The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

So we will have a chance to see Podkolzin for a while in the KHL and see how ready he is before free agency starts.  With the NHL not starting until December and the KHL regular season finishing in February, we will also likely be able to get him into our lineup with half or more of the season left next season.

Does that odd scheduling quirk mean the pressure to sign Toffoli is a lot less?  We just have to survive half a season with some combo of Eriksson, Leivo, and Virtanen in that 2nd line spot (whichever guys are actually in our lineup by then).  It is a lot different than just being able to have a KHL player for a few games right at the end of the season like normal.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

So we will have a chance to see Podkolzin for a while in the KHL and see how ready he is before free agency starts.  With the NHL not starting until December and the KHL regular season finishing in February, we will also likely be able to get him into our lineup with half or more of the season left next season.

Does that odd scheduling quirk mean the pressure to sign Toffoli is a lot less?  We just have to survive half a season with some combo of Eriksson, Leivo, and Virtanen in that 2nd line spot (whichever guys are actually in our lineup by then).  It is a lot different than just being able to have a KHL player for a few games right at the end of the season like normal.

Im not a fan of signing Toffoli. To much term and money required with young pros close to needing top 6 spots. Hogs, Podz, Lind?

15 hours ago, costanza7 said:

Think Podz is going to be a real nice compliment to this group....

Another reason why Toffoli shouldn't be a huge priority for the team.

All efforts and any extra cap space should be focused on acquiring a top 4 RHD

(Tanev or Stetches $$ plus Ferlands 3.5 LTIR = RHD upgrade)

*Be great if Seattle would bite on Myers.

Petey  Boes

Miller    Bo   

Podz/Jake/Hogs rounding out the top 6

will be a very formidable top 6 in a couple years.

If Gaudette can continue to improve in 3c role and we can surround him w/some

big tuff fast ELC wingers...Hogs looks to be one.

Wish had kept Madden/McCann/all those 2nds that have wasted for the likes of Baer Vey Gudbranson and Toffoli

All the squandered  Erix/Ferland/Sutter/Roussel/Baer/Beagle $$ coming off in couple yrs

Really see this current teams window beginning in 2021/22 - ??

podz jake and hoglander and gaudette and macewen  make for a crazy top 9 with bo petey boeser and miller. Just let sutter contract expire after next  yr  seattle will get either myers or rousell  at expansion and i could see pearson being traded with demko for a good d prospect or 1st rounder  

On 8/7/2020 at 10:35 AM, costanza7 said:

Petey  Boes

Miller    Bo   

Wish had kept Madden/McCann/all those 2nds that have wasted for the likes of Baer Vey Gudbranson and Toffoli

All the squandered  Erix/Ferland/Sutter/Roussel/Baer/Beagle $$ coming off in couple yrs

Current window begins...

Next week....!

I would rather try to trade one or 2 of Jake, Sutter, Roussel, Erikkson (of course)  along with Benn to get enough space to sign Toffoli and Tanev.

• Cheers 2

18 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Im not a fan of signing Toffoli. To much term and money required with young pros close to needing top 6 spots. Hogs, Podz, Lind?

I’m a bit leery about Toffoli too.

I don’t think he re-signs unless he gets full market rate and fairly long term. 

Of course, COVID-19 and the flat cap have changed things, but still, I doubt he takes a pay cut (from his current $4.6M), so you’re probably looking at something like 5x$5M as a likely starting point. He’s 28 years old, and with age curves being what they are, he likely starts to decline during the term of his next contract. 

He may just be a luxury we can’t afford. 

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Of course, COVID-19 and the flat cap have changed things, but still, I doubt he takes a pay cut (from his current $4.6M), so you’re probably looking at something like 5x$5M as a likely starting point. He’s 28 years old, and with age curves being what they are, he likely starts to decline during the term of his next contract. 

Agreed, if he would take $4.6 for 4 years Id consider it, but the UFA market would really have to be terrible this offseason for him to take that.

That said if a trade of Sutter, LTIR of Ferland or a Retirement of Loui occurred id consider paying up for him again if Tanev and maybe Markstrom are resigned first. 

Ive been wondering if this UFA market may see more short term deals as players and agents are forced to take less for the next few years.

57 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Honestly we got to the playoffs without him. And we won our QR without him. I see no reason to resign him with pod waiting in the wings. 

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Not only that but before getting traded onto a good Vancouver top line Toffoli was about to put up his 4th consecutive sub 50 point season. Now I know the LA Kings are a shade of their former self but Kopitar is still there and managing to produce on that top line. I just hope Toffoli and his agent don’t try to leverage his short stint in Vancouver as he could produce closer to ppg than his last 4 years have suggested. Here’s hoping Benning can get a 3-4 year deal at his current rate of 4.5ish mill because I do think he can be a good complimentary player in our top 6. If it came down to it though I’d rather give the contract to Tanner Pearson if we could only keep one of them moving forward.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Honestly we got to the playoffs without him. And we won our QR without him. I see no reason to resign him with pod waiting in the wings. 

I think the main reason I want him signed is because I sure would be pretty disappointed if all we got from Toffoli was 10 games at the price of Tyler Madden and a 2nd round pick.

9 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think the main reason I want him signed is because I sure would be pretty disappointed if all we got from Toffoli was 10 games at the price of Tyler Madden and a 2nd round pick.

Throwing more assets at something doesn't necessarily fix the problem either though.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Throwing more assets at something doesn't necessarily fix the problem either though.

No it doesn’t but just because we’ve accumulated a plethora of great prospects/assets we shouldn’t take it for granted and waste it on short term bandaids. The pool will dry up really fast this way. Our problem is on quality dmen. We have less assets now to acquire one through a trade if that’s a route Benning wants to take. There are some teams that will be handcuffed with the expansion draft and we could take advantage of. The only dman we really need to protect is Juolevi and Tanev if he’s re-signed. Now without Madden teams will look at Podkolzin as a quality prospect in a return.

9 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

No it doesn’t but just because we’ve accumulated a plethora of great prospects/assets we shouldn’t take it for granted and waste it on short term bandaids. The pool will dry up really fast this way. Our problem is on quality dmen. We have less assets now to acquire one through a trade if that’s a route Benning wants to take. There are some teams that will be handcuffed with the expansion draft and we could take advantage of. The only dman we really need to protect is Juolevi and Tanev if he’s re-signed. Now without Madden teams will look at Podkolzin as a quality prospect in a return.

Podkolzin is our future rw 2.  They can look elsewhere. 

We do have jack rathbone and Brogan Rafferty not far off. 

16 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Not only that but before getting traded onto a good Vancouver top line Toffoli was about to put up his 4th consecutive sub 50 point season. Now I know the LA Kings are a shade of their former self but Kopitar is still there and managing to produce on that top line. I just hope Toffoli and his agent don’t try to leverage his short stint in Vancouver as he could produce closer to ppg than his last 4 years have suggested. Here’s hoping Benning can get a 3-4 year deal at his current rate of 4.5ish mill because I do think he can be a good complimentary player in our top 6. If it came down to it though I’d rather give the contract to Tanner Pearson if we could only keep one of them moving forward.

The playoffs this year is a feature op for the Canuck org in the UFA market. IMHO UFA players will see the talent and want to jump on the bandwagon. Management's challenge will be sifting thru the resumes. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

On 8/7/2020 at 11:35 AM, costanza7 said:

Petey  Boes

Miller    Bo   

I am pretty hesitant when I see people penciling in Hogs. He could be Dahlen level for all we know. He's going to have to prove he can even play at the AHL level first.

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I am pretty hesitant when I see people penciling in Hogs. He could be Dahlen level for all we know. He's going to have to prove he can even play at the AHL level first.

Unlike Dahlen, Hogs' style of play will always make him useful as a bottom 6 player.  Keep in mind that Hogs has been playing in Sweden's top professional leaque for the past 2 season, whilst (22yr old) Dahlen continues to dwell in the lower level SEL.

If Hogs' development continues at a good pace in the SHL, I have no concerns about his performance in the AHL.

I wouldn't be pencilling him into the top 6 within the next couple of years either.  I'm not even certain about the idea of Podz jumping into the top 6 as quickly as others are suggesting.

23 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I was a huge Toffoli guy when we traded for him, and he does make us stronger, short term, but at what cost? With Huggy giving Tanev such a endorsement, and Tanev playing so steady, with no injuries, it is very apparent to me which way we should go...........re-sign Tanev who compliments Huggy..........starting to be a pretty easy call for me lately.

Same goes for the argument with Pods coming on strong........his draft pedigree was 3rd best player in the draft, and fell because he was Russian, makes me feel pretty  fortunate, and with his progression in the KHL, even  more.

I am not sure with with Pods development you want to put any long term money into Toffoli.

As for Toffoli's cost...................it's the cost of doing business, and alot has changed since Benning got him, including a flat cap,  and Covid. You can't blame Benning on that one.

So as much as it pains me to loose assets for free.........this mess has caused us some re-thinking, and will have Benning doing a little re-jigging......

Just got my fingers crossed that Juolevi, Rathbone, Pods, Hogs, Woo and DiPietro can all continue their development in a positive way............

Not to mention, Gaudette, McEwen and Demko (untill he is not)

The younger players call him Dad. I don't think Benning will let their dad go while they're still growing.

Podkolzin will need a dad when he leaves Mother Russia.

Edited by playboi19
  • Cheers 4

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The playoffs this year is a feature op for the Canuck org in the UFA market. IMHO UFA players will see the talent and want to jump on the bandwagon. Management's challenge will be sifting thru the resumes. 

We have zero cap space for UFA's though. (Thankfully, neither does most of the rest of the league).

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Unlike Dahlen, Hogs' style of play will always make him useful as a bottom 6 player.  Keep in mind that Hogs has been playing in Sweden's top professional leaque for the past 2 season, whilst (22yr old) Dahlen continues to dwell in the lower level SEL.

If Hogs' development continues at a good pace in the SHL, I have no concerns about his performance in the AHL.

I wouldn't be pencilling him into the top 6 within the next couple of years either.  I'm not even certain about the idea of Podz jumping into the top 6 as quickly as others are suggesting.

I think Podz could show up a couple months in to next season and comfortably fit on either bottom 2 lines (though I doubt he stays on the 4th long, if he does start there). With potential to move to 2rw the year following (and maybe occasionally as injury fill in etc before that).

Hoglander I wouldn't be shocked to see him make 3rd line next year but I expect one more year of development. Especially with how deep we are at F. Though that starts to open up after next season.