The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

5 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

JB's first draft in some ways was his worst.  He selected at least 5 guys who have already made the NHL.  But he missed excellent and exceptional players who were all available when he made other selections.  

He took the safer path and Larkin, Pasternak and Point were all there.  He had only been on the job for 2 weeks and Kesler was already demanding a trade I think.  

What could have been.  Still Trymakin will be an effective d man as a rookie when he was here.  My POV was that JB muffed it when he signed Hutton to his deal then Trymakin.  IMO Trymakin was a way superior player with way more potential. 

Trymakin also seems to agree.  He was already having problems adjusting to NA and then he felt jilted in his contract offer.  Not saying I agree with Trymakin's reaction and him going back to Russia, but I can see his POV.  

I have felt that JB has made 3 big mistakes in his first 4 years.  Not moving Hammer even with a low ball offer.  It would have helped a tank.  

The second was his signing of L.E. even though I was okay with it then.  

The 3rd was losing Trymakin back to Russia.  I can only say that Green would have been fantastic for Trymakins development.  

I like Tryamkin and also think he could be a very dependable top 4 guy in the NHL if he does come back. I just don’t get how a 6’7” smooth skating for his size while logging KHL time doesn’t get a late round pick in his draft year over guys like Mike Williamson and Miles Liberate. I understand that wasn’t Benning and his crew but for me personally I feel like the odds of hitting on a 7th rounder I’d have taken that gamble then. 

Podz had an amazing WJC. 

He was a workhorse who was played in many of Russia's dire moments like, the Czech game. There the Czechs had a 5-3 for a long time. Podz was the forward sent out to take the faceoff.

Podz played a lot of those defensive minutes but was also good enough to play with 8 and 9. When he was with them, he did not look out of place. 

However, d is where the Russian coach had him. Protecting a lead found him on the ice.

He is going to look great in a Canucks uni

6 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Four things on Podz:

1) Most minutes played for Russia this wjc, especially when those minutes mattered most.

2) Does play and lead like Messier for a very young 18yo (stop thinking points and championships as part of the comparison).

3) Ferraro has had beef with the Canucks organization for years, iirc? 

4) He's not a goal scorer but rather a workhorse puck retriever with a motor that doesn't quite.

Ok, one more thing: Benning has been drafting role players to build a championship team, and Podz will fill a much-needed elite workhorse role for us. What's not to love about this kid? 

Quite.

I think Podkolzin is more the style of player that most of us thought Virtanen was going up to that draft: a 'meat and potatoes,' two-way player with good defensive awareness/capabilities... happy to battle for the puck, resembling a grinder with more skill.

Even if he doesn't reach his top-6 potential, he's likely going to be a type of player you would /want/ on your 3rd line wing; if his development leads to him being a bottom-6 guy at the end of it, rather than being a tolerable bottom-6er, he's probably going to turn out to be a very good one. And that's not a bad thing but is actually desirable.

Edited by 112
  • Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Ray Ferraro over Larionov?

All day err' day.

"I know Larionov compared him to Messier but I aint going there." - Ferraro who then goes on to praise Pods game without the ridiculous comparison to a HoF that's been out of the league for 20 years.  

• Upvote 1

I'm not a fan of the Messier comparisons, but who knows how Pod will play once he gets here, and after a few years in the NHL? I thought he looked okay at the WJC, but I wasn't blown away, or even very impressed. He looked okay. As for Benning saying he can step in right away, I have my doubts. He can say that though, because they can't bring him in now. It's like saying "Oh, Linus Karlsson can play now, but he's got a contract in Sweden" lol

Maybe Pod turns out similar to a Pearson type player. Keeping expectations reasonable. 

• Upvote 1

I think the Messier comment is meant as a compliment. 

It is hard to remember, because he never showed it here, in his prime Messier was a nasty piece of work.  He was a strong guy that punished players both when hitting but also when getting hit.  Players would bounce off of him and had a bit of the reverse hit that Forsberg perfected.

It is a compliment style wise, nasty, dog on a bone kind of player.  

Certainly can't expect the same kind of scoring.  It is a different era now anyway.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

All day err' day.

"I know Larionov compared him to Messier but I aint going there." - Ferraro who then goes on to praise Pods game without the ridiculous comparison to a HoF that's been out of the league for 20 years.  

And what exactly is ridiculous about the comparison? Keeping in mind that Larionov wasn't known as "The Professor" because he is stupid or ignorant, and as  one of Podz coaches, he obviously knows far more about how Podz plays than Ferraro and all you armchair coaches/GMs combined.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 112 said:

Quite.

I think Podkolzin is more the style of player that most of us thought Virtanen was going up to that draft: a 'meat and potatoes,' two-way player with good defensive awareness/capabilities... happy to battle for the puck, resembling a grinder with more skill.

Even if he doesn't reach his top-6 potential, he's likely going to be a type of player you would /want/ on your 3rd line wing; if his development leads to him being a bottom-6 guy at the end of it, rather than being a tolerable bottom-6er, he's probably going to turn out to be a very good one. And that's not a bad thing but is actually desirable.

Not to mention that we won't be able to afford a team full of Petey's, Brock's, and Hughes'. We need guys like Podz to compliment our core. The other thing with him is that he is so obviously creating chances with his line mates, but they don't seem to finish as much as guys like Petey and Brock will once he makes the team. He's a perfect missing piece. 

8 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

JB's first draft in some ways was his worst.  He selected at least 5 guys who have already made the NHL.  But he missed excellent and exceptional players who were all available when he made other selections.  

He took the safer path and Larkin, Pasternak and Point were all there.  He had only been on the job for 2 weeks and Kesler was already demanding a trade I think.  

What could have been.  Still Trymakin will be an effective d man as a rookie when he was here.  My POV was that JB muffed it when he signed Hutton to his deal then Trymakin.  IMO Trymakin was a way superior player with way more potential. 

Trymakin also seems to agree.  He was already having problems adjusting to NA and then he felt jilted in his contract offer.  Not saying I agree with Trymakin's reaction and him going back to Russia, but I can see his POV.  

I have felt that JB has made 3 big mistakes in his first 4 years.  Not moving Hammer even with a low ball offer.  It would have helped a tank.  

The second was his signing of L.E. even though I was okay with it then.  

The 3rd was losing Trymakin back to Russia.  I can only say that Green would have been fantastic for Trymakins development.  

Benning joined the team in the summer of his 1st season, so unlikely has set a foundation for his scouting. Still nabs 5 players that have played in the NHL. Didn't take too long for Benning to shift to a new head of amateur scouting. Benning got the job done in his 1st year and made further improvements following that. Hindsight reveals better players, but several other teams had passed on them as well.

As for the 3 errors, you never give in to a low ball offer. You don't want to set that precedent for yourself. The following year we got at that time what we thought were very respectable deals for Hansen and Burrows on an expansion year. It's not Benning's fault that the team that wanted to make the deal decided to take their original offer off the table.

The LE signing is what it is. He was coming off a decent year, we were hoping to give the Sedins another opportunity to win. We all know how it has played out. It certainly looks like Benning's biggest blunder, but he wasn't even the worst signing that off season either.

I don't think we wanted to lose Tryamkin. Benning seemed to actually be caught off guard that he left. Benning had an offer on the table, but there seemed to be more than just a hockey decision involved. We may get back a very valuable asset during a time when our team is surging back to playoff territory. Perhaps not having Tryamkin here helped us tanked long enough to rebuild through the draft. Hoping he returns and is impactful.

• Cheers 1

Perhaps not having Tryamkin here helped us tanked long enough to rebuild through the draft. Hoping he returns and is impactful.

P l e a s e  lets not start the what if, it's bordering on Charlie Brown school of philosophy. If pigs did actually fly we'd all need bigger hats, stick to the facts … IMHO

12 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

P l e a s e  lets not start the what if, it's bordering on Charlie Brown school of philosophy. If pigs did actually fly we'd all need bigger hats, stick to the facts … IMHO

Okay we have missed the playoffs the last couple of years without Tryamkin. Partly due to the reason of being injured, especially on defense. More depth could've mitigated this (or is that also too what iffy to suggest?). Without this depth, we ended up where we did and drafted who we did.

• Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Fred; I'm not sure that sticking to the facts would even work on a discussion board. 90% of what is posted on here is either opinion or conjecture. That is what makes the board so interesting. I am only speaking for myself but I find the diversity of opinions and conjecture of what ifs; enlightening and I enjoy reading them even if I  may have a different take on what they are saying.

21 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Fred; I'm not sure that sticking to the facts would even work on a discussion board. 90% of what is posted on here is either opinion or conjecture. That is what makes the board so interesting. I am only speaking for myself but I find the diversity of opinions and conjecture of what ifs; enlightening and I enjoy reading them even if I  may have a different take on what they are saying.

For me it's makes the forum as a bit of waste of time. Posters looking to put college kids into a roster in the best league in the world. I know you're going to respond with, heck don't come to the forum if that's how you feel and for a couple of years I didn't but there are some that can be shall we say more inclined to reality and I enjoy their posts. The constant speculation about prospect for the farm team or how many years before he hits the NHL is based on nothing but wild dreams doesn't strike a chord for me, but that's just me. I was a business man that had little latitude for wild speculation  … usually lead to major losses :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing you have already narrowed the number of posters that you read on a regular basis as have I; although I still enjoy the opinions outside that group as well. It is not our business to run ( that is a good thing lol) and not our dollar so we are free to put forward ideas and conjecture without the negative downside a mistake like in a business that we run or manage. It is nice to have that sometimes in our lives as a diversion to the real world.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

You know that adolescent troll you are responding to is not a Canucks fan. He is here strictly to troll.

Yep that's me. Just here to troll since 2007 on these forums, bud. Been right about most of the stuff I post but dare I put realistic outlooks on a kid by saying his iq is average and that he has plenty of time to figure it out but he's not the exceptional player everybody is glorifying him to be. 

I said Pettersson was elite in the world juniors because you could see how high his iq was. Probably was trolling then. I'm saying Hoglander is real close to ready and just needs fine details of slowing the play down to be a big contributor and has high iq for his age. I'm trolling there, likely. 

Just here to troll, bud. Trolling by having rational expectations on a kid that everybody on cbc claims is gonna be the next Messier. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I'm guessing you have already narrowed the number of posters that you read on a regular basis as have I; although I still enjoy the opinions outside that group as well. It is not our business to run ( that is a good thing lol) and not our dollar so we are free to put forward ideas and conjecture without the negative downside a mistake like in a business that we run or manage. It is nice to have that sometimes in our lives as a diversion to the real world.

Indeed. This is exactly why i post here. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Trolling by having rational expectations on a kid that everybody on cbc claims is gonna be the next Messier. 

First, let's tone down the 'everybody' hyperbole.

Second, I'm pretty sure the Messier comparison by most was stylistic, not ultimate, or likely ceiling. I doubt many are forecasting him to be like a top 10 player in the history of the league any more than the Gretzky comparisons to Pettersson = him breaking all Gretzky's records.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, aGENT said:

First, let's tone down the 'everybody' hyperbole.

Second, I'm pretty sure the Messier comparison by most was stylistic, not ultimate, or likely ceiling. I doubt many are forecasting him to be like a top 10 player in the history of the league any more than the Gretzky comparisons to Pettersson = him breaking all Gretzky's records.

no kidding. Even Gretzky said he saw parts of his game in EPs style :lol: 

Larionov was making a stylistic comparison that he maybe thought a north american market would understand. I'm sure there's a more accurate KHL player comp that we've all never heard of. 

• Upvote 4