The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

9 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I dont see how this is perfect at all. It's a terrible time to add a player. Could mess with chemistry just before playoffs. Who knows if anyone on the team has even met podkolzin. I doubt he would even be inserted in the lineup having to learn a completely new system to him from a new coach on a new team on the verge of a dero playoff run. Then there's the language barrier on top of that. I know many people downplay his development path but I see it as a huge negative.

Either he sits in the wings and soaks up NHL playoffs or he's a depth option in case of injuries. Or perhaps he's actually good enough and can step in. Makar walked right into Colorado's playoffs without any regular season games and no one was worried about him learning new systems or whatever and he got 6 points in 10 playoff games and defense is a much harder position to shelter. Language barrier may be there, but he sounded like he'd already committed to learning English as soon as he got drafted.

He's getting more and more time in the KHL. Surely next season will be even more experience in arguably the next best league after the KHL. 

I should add that Quinn Hughes certainly has met Podkolzin as he was at the draft and there were videos of them meeting.

Edited by theo5789

Are we still wringing our hands about him in Russian? It's been mentioned a billion times, but a lot players we draft are developed in another league we had no control over. Petey was developed by SHL, Boeser and Hughes by NCAA, Bo by the CHL. He'll be okay in Russia for two years. Hell we had college players that played in college longer than he is expected to be in Russia, nobody talks about not drafting college kids. At worst give him a call and tell him things we'd like him to work on in the offseason. And we don't need to bring him in next season. It'd be nice, but it's not a necessity. Let the kid brew. Our core is super young still. No need to rush him in.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I dont see how this is perfect at all. It's a terrible time to add a player. Could mess with chemistry just before playoffs. Who knows if anyone on the team has even met podkolzin. I doubt he would even be inserted in the lineup having to learn a completely new system to him from a new coach on a new team on the verge of a dero playoff run. Then there's the language barrier on top of that. I know many people downplay his development path but I see it as a huge negative.

You seem to be assuming that the team will have no injuries. In the spring, after most of a regular season of play. And that therefore to insert Pods into the lineup, a regular must be sat out. That really doesn't seem like a very realistic assumption.

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

You seem to be assuming that the team will have no injuries. In the spring, after most of a regular season of play. And that therefore to insert Pods into the lineup, a regular must be sat out. That really doesn't seem like a very realistic assumption.

You're assuming someone is injured at that time and that pod will walk on better than our 13th forward. 

Doesn't seem like a realistic assumption.

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

You're assuming someone is injured at that time and that pod will walk on better than our 13th forward. 

JB recently said Pods is ready now to play on our team.  JB seems to think Pods is ready. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

JB recently said Pods is ready now to play on our team.  JB seems to think Pods is ready. 

Lol how so. What ass did you pull that assumption from. Dont waste my time with your ridiculous claims please he's not even getting regular 4th line mins in the khl.

• Wat 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

“So was Canucks brass, with GM Jim Benning telling Postmedia’s Ed Willes that Podkolzin “could play right now.”

“We’ll sign him (after next season) and he’ll step in and play right away,” Benning said.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-prospects-tracker-wjc-edition-podkolzin-settles-for-silver-hoglander-helps-win-bronze

When you're right your right. My apologies.

However I'm still not buying it seeing that he's never logged more than 12 mins in the khl nor has he registered a single point. 

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

A lot more realistic than assuming that nobody in their top 12 forwards will be injured at the end of next season. And I am going to have to go along with JB's stated belief that Pods is already good enough to play in the NHL over your assumption that not only is he not ready, he will still not be ready one and a half seasons from now.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

When you're right your right. My apologies.

However I'm still not buying it seeing that he's never logged more than 12 mins in the khl nor has he registered a single point. 

So an opinion based merely on the statsheets of 16 games this year is more valid than Benning and his staff and scouts who've actually watched and analyzed him and his games over at least the previous year before drafting him?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Gaudette Celly said:

So an opinion based merely on the statsheets of 16 games this year is more valid than Benning and his staff and scouts who've actually watched and analyzed him and his games over at least the previous year before drafting him?

My opinion matters a bit to me yeah. As I'm sure yours does to you.

Corey Pronman over at The Athletic did his mid-season rankings of NHL prospects.  Podz came in a 16th, behind players drafted in front of him such as Soderstrom, Kaliyev and Caufield.  He didn't say anything negative, aside that he needs more offensive consistency.  

Pronman has mixed record on Canuck prospects.  He wasn't too high on Petey, but drooled over Hughes (ranking him ahead of Makar), so who knows?

7 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

My opinion matters a bit to me yeah. As I'm sure yours does to you.

When my opinion conflicts dramatically with that of someone who any reasonable person would expect to be much more knowledgeable on the topic than I am, most times I will re-examine and reconsider my opinion. But then that's just me.

• Upvote 2