The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Shades of Bobby Orrslov

Funny.

The first great Russian coach, Anatoly Tarasov was asked what he did to improve the Russian team so much... in his book he said something to the effect that he got all of the film he could find of Bobby Orr, broke down his skating, and trained the Russian players of his day to skate like Orr. From the results of the '72 series, he may have had some success.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Funny.

The first great Russian coach, Anatoly Tarasov was asked what he did to improve the Russian team so much... in his book he said something to the effect that he got all of the film he could find of Bobby Orr, broke down his skating, and trained the Russian players of his day to skate like Orr. From the results of the '72 series, he may have had some success.

Wow! That's very impressive. Bobby did have a impact on the game for sure. Thanks for the anecdote

13 hours ago, Silent Man said:

You've brought back such a great memories. Sure, this is off-topic, but I just can't resist.

In September 1972 I was 9.5 years old living is USSR and I watched each and every second of those games. Even my mom and dad who were not hockey or sports fans in general, and never watched sports before and after, watched all games . Streets were empty. 

Tarasov, who came up with this Summit idea and got approval from the very top (Politburo) was by that time fired as a head coach of USSR national team (rumors were he refused a play a tie game with cheho-slovac team during Olympic  games in Sapporo, Japan in 1972. Tie game would allow cheho- slovac team get the second place, which would be a great deal for propaganda, but USSR won 5-2 and second place was taken by USA team)

Any way, just my 2 cents...

I was in Moscow for the 1974 WHA series. What will always stick with me was 4000 drunk Canadians sitting in the arena looking across to a solid Russian crowd dressed in black. The Russian crowds were very quiet for the first 2 games but let loose for the final 2 games. 

• Cheers 2

Love it when wingers can play their off wing. I played LW as a RH shot and I found it easier to protect the puck on the backhand and when given a chance to cut inside, there was more net to hit when shooting. If we didn't need wingers on the right side like we do, I'd love to see a line with Pods on the right side and Virt on the left side at one point.

1 minute ago, Battlemonger said:

Love it when wingers can play their off wing. I played LW as a RH shot and I found it easier to protect the puck on the backhand and when given a chance to cut inside, there was more net to hit when shooting. If we didn't need wingers on the right side like we do, I'd love to see a line with Pods on the right side and Virt on the left side at one point.

I liked it for shooting. But I feel like I protected the puck better as a RW.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I hunky we forget just Howe young Pods is too.  He’s not 19 until late June.  He’s still just a boy.  Heavy already really good, but he’s going to become amazing when he comes here in a couple more years.  

• Cheers 2

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I hunky we forget just Howe young Pods is too.  He’s not 19 until late June.  He’s still just a boy.  Heavy already really good, but he’s going to become amazing when he comes here in a couple more years.  

yup he's just a pup. And now looks to actually be earning regular decent ice time on a KHL team which is a hard place for a kid to earn those. 

• Like 2