The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

12 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Really sounded like Zegras was expecting, even hoping to be picked by the Canucks, and they may well have taken him if Anaheim didn't.

If I had to guess management wanted Zegras or Podkolzin. In that order. They probably backed out of a deal to move up when they caught wind Edmonton and Detroit were coveting D-men. It meant that one of if not both of them would be available at their pick. Maybe I am giving them too much credit but it makes sense when you think about it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

All the scouting reports I read said exactly this too. Which is why I didn't care about him not being in the AHL or CHL. Kid is pretty ready. Let him mature and finish becoming a man at home. Which is perfectly reasonable.

Absolutely.  2 years in the KHL against men will do great things for his development.

I didnt even have this kid on my radar just due to the fact this isn't a typical Canucks pick.  We ALWAYS pass over these ultra skilled Russians.  Glad that seems to be changing under Jimbos watch.

4 hours ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

IMHO....just guaranteed Tryamkin's return at the end of next season!!! RW and a returning defenseman....two birds with one stone! :emot-parrot:

And Panarin will drop his ask by 1 million per just to play with his buddies in "Little Moscow on the Fraser"

8 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Brian Burke said this kid is NHL ready NOW.  If Burkie says it I dont take those words lightly.  Burke was gushing over this kid.

I couldn't help but notice his excitement as well. He was absolutely stoked we got PV. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Master Higgins said:

Podkolzin was my second choice after boldy for what was available, super happy to have one of the highly skilled and hard nosed forwards in the system. Looking forward to seeing him playing hard night in and night out for the canucks, making teams that passed on him look foolish come playoff time. 

I like Boldy's overall game a lot, and I think he will fit in well in Minnesota, but Podz has a pretty comparable skillset with way more tenacity and grit.

We chose the sandpaper and I am totally fine with that.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Crazy thing is that he is only 17. Younger than most. He has the potential to surpass some players drafted above him. Seems like a Big, strong power forward with speed. Big time Competitor too. This could be the steal of the draft!:towel:

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gobi said:

Any concerns about SKA may throw him a bunch of money to try to keep him in the KHL?

The greatest Russian players, and their young guys’ biggest heroes play (or played) here.  Pod is a hyper compete guy, who wants to follow in the footsteps of his Russian heroes.  He’s playing here.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

The boy will need to learn English ASAP!

But this ain't no Nichuskin. He will play. His ceiling is yet to be determined, and that's the fun part.

Let's see Dorofeyev tomorrow. We've been desperately lacking in the Russian department for years.

• Upvote 1