The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

10 hours ago, Fred65 said:

This is a way to sign Toffoli as a FA , he replaces Boeser ( ie no cost to the club ) and then using the opportunity to garner maybe a first class D or a couple of picks for spots we may be weak in. This is not rocket science. Maybe the Wild would give up Dumba or like

So trade Boeser? I don't mind that if we get a decent return 

7 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

So trade Boeser? I don't mind that if we get a decent return 

Tofu ain’t getting resigned, so I seriously doubt Bess is traded.  Podkolzin will be our Pearson replacement.  And he’s better. 

• Wat 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Tofu ain’t getting resigned, so I seriously doubt Bess is traded.  Podkolzin will be our Pearson replacement.  And he’s better. 

Why isn’t Toffoli resigning Alf?   
He is having a lot of success here.  I could see him wanting to stay.    
With a couple easy moves, we have the cap space. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Why isn’t Toffoli resigning Alf?   
He is having a lot of success here.  I could see him wanting to stay.    
With a couple easy moves, we have the cap space. 

I agree Tofu wants to stay.  He said so himself, when he was quoted, “I’m trying to earn the contract I feel I deserve.”  His wife was on the phones at that special night last week too.  How do we have cap space?  Don’t we want to resign Marky and Tanev? 

Id love to keep Tofu, but believe Marky and Tanev are more of the priority, no? 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I agree Tofu wants to stay.  He said so himself, when he was quoted, “I’m trying to earn the contract I feel I deserve.”  His wife was on the phones at that special night last week too.  How do we have cap space?  Don’t we want to resign Marky and Tanev? 

Cap increase. Sell Sutter for cheap. 
Baer is prob going to retire.   
After his bonus is paid out, maybe Loui will too.  
Package Demko with a cap anchor to clear space.   
Lots of time and options. 
The cap problem isn’t a real problem.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Unlike most here JB can come simple math. Don't concern yourself with it if you can't see how.

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

I wonder how much the virus will impact the CAP? Revenue will be down.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think Tiffoli is more important than Tanev.

Tanev is a warrior but he's on the wrong side of 30, is frequently injured, and doesn't provide much offense anymore. He'd still be expensive and we need the roster spot for Rafferty, Tryamkin, Rathbone, etc.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Which to me means he wants to get top dollar. 

9 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Baer has another year at 3.3m with 2.4m being his salary. Why would he retire and walk away from that as opposed to playing out the season? Especially if he may not have an NHL future. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Caps not going up.

Baer won’t retire.

Did you see how much the bruins had to give up in order to get rid of Backes? Expect the same type of trade with Sutter.

We have lots of time not a lot of options.

The cap problem is very real if we want to resign all our players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Great 8 said:

Caps not going up.

Baer won’t retire.

Did you see how much the bruins had to give up in order to get rid of Backes? Expect the same type of trade with Sutter.

And dumping Loui, and Sutter (Baer too) will cost a top prospect (or a first, which we don’t have to give).  Teams will insist on Podkolzin, Hoglander, or Rathbone as the sweetener.  JB can’t afford to give those guys up.  That means we are stuck with those old guys, and their contracts.  That means we have no way to sign Marky, Tanev, and Tofu.  It sucks, but it’s what will likely happen.  I’m still hopeful, because of this whole Covid 19 thing, we get a couple compliance buyouts, and we use them on Loui and Myers.  That’s 12 million off the cap.  

7 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

Haha...

...Sutter is not remotely the boat ancher that backes is.....that is ridiculous.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

28 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

Caps not going up.

Baer won’t retire.

The difference is that Sutter just turned 31 as opposed to Backes who turns 36 in May. Sutter also plays as a defensive center. If the Canucks were to retain 1-2m on Sutter's contract they'd still free up 2.3-3.3m. Sutter at 2.3m-3.3m could have value to a team in need of defensive players, particularly at 2.3m. Sutter at 2.3-3.3m on an expiring contract isn't a huge anchor.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

Caps not going up.

Baer won’t retire.

Sutter still has value.  Backed can’t play anymore.  Not close to the same 
I could see Sven playing his last year, but he will be in the AHL for sure.  We will see how he liked it this year. 
I also do see Tanev as a MUST have player.  We have a couple young guys ready to take the next step.   They may not be an upgrade, but it’s a big chunk of cap space.