Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Of course, forgot those two.  Maybe even Stecher (if he would take 2.5 million) would be a good way to save cap room? 

For me the price on Stecher isn’t as important as knowing whether he can be a bottom pairing d-man on a serious Cup contender.

I love his desire and the improvements to his game but is it enough? Today I would say No. I think the org depth passes him by. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Super 7

Hogwilder LW

Putzgoalzin RW

Lind RW

Brogan rastafari RD

Olli Yolandi LD

Rath of bone LD

Woo RD

 

Honorable mention get Focht.

 

There's really good competition for the D positions especially if you add Tryamkin to that mix. 

 

I predict Tanev will be re signed 3 years 5m. This will be Edlers last contract sad but age is catching up to the eagle. In 2 years time we could have a lineup of.

 

Miller Pete Toffoli

Pearson Bo Boeser

Hoglander Gaud Virtanen/Podkolzin

Roussel Beagle Podkolzin/Virtanen

 

 

Hughes Tanev

Juolevi Meyers

Rathbone Tryamkin 

Brogan Woo

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember how it was a big issue for Podkolzin that he was locked into the KHL for 2 years after the draft.  Looking at the top half of the first round now, I assume that at least half of the prospects will not be in the NHL next year either.  I'm not sure that anyone is more NHL ready at this point though.  I feel Pod will step in and make a big impact in our top 6 right away when he comes over.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

With our right side being stacked ( assuming we can re-sign Tofu ), I'm wondering if Pods can play the left side.

This is where a  gm makes his keep...……..

 

So with in 18 months or 1 more season, we will have this on the right side...…...

 

Toffoli

Boeser

Virtanen

Podkolzin…………...ready in 2 years

MacEwen…………...ready next year

Lind...……………….ready in 2 years

 

So the question what is each players actual ceiling

 

IMO, this is where Benning deals from. This is the strongest position organizationally, and is Benning's strongest position of value.

 

I do not think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out who is moved, if Toffoli can be signed.

 

If Benning thinks all players will turn out as projected, it makes for a very interesting summer...…...

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

This is where a  gm makes his keep...……..

 

So with in 18 months or 1 more season, we will have this on the right side...…...

 

Toffoli

Boeser

Virtanen

Podkolzin…………...ready in 2 years

MacEwen…………...ready next year

Lind...……………….ready in 2 years

 

So the question what is each players actual ceiling

 

IMO, this is where Benning deals from. This is the strongest position organizationally, and is Benning's strongest position of value.

 

I do not think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out who is moved, if Toffoli can be signed.

 

If Benning thinks all players will turn out as projected, it makes for a very interesting summer...…...

Why sign toffoli at all at that point?

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

This is where a  gm makes his keep...……..

 

So with in 18 months or 1 more season, we will have this on the right side...…...

 

Toffoli

Boeser

Virtanen

Podkolzin…………...ready in 2 years

MacEwen…………...ready next year

Lind...……………….ready in 2 years

 

So the question what is each players actual ceiling

 

IMO, this is where Benning deals from. This is the strongest position organizationally, and is Benning's strongest position of value.

 

I do not think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out who is moved, if Toffoli can be signed.

 

If Benning thinks all players will turn out as projected, it makes for a very interesting summer...…...

You are proposing signing Toffoli, trading Boeser?

 

Just for arguments sake, Toffoli's career year in 2015 is the only one on par with  ay of Boeser's three years production wise?

 

i realize there are intangibles of game style advantages to Tofu.  It is my belief that Green is working on these with Brock, just as Sutter drilled into TT.

 

12 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Why sign toffoli at all at that point?

Presuming the proposal is designed to accomplish asset management?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Why sign toffoli at all at that point?

OK, fair enough question...…………...

 

IMO, using the eye test only...…...Toffoli looks to be a more aggressive type of Offensive winger...….

His attitude, is somewhat like Millers in that regard, and maybe that is what is drawing me to him, I don't know.

But, IMO, you do not let a high calibre player walk for free, especially when you have paid such a price (Madden, 2nd, etc)

I also do not think Benning would use that much asset, just to give the team 4 to 7 games of playoff experience,

especially when it was not a certainty...…..

IMO, Toffoli looks like a player that can play into his 30's, so I would say 33 to be safe......

That is 5 years, and that is enough time to develop another RW, "IF" needed, as in "IF" one of our other 6 does not fill that role for him.

 

To me, it is about options and filling voids.

I have absolutely no argument, if Benning feels he does not have that

But I feel he thinks he does

And it appears that he does

and again, we would have 5 years to find a replacement, of a position which is easiest to fill....

 

Meaning #1 and 2 Centers and #1 and 2 Dmen would be the hardest, and then Goalie, then wings

So, yes Toffoli is a luxury, but as I implied and I know you know what I mean...……...

Boeser then become expendable, to fill in a different hole...……….and I do not take Boeser lightly

He is a fantastic find and a quality forward

 

But the question in my mind is the player moved (Boeser) bring us something we could really use? Aka a #2 RHD.

I am not sold on Dumba, but does that kind of play exist here, somewhere in our system? I say no.

 

Where as Toffoli and Podkolzin, and to a lesser degree Virtanen, gives us that, in different ways

 

At worst, it is a saw off, meaning trading skill for skill, for positional need

At best, it allows us a much stronger top 6 forward or top 4 dmen.

 

But as Joe says, in Benning we trust. I am just voicing an alternative

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

You are proposing signing Toffoli, trading Boeser?

 

Just for arguments sake, Toffoli's career year in 2015 is the only one on par with  ay of Boeser's three years production wise?

 

i realize there are intangibles of game style advantages to Tofu.  It is my belief that Green is working on these with Brock, just as Sutter drilled into TT.

 

Presuming the proposal is designed to accomplish asset management?

Hi Surfer

 

I think I answered this in my answer to 73 percent

 

To me, it is not that Boeser has been anything but amazing..he has!

 

But it is about balance and it is about what is in the pipe line, and how close they are

 

I just voiced an alternative opinion, for discussion purposes...………...because

 

I am friggin bored!

 

Peace!

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

This is where a  gm makes his keep...……..

 

So with in 18 months or 1 more season, we will have this on the right side...…...

 

Toffoli

Boeser

Virtanen

Podkolzin…………...ready in 2 years

MacEwen…………...ready next year

Lind...……………….ready in 2 years

 

So the question what is each players actual ceiling

 

IMO, this is where Benning deals from. This is the strongest position organizationally, and is Benning's strongest position of value.

 

I do not think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out who is moved, if Toffoli can be signed.

 

If Benning thinks all players will turn out as projected, it makes for a very interesting summer...…...

Petey-Boeser

Virtanen-Horvat-Toffoli

Gaudette-Podz

Beagle-MacEwen

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

OK, fair enough question...…………...

 

IMO, using the eye test only...…...Toffoli looks to be a more aggressive type of Offensive winger...….

His attitude, is somewhat like Millers in that regard, and maybe that is what is drawing me to him, I don't know.

But, IMO, you do not let a high calibre player walk for free, especially when you have paid such a price (Madden, 2nd, etc)

I also do not think Benning would use that much asset, just to give the team 4 to 7 games of playoff experience,

especially when it was not a certainty...…..

IMO, Toffoli looks like a player that can play into his 30's, so I would say 33 to be safe......

That is 5 years, and that is enough time to develop another RW, "IF" needed, as in "IF" one of our other 6 does not fill that role for him.

 

To me, it is about options and filling voids.

I have absolutely no argument, if Benning feels he does not have that

But I feel he thinks he does

And it appears that he does

and again, we would have 5 years to find a replacement, of a position which is easiest to fill....

 

Meaning #1 and 2 Centers and #1 and 2 Dmen would be the hardest, and then Goalie, then wings

So, yes Toffoli is a luxury, but as I implied and I know you know what I mean...……...

Boeser then become expendable, to fill in a different hole...……….and I do not take Boeser lightly

He is a fantastic find and a quality forward

 

But the question in my mind is the player moved (Boeser) bring us something we could really use? Aka a #2 RHD.

I am not sold on Dumba, but does that kind of play exist here, somewhere in our system? I say no.

 

Where as Toffoli and Podkolzin, and to a lesser degree Virtanen, gives us that, in different ways

 

At worst, it is a saw off, meaning trading skill for skill, for positional need

At best, it allows us a much stronger top 6 forward or top 4 dmen.

 

But as Joe says, in Benning we trust. I am just voicing an alternative

Hey man I like this argument. And i must say you raise valid points. I'm super excited to discuss this. Theres my thinking. Toffoli has been really great for us. 100%. Jim benning hit a home run acquiring him for what he did when he did. However once your season ends I view him as a UFA. You know he want s to go back to LA. So to me I'd rather just sign a UfA RD or a UFA LW than sign toffoli and trade boeser for one. 

 

Cut the middle man out if you will.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

This is where a  gm makes his keep...……..

 

So with in 18 months or 1 more season, we will have this on the right side...…...

 

Toffoli

Boeser

Virtanen

Podkolzin…………...ready in 2 years

MacEwen…………...ready next year

Lind...……………….ready in 2 years

 

So the question what is each players actual ceiling

 

IMO, this is where Benning deals from. This is the strongest position organizationally, and is Benning's strongest position of value.

 

I do not think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out who is moved, if Toffoli can be signed.

 

If Benning thinks all players will turn out as projected, it makes for a very interesting summer...…...

In order, I have my right side as:

1. Tyler Toffoli- in a short audition, he showed amazing chemistry with Miller and Petey. I want to see him through the course of an entire season.

2. Bock Boeser- had early success with Bo Horvat. I see no reason why that can't be rekindled.

3. Jake Virtanen- had a career season until it's premature end. Has turned into a great 3rd line winger who can move up when needed.

4. Zack Macewen- showed he belonged. His abrasive, combative style is desperately needed in this lineup.

5. Vasily Podkolzin- another abrasive, edgy player with a higher skill level then Macewen. Don't know how combative he is but, have a feeling we're going to find out.

6. Kole Lind- has worked hard in the A, and is starting to provide great stat lines. It's been said he needs another season of development before he's ready but, it does sound like he's going to be in.

With all these names in the fold, the only way they can all get in is if, at least, one of them crosses over to the left side.

I looked up Tyler Toffoli's production on IcyData. Most of his production is in front of the net but, more importantly, 13% of his offence came from the left side vs 8% coming from the right. Statistically, he's more effective from the left leading to the idea that he might be a natural to move to LW, opening the extra spot needed for Pods.

The lineup could then balance out to something like:

 

Miller               Petey               Boeser

Toffoli              Horvat              Virtanen

Pearson          Gaudette         Podkolzin

Roussel          Beagle             Macewen

Lind

My hope is to see Lind get a couple call ups next season so we can see his game and potential for the team.

If his showings are strong, I wouldn't be opposed  to see Eriksson play in the A for the last season of his contract to open up the spot for Lind.

Of course this is easier said then done and this will not be, at all, how it shakes out but it does look interesting and balanced.

For all we know, Lukas Jasek could come out of nowhere and be the perfect match for Miller and Petey, and make us all look foolish.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Hey man I like this argument. And i must say you raise valid points. I'm super excited to discuss this. Theres my thinking. Toffoli has been really great for us. 100%. Jim benning hit a home run acquiring him for what he did when he did. However once your season ends I view him as a UFA. You know he want s to go back to LA. So to me I'd rather just sign a UfA RD or a UFA LW than sign toffoli and trade boeser for one. 

 

Cut the middle man out if you will.

I have not heard he wants to back to LA.....that is news, where did you hear about that?

 

OK, let's just for $&!#s and giggles, say that Toffoli wants to stay...……….6 Million 5 year, that is basically Boeser money

 

So, if we were looking to move Boeser, what does he bring us back?

 

IMO...….a very young high end Dman, that will grow with the core...……….

 

Adam Fox, Victor Soderstrom, Cal Foote, Noah Dobson, Mathew Robertson, K'Andre Miller, Josh Brooks, Nils Lundqvist, Romanov

 

or do we go with the established defensemen in 

 

Matt Dumba, Brett Pesce, Rasmus Ristolainen, Damon Severson, Anthony DeAngelo

 

So, I am not saying any of them are more or less equal to Brock Boeser, nor am I saying that they are all available, and there would have to be some 

 

fiddling of pluses....but some of these guys would certainly up grade our defense now and in the future...……..

 

To me, it is a question, that only a few know...…..I am not one of them, I just ask the questions

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Hey man I like this argument. And i must say you raise valid points. I'm super excited to discuss this. Theres my thinking. Toffoli has been really great for us. 100%. Jim benning hit a home run acquiring him for what he did when he did. However once your season ends I view him as a UFA. You know he want s to go back to LA. So to me I'd rather just sign a UfA RD or a UFA LW than sign toffoli and trade boeser for one. 

 

Cut the middle man out if you will.

Do we? I mean yeah, his wife is from there yada, yada but they're going to be a basement, rebuilding team for a good few years. Does he want to spend the meat of his prime on a basement, rebuilding team? Nevermind whether you've asked yourself if L.A. would even want him back given they're rebuilding.

 

Largely the same in Anaheim (though they're a year or two ahead).

 

Does he want to gamble San Jose can recover from this year and go there?

 

Vancouver might in fact be the best team that's semi-close to L.A. / on the west coast. The Canucks also have a reputation as a solid, first class organization that treats players well and it's a beautiful city. Personally, I think it's a pretty safe bet that we have a very solid chance at re-signing him.

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Do we? I mean yeah, his wife is from there yada, yada but they're going to be a basement, rebuilding team for a good few years. Does he want to spend the meat of his prime on a basement, rebuilding team? Nevermind whether you've asked yourself if L.A. would even want him back given they're rebuilding.

 

Largely the same in Anaheim (though they're a year or two ahead).

 

Does he want to gamble San Jose can recover from this year and go there?

 

Vancouver might in fact be the best team that's semi-close to L.A. / on the west coast. The Canucks also have a reputation as a solid, first class organization that treats players well and it's a beautiful city. Personally, I think it's a pretty safe bet that we have a very solid chance at re-signing him.

Yeah I agree we have a chance at resigning him for sure.  I guess I'm more assuming he wants to go back to LA. More so than others. The way I see it is we have just as good of a chance to resign him as any other team. Hey if we can get him at 6 mill for a 4 or 5 years sure let's do it. 

 

I dont think that gets it done though. He'll likely have better offers elsewhere. 

 

Let me ask you this. Are you willing to give him 8 mill for 6 years? I wouldn't be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah I agree we have a chance at resigning him for sure.  I guess I'm more assuming he wants to go back to LA. More so than others. The way I see it is we have just as good of a chance to resign him as any other team. Hey if we can get him at 6 mill for a 4 or 5 years sure let's do it. 

 

I dont think that gets it done though. He'll likely have better offers elsewhere. 

 

Let me ask you this. Are you willing to give him 8 mill for 6 years? I wouldn't be.

I'm sure if L.A. was closer to a contender, he'd love to go back. They're not.

 

Given the likely cap constraints with the shortened season, how close most teams are to the cap etc, I doubt anyone offers him anywhere close to $8m. He's a +/- 50 point winger, not some PPG phenom.

 

Most of the teams better than us have even less cap space and/or are even further from the West coast. A few teams worse than us might have interest in signing him and have space but again, then he's wasting the meat of his prime on a poor team and/or further from the West coast again.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...