On 6/19/2020 at 10:00 PM, lmm said:

You do realize that I was responding to someone who said he is NHL ready now.

With that in mind where does he slot in today, or next season?

Miller                                   Toffoli - unsigned for next year

Pearson                              Boeser

Roussel                               Virtanen

Ferland                                 Motte

Ericksson                             MacEwen

Leivo- still injured

NHL ready means you slot him in there and drop every one else down a notch

Next season will be spent in the KHL, which like i said, is a big contributor to him dropping in his draft. The year after, it’ll all depend on his training camp performance. He has the size and the skill to slot in the 3rd line right away, but he’s got to earn it.  My point was to not underestimate or undervalue him, as he is a top 5 prospect in that draft. He could very well take a top 6 spot right under someone like pearson’s nose, for example. 

• Hydration 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2020 at 7:52 PM, lmm said:

fair enough

you have clearly watched him much more than me.

I do not pay attention to prospects.

I still think the numbers are against him

he is a left shot RW, which in Travis Greens mind means he is a left winger

It might be disapointing to all of us to see him on left wing, no?

there he has Rooster, Ferland  and Ericksson to beat out for minutes

If he does play RW he has Virtanen, Motte and MacEwen to contend with.

How good do you think he is right now?

how much better than those 6 is he?

Wasn't Jake the most NHL ready guy in his class after the top 3?

Virtanen was physically ready for the NHL, his play as a whole was not NHL ready.

Podkolzin is physically ready and has a defensive game that is said to be at a level that will be successful at the pro level already. Much different. He definitely has the potential to be a third line winger right now.

Edited by MrCanuck94

10 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Virtanen was physically ready for the NHL, his play as a whole was not NHL ready.

Podkolzin is physically ready and has a defensive game that is said to be at a level that will be successful at the pro level already. Much different. He definitely has the potential to be a third line winger right now.

Podkolzin's overall game at 18 is likely not far off Virtanen's game last year at 22 IMO.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

56 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Podkolzin's overall game at 18 is likely not far off Virtanen's game last year at 22 IMO.

I agree, seems like a good comparison. Would be interesting to see what his defensive game is at in the NHL and if they would trust him with PK time within his first season.

• Hydration 1

9 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

I agree, seems like a good comparison. Would be interesting to see what his defensive game is at in the NHL and if they would trust him with PK time within his first season.

Now if Pod just works on his skating to get closer to Virtanen's level...B)

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, aGENT said:

sure but Podkolzin seems to be well ahead mentally ( according to Larionov). What springs to mind for me is as Forrest Gump states "Stupid is as stupid does"  :lol: :lol:

Edited by Fred65

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

sure but Podkolzin seems to be well ahead mentally ( according to Larionov). What springs to mind for me is as Forrest Gump states "Stupid is as stupid does"  :lol: :lol:

16 hours ago, aGENT said:

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

Don’t worry, Jake will be traded so it won’t be a fight for a roster spot :)

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

Considering that Jake is just finally showing some indications that he might justify Benning drafting him #6 overall, I have some doubts that Benning will be looking to trade him in the near future.  If one of our top young wingers ends up going for a top young D, my bet would be on Boeser.;)

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Provost said:

I think it would be an interesting line with Virtanen and Podkolzin on the wings and Gaudette in the middle. As a third line, it could be a killer.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Considering that Jake is just finally showing some indications that he might justify Benning drafting him #6 overall, I have some doubts that Benning will be looking to trade him in the near future.  If one of our top young wingers ends up going for a top young D, my bet would be on Boeser.;)

Yeah sorry, I'm with @Provost. As we've been discussing, other than his skating, 18 year old Podkolzin's overall game is about as developed as 22 year old Virtanen's was. He's a ready and waiting replacement on an ELC a year from now.

We don't have a ready and waiting high character, 1st line, 1 shot scorer replacement for Boeser.

That Virtanen has certainly upped his value will benefit us in the trade value return though.

Edited by aGENT

On 6/22/2020 at 10:19 PM, aGENT said:

I don't think that's remotely true.  he looked good, but very very raw in the WJHC

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think that's remotely true.  he looked good, but very very raw in the WJHC

I wasn't specifically talking about the WJ's and I did say 'not far off' which I think is more than fair. Virtanen was still looking pretty 'raw' himself as recently as last year.

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I wasn't specifically talking about the WJ's and I did say 'not far off' which I think is more than fair. Virtanen was still looking pretty 'raw' himself as recently as last year.

He seemingly has come a long way since the WJHC.  I should say I'm thrilled he's in the Canucks org, he's going to be a monster two way player I think.

• Hydration 2

Just now, stawns said:

He seemingly has come a long way since the WJHC.  I should say I'm thrilled he's in the Canucks org, he's going to be a monster two way player I think.

I think with another year in the KHL, in a bigger role, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him show up here next year and look very similar to end of last season Virtanen give or take (probably minus the skating unfortunately).

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think with another year in the KHL, in a bigger role, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him show up here next year and look very similar to end of last season Virtanen give or take (probably minus the skating unfortunately).

agreed, I don't see him spending any time in Utica.  he'll go from the KHL to Van, almost guaranteed

• Hydration 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

1 hour ago, stawns said:

agreed, I don't see him spending any time in Utica.  he'll go from the KHL to Van, almost guaranteed

Was I just wrong to assume, in his case, his time in the KHL will essentially be his stint in the minors? 

• Hydration 1

Just now, Fanuck said:

Was I just wrong to assume, in his case, his time in the KHL will essentially be his stint in the minors? 

pretty much, I agree

I think Benning was right to think it's okay he's going to play in the KHL, because he probably won't need to play in the minors.