The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

sure but Podkolzin seems to be well ahead mentally ( according to Larionov). What springs to mind for me is as Forrest Gump states "Stupid is as stupid does"  :lol: :lol:

16 hours ago, aGENT said:

Podkolzin's overall game at 18 is likely not far off Virtanen's game last year at 22 IMO.

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

Don’t worry, Jake will be traded so it won’t be a fight for a roster spot :)

Considering that Jake is just finally showing some indications that he might justify Benning drafting him #6 overall, I have some doubts that Benning will be looking to trade him in the near future.  If one of our top young wingers ends up going for a top young D, my bet would be on Boeser.;)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Considering that Jake is just finally showing some indications that he might justify Benning drafting him #6 overall, I have some doubts that Benning will be looking to trade him in the near future.  If one of our top young wingers ends up going for a top young D, my bet would be on Boeser.;)

Yeah sorry, I'm with @Provost. As we've been discussing, other than his skating, 18 year old Podkolzin's overall game is about as developed as 22 year old Virtanen's was. He's a ready and waiting replacement on an ELC a year from now.

We don't have a ready and waiting high character, 1st line, 1 shot scorer replacement for Boeser.

That Virtanen has certainly upped his value will benefit us in the trade value return though.

Edited by aGENT

On 6/22/2020 at 10:19 PM, aGENT said:

Podkolzin's overall game at 18 is likely not far off Virtanen's game last year at 22 IMO.

I don't think that's remotely true.  he looked good, but very very raw in the WJHC

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think that's remotely true.  he looked good, but very very raw in the WJHC

I wasn't specifically talking about the WJ's and I did say 'not far off' which I think is more than fair. Virtanen was still looking pretty 'raw' himself as recently as last year.

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I wasn't specifically talking about the WJ's and I did say 'not far off' which I think is more than fair. Virtanen was still looking pretty 'raw' himself as recently as last year.

He seemingly has come a long way since the WJHC.  I should say I'm thrilled he's in the Canucks org, he's going to be a monster two way player I think.

• Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

He seemingly has come a long way since the WJHC.  I should say I'm thrilled he's in the Canucks org, he's going to be a monster two way player I think.

I think with another year in the KHL, in a bigger role, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him show up here next year and look very similar to end of last season Virtanen give or take (probably minus the skating unfortunately).

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think with another year in the KHL, in a bigger role, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him show up here next year and look very similar to end of last season Virtanen give or take (probably minus the skating unfortunately).

agreed, I don't see him spending any time in Utica.  he'll go from the KHL to Van, almost guaranteed

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

1 hour ago, stawns said:

agreed, I don't see him spending any time in Utica.  he'll go from the KHL to Van, almost guaranteed

Was I just wrong to assume, in his case, his time in the KHL will essentially be his stint in the minors? 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

I think Benning was right to think it's okay he's going to play in the KHL, because he probably won't need to play in the minors. 

Actually, last year Benning said, “We’ll sign him and he’ll step right in and play,” the Canucks’ GM said. “He could play right now.”

And Burkie said the same thing at the draft, that Podz was NHL ready when the Canucks drafted him.

They are both pretty good judges of talent, and when they both say the same thing I am inclined to believe them. Despite what a superficial glance at his stats might indicate to those who don't follow our prospects.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

Actually, last year Benning said, “We’ll sign him and he’ll step right in and play,” the Canucks’ GM said. “He could play right now.”

And Burkie said the same thing at the draft, that Podz was NHL ready when the Canucks drafted him.

They are both pretty good judges of talent, and when they both say the same thing I am inclined to believe them. Despite what a superficial glance at his stats might indicate to those who don't follow our prospects.

But when Podkolzin was drafted, Benning was asked about the 2 year contract with the KHL, and said, "Well the way we looked at it, no matter who we picked at that spot probably needed two years of development anyway."

If Podkolzin is ready now, great. He's ahead of schedule. 

2 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

But when Podkolzin was drafted, Benning was asked about the 2 year contract with the KHL, and said, "Well the way we looked at it, no matter who we picked at that spot probably needed two years of development anyway."

If Podkolzin is ready now, great. He's ahead of schedule. 

Context. He was talking about any other alternative pick at that spot would need at least 2 years to develop, so the two year contract or the "Russian factor" did not scare us from the pick. Podkolzin was deemed NHL ready by almost everyone.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2