about Messier?  He’s one of the greatest NHL players ever. And Igor Larionov, who played for Vancouver and is one of the greatest Russian players ever, said he thinks Podkolzin is a young Messier. That’s a great compliment to one of our top young prospects. Im

sure Larionov was referring to the Edmonton Messier and not the Vancouver Messier. 

He also said Goldy would score 20 goals two years ago.  As I stated earlier I think Igor Larionov has been hitting the Marijuanov and is seriously overvaluing his clients players.

I think Podz will be a great player but I don't see him being anything like Messier aside from occasionally wearing #11.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

He also said Goldy would score 20 goals two years ago.  As I stated earlier I think Igor Larionov has been hitting the Marijuanov and is seriously overvaluing his clients players.

I think Podz will be a great player but I don't see him being anything like Messier aside from occasionally wearing #11.

Would vs focused

Quit taking things out of context to fit a narrative.

Larionov knows his s***

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Goldobin has the talent to be a 20 goal scorer at the NHL level.  Perhaps Larionov felt that Goldy could have improved his defensive game which would have allowed the Canucks or another team to give him a chance to play in the NHL.  Having said that he could get a tryout with a new team next year to try and get his career back...

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Actually, when he says"

Larionov "Goldy is focused on making the #Canucks and scoring 20 goals this season."

He was stating what Goldy's goals were.

He did not predict that Goldy would score 20 goals. If you really believe that is what the quote means, perhaps some reading comprehension lessons might be in order.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Fans need to forget this, he will NOT be bought out of his contract, Canucks are happy with where he is and how he is developing.

As soon as his season ends next season, he will sign with the Canucks and likely debut in Canucks uniform before the end of the season.

Until then, he will continue in the VHL / KHL, which is better than him developing here in Junior or even the AHL.

I worry a little bit about him being stuck over there and him losing two years of development playing next to no minutes on big ice. 

I think he’d be better developed as a prospect playing 20+ minutes a night in the CHL against kids his own age this year playing a North American game than he is playing 5 minutes a night in the KHL/VHL. 

7 hours ago, chickenman92 said:

I worry a little bit about him being stuck over there and him losing two years of development playing next to no minutes on big ice. 

I think he’d be better developed as a prospect playing 20+ minutes a night in the CHL against kids his own age this year playing a North American game than he is playing 5 minutes a night in the KHL/VHL. 

He's getting plenty of playing time in the VHL. 

It's just in the KHL games he doesn't get as much but I'm pretty sure he's getting close to 10min a game even in the KHL games now. 

Edited by Ihatetomatoes

23 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

So why do you think Larionov is using his youngest player the most out of any other forward throughout the tournament to gain puck possession via a heavy tenacious fore check and forcing turnovers the setting up his linemates constantly and consistently?

Was Vasily not being effective?  

Does a guy like Larionov know less about hockey than you?  

Was the lack of production with all the chances generated on Vasily or others?

Why does anyone think that Vasily's fairly unique (in terms of this organization's depth chart) won't translate into becoming a fairly dominant player when on the ice? 

He is a hybrid Honey Badger/Burrows with more size and what appears to be the IQ to be a possible centerman if he can learn to take faceoffs.  Even of he doesn't translate to center, is there anyway he won't be a very effective NHL forward?  

The only questions that remain are:

When is the soonest he can get here?  IE can he be bought out of his KHL deal?

Will his offence pick up when he is playing with NHL talent?  From my POV he has all the signs of becoming a decent playmaker, but may need some technical coaching. 

The nucks eventually made Hands of Stone Hansen into a respectable goal scorer?

I don't see Podz as being a guy who is know as a goal scoree, but I could see him being a set up machine.  Either way, he is a NHLer with or without offence.  If he can produce to a 2nd line level with his two way game, damn, that is going to be sweet.  Steal.  

If he doesn't have the offence, he will be a very effective bottom six and special teams guy.  Not what you hoped for, but still a guy that will be a fan favourite due to his amazing motor and fearless play.  A decent safe pick that will still play a big role in the club.  

Lol Russian coaching has always been considered oddball and illogical at times. Did you forget the point where Ray Ferraro was questioning why the line was always out in key situations? Do you know more about hockey than Ray Ferraro? Get out of here with your strawman argument. He had a weak tournament, was in effective and wasn't this ultimately great player that Canucks fans are trying to pretend he was. 

That's all I'm saying. Kid still has loads of potential and is good defensively, but offensively he isn't anywhere close to putting the game together at a pro level yet. 

They compared him to Messier lol. They compared Boeser to Bossy too but nobody is stupid enough to actually believe that nonsense lol.