The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

21 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Not nearly as big a joke as claiming that Pods is lacking in IQ. Where the hell does that nonsense come from?

The lack of ice awareness, the neutral zone suicide passes to his teammates, the turnovers, the forced passes instead of patient play, the ability to put the puck into open areas... Iq plays he wasn't making. He makes the occasional high iq play but for every one of those he's making 4 errant passes, poorly timed puck movement, etc. 

You could see petey's iq miles away if you know the game. If you know the game you should be able to see he's missing some of the pieces. He's not gonna come into the league and light it up. If he had elite iq as you claim he does, he would. Quote me on it. He's got 2 years of developing and in comparison to last year I haven't seen any progression into his game. That doesn't mean he won't get there, he'll just get there slower. Good defensive prospect, mediocre offensive prospect with great raw tools. Great comparable is Kesler and Virtanen. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

The lack of ice awareness, the neutral zone suicide passes to his teammates, the turnovers, the forced passes instead of patient play, the ability to put the puck into open areas... Iq plays he wasn't making. He makes the occasional high iq play but for every one of those he's making 4 errant passes, poorly timed puck movement, etc. 

You could see petey's iq miles away if you know the game. If you know the game you should be able to see he's missing some of the pieces. He's not gonna come into the league and light it up. If he had elite iq as you claim he does, he would. Quote me on it. He's got 2 years of developing and in comparison to last year I haven't seen any progression into his game. That doesn't mean he won't get there, he'll just get there slower. Good defensive prospect, mediocre offensive prospect with great raw tools. Great comparable is Kesler and Virtanen. 

What a load of crap. If you knew the game, you would be aware that every player makes errant passes regularly.

If you were honest, you would not put up straw men as you did here:"If he had elite iq as you claim he does".

And only a simpleton would use a 41 goal Selke winner as an example of a mediocre offensive prospect.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, chickenman92 said:

I worry a little bit about him being stuck over there and him losing two years of development playing next to no minutes on big ice. 

I think he’d be better developed as a prospect playing 20+ minutes a night in the CHL against kids his own age this year playing a North American game than he is playing 5 minutes a night in the KHL/VHL. 

This is a classic case of not knowing what's going on over there and having an opinion based on a few tweets that do not show the full picture.

Don't worry, his development is going just fine so far.

• Like 1

I like the pick but if I am being honest, I am a bit concerned about his offensive production.  Also every time he skates through the neutral zone with his head down skating like the Tasmanian Devil, he is going to get leveled when playing in the NHL on a smaller ice surface.  I think he needs to learn to slow down a little and make the smart play.  I think it will come but we will need to be patient.  I also think he will play a year in Utica as I don't think it would benefit him to be in Vancouver playing on the forth line when he could be in Utica playing high min. developing.                                                                                                                                                                    

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I like the pick but if I am being honest, I am a bit concerned about his offensive production.  Also every time he skates through the neutral zone with his head down skating like the Tasmanian Devil, he is going to get leveled when playing in the NHL on a smaller ice surface.  I think he needs to learn to slow down a little and make the smart play.  I think it will come but we will need to be patient.  I also think he will play a year in Utica as I don't think it would benefit him to be in Vancouver playing on the forth line when he could be in Utica playing high min. developing.                                                                                                                                                                    

Bro. Messier. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

What a load of crap. If you knew the game, you would be aware that every player makes errant passes regularly.

If you were honest, you would not put up straw men as you did here:"If he had elite iq as you claim he does".

And only a simpleton would use a 41 goal Selke winner as an example of a mediocre offensive prospect.

A lot of errant passes are made, absolutely. But not as many as Podkolzin makes at the level he was playing at. He has moments of absolute brilliance with his passing and then can't make a ten foot pass with nobody around him the next. If you didn't see that you weren't watching. And yeah, Kesler's one season is his ultimate defining grace. Do you not remember when he came up from the AHL and was a grinder? That's exactly what I'm talking about. He may have to play that role until he figures the game out. It's a great comparison you just can't figure out why I used it, or you didn't watch the team when he came up. 

Just now, The 5th Line said:

Well it's a short tourney but he still managed to show you "absolute brilliance" so it cant be all that bad eh?

Correct. Not all bad. Lots of upside, he just needs to put some of his offensive timing together and figure out when to slow down and pick it up. His defensive iq is at an NHL level already, his defense is way ahead in comparison to others but he just needs to get timing and some skills honed in and he'll be good. It's a small sample size, but I watched a small sample size (a few games) from before he was drafted and largely there were similarities so hopefully something clicks with his timing and he'll be able to gain some consistency between the games he takes over and the games he's invisible. 

10 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

People can talk about speed/passing/shooting/scoring/IQ/ect all they want, when it comes down to it, from the games I watched, his coaches were constantly using him in important situations.

When the game was on the line, he was out there more often than not.  If I'm an NHL coach or GM, in the end, I don't ask my scouts who is the best passer, or who protects the puck better - I ask, who are the coaches sending out there when it matters most? 

That alone stands over and above any nit-picky passing/skating/points squabbles going on imo. 

^ this.

I think I read that Podz is also the highest ppg U19 player in the VHL, and thats with starting the year bouncing between leagues. 

Plus wasn't he the youngest Russian team member too? 

• Cheers 1

On 1/7/2020 at 2:11 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Fans need to forget this, he will NOT be bought out of his contract, Canucks are happy with where he is and how he is developing.

As soon as his season ends next season, he will sign with the Canucks and likely debut in Canucks uniform before the end of the season.

Until then, he will continue in the VHL / KHL, which is better than him developing here in Junior or even the AHL.

It isn't likely.  That was known when he was drafted. Until the option expires, it isn't off the table.  

I doubt Podz is going to stay in Russia  playing sub par minutes making rubles instead of the NHL.  

So one more season and then he can come over.  I can wait.  

On 1/7/2020 at 3:20 PM, dpn1 said:

Podz kind of resemble an offensively gifted version of Roussel.  B)

Right on! But many fans on this forum overvalue our prospects. 

Vasily is a very raw talent and I am not confident he is getting the seasoning required to direct his development properly. I would have a much higher level of confidence for his future if he is playing in Utica right now. All in all it is a good pick at #10. 

Edited by Maddogy
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Would vs focused

Quit taking things out of context to fit a narrative.

Larionov knows his s***

He said Goldy will score 20 goals on the radio, that tweet was the only source I could find because I am not going over 2 years of 1040 podcasts(Dhaliwal was still on 650 at the time).  And goldy fired him soon after so did other high profile players like Galchenyuk.  He now oversees only 3 players.

https://puckpedia.com/agent/igor-larionov

I don't have a narrative other than comparing Pods with Messier is a load of #$^&.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, theo5789 said:

This is a classic case of not knowing what's going on over there and having an opinion based on a few tweets that do not show the full picture.

Don't worry, his development is going just fine so far.

If by fine, you mean he’ll be in the lineup around the 23-24 season then okay. 

from what I’ve read and saw at the world juniors he’s on the same type of development road as Virtanen, ie missing out on development with his peers and being pushed into a very limited role with men. 

Guessing his development goes something like this:

19-20: bounce around Russian teams with limited opportunity 

20-21: bottom 6 in KHL with limited offensive opportunities 

21-22: spend a year in Utica learning the North American game

22-23: spend a year in Utica regaining the confidence and skill that has been sucked out of him the previous three seasons 

23-24: makes the Canucks lineup...if he stays over here long enough. 

I’m a firm believer that if you want to develop players right, they need to play in the role you intend them to play in the NHL. If you think Podkolzin is a 2nd line winger, he needs to be somewhere, where he’s playing 16-19 minutes a night with power-play time. If he’s not getting that, then his development is being set back. 

• Wat 1