The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Looking at recent Russian forwards that were drafted with high picks, it's kind of baffling how many don't turn out. They obviously have one of the best development programs in the world, but alot of their highly ranked forwards don't pan out.

Notable Russian forwards drafted with high picks:

Burmistrov

Yakupov

Grigerenko

Nichushkin

Filatov

Why would this be? Are they too concerned with playing a certain style and aren't able to adapt to team play? Are they more focused on big bucks than improving their skills? Or is the culture shock just too much for some of them that they can't integrate to North American culture?

Whatever it is it seems to happen alot with the higher drafted players. Egos coming into play perhaps?

That being said one thing that stands out is Podkolzins work ethic. Something Russian players often get criticized for. I don't think he'll have a problem getting minutes if he plays with that kind of motor. So maybe we avoid that whole drama surrounding playing time. He also seems to recognize he has weaknesses in his game as well, so perhaps ego is not a problem. The fact that he has been a captain at various times speaks alot to his chracter too.

I just hope they are patient with him and don't try to force him to be a star too soon. Alot of those previous players had their development wrecked by being rushed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ESPN version of the draft analysis

https://www.nhl.com/video/canucks-draft-f-podkolzin-no-10/t-277350912/c-68506703

Craig Button sees Podkolzin as a Bulldog - needs to mature to do less, because he tries doing too much by himself.  But because the big ice surface requires him to slow the pace of the game down which doesn't suit his game style.  Thinks Vasili will benefit from playing on the NA ice surface where things are done fast.

Bob Mckenzie thinks he could be a steal like Evgeny Kuznetsov and Vlad Tarasenko were taken late in their respective draft years, and Washington and St  Louis had to wait 4 seasons for them to come over, he is positive that the 2 years is all that we will have to wait.

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I like how he says his skating isn't very good and it's something he wants to work on.

That's one of the criticisms of his game. He needs and bit more explosiveness and and lateral agility. His straight forward speed is great however.

A player that is able to identify their weaknesses rather than get defensive are more likely to improve those aspects. I still remember when Gaunce thought his skating wasn't a problem and did little to improve it. Look where that got him.

His top speed/agility can use some work but in many of the clips I saw his first first strides are solid. That is a good base to work with! 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Looking at recent Russian forwards that were drafted with high picks, it's kind of baffling how many don't turn out. They obviously have one of the best development programs in the world, but alot of their highly ranked forwards don't pan out.

Notable Russian forwards drafted with high picks:

Burmistrov

Yakupov

Grigerenko

Nichushkin

Filatov

Why would this be? Are they too concerned with playing a certain style and aren't able to adapt to team play? Are they more focused on big bucks than improving their skills? Or is the culture shock just too much for some of them that they can't integrate to North American culture?

Whatever it is it seems to happen alot with the higher drafted players. Egos coming into play perhaps?

That being said one thing that stands out is Podkolzins work ethic. Something Russian players often get criticized for. I don't think he'll have a problem getting minutes if he plays with that kind of motor. So maybe we avoid that whole drama surrounding playing time. He also seems to recognize he has weaknesses in his game as well, so perhaps ego is not a problem. The fact that he has been a captain at various times speaks alot to his chracter too.

I just hope they are patient with him and don't try to force him to be a star too soon. Alot of those previous players had their development wrecked by being rushed.

Work ethics and attention to defence are the reasons why I'm not worried about Podkolzin not meeting expectation like the guys on that list.

Those players on your list did not play defence, they were extremely talented offensive guys but they obviously thought defence is someone else's job.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

If I had to guess management wanted Zegras or Podkolzin. In that order. They probably backed out of a deal to move up when they caught wind Edmonton and Detroit were coveting D-men. It meant that one of if not both of them would be available at their pick. Maybe I am giving them too much credit but it makes sense when you think about it.

Press saying JB said they had Podkolzin at 8 and surprisingly are wanting to add more forwards not dmen

5 hours ago, Nuck1991 said:

NO FKING WAY...a russian? whyyy?

Some of the best players in the league are Russian, including the the reigning Hart, Ted Lindsay and Art Ross winner. One of the greatest players in Canucks history was Russian, too. Whats with all the Russian hate around here?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BI3KSA- said:

Some of the best players in the league are Russian, including the the reigning Hart, Ted Lindsay and Art Ross winner. One of the greatest players in Canucks history was Russian, too. Whats with all the Russian hate around here?

Shirokov busted, therefore they all suck and are selfish wienies. I hate them. :angry: They are just gonna bail to Russia. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, GoldenAlien said:

Looking at recent Canadian forwards that were drafted with high picks, it's kind of baffling how many don't turn out. They obviously have one of the best development programs in the world, but alot of their highly ranked forwards don't pan out.

Notable Canadian forwards drafted with high picks:

Sam Bennett

Michael Dal Colle

Ryan Strome

Scott Glennie

Kyle Beach

Why would this be?

Perhaps because prospects just bust sometimes. 

Not comparable since ALOT more Canadian players get picked with high picks, and alot more of them do pan out.

You would think on a year to year basis the highest ranked Russian forward would at least become an impact player once and awhile. Doesn't happen that often though. They're often found later in the first and into the 2nd.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Press saying JB said they had Podkolzin at 8 and surprisingly are wanting to add more forwards not dmen

Something tells me he has a plan to add a couple D-men through trade and free agency.

Add one UFA and one trade to Hughes, Juolevi, Stecher, and Tryamkin and you've got the makings of your future top 6 there.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1