The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

You wonder how much coaches are trying to suppress young stars so they can keep them in the KHL longer.

With revenues down Im sure they would prefer to keep their young studs as long as possible rather than lose them to the NHL. I hope that’s not what’s happening.

On 9/12/2020 at 12:36 PM, Pure961089 said:

By the time the KHL finishes their season the NHL will be starting up.  Podkolzin will slide right into our top 6 and give Petty some muscle on his line.  Pod’s size, grit and being hard as nails added with his offensive gifts will make him the perfect line mate.  

6”3 right now and growing into his massive frame.  He has a Todd Bertuzzi body frame.  He’s going to give defencemen nightmares standing in front of the net.  

There was a tweet that debunked that rumor that he was 6'3/6'4. He's 6'1ish. 

Vasily Podkolzin

Podkolzin had a fantastic second half and playoffs last season and has picked up right where he left off. In five regular season games thus far, Podkolzin has scored one goal and added another assist. This production has come with him seeing regular shifts on the fourth line.

His line was a force for SKA during the playoffs last year and although they are announced as the fourth line, they are playing an important role for the team this season. To start last year, Podkolzin was getting a handful of shifts at the KHL level before being assigned to the second division. Thus far this season, he is seeing regular shifts and averaging 11:47 per game.

What has really stood out about his play this year is that everything that he has done well in the past seems to be turned into overdrive. Driving the net with the puck, using his big frame to protect the puck and create lanes for himself in transition, and an underrated passing game.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-prospects-update/c-319019982

On 9/12/2020 at 6:38 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Can we call his fan club the Pod people?

And his goal song should definitely be a cut off of Ween’s The Pod. I’d suggest playing Captain Fantasy or The Stallion (pt1), ideally uncensored.

Actually, add “The Stallion” and “Captain Fantasy” to his nickname options. :lol:

EDIT: actually, The Stallion Pt2 would be hilarious. Pod scores, weird lo-if music comes on with “For hither not, I am the stallion...”

Captain Fantastic Official Trailer 1 (2016) - Viggo Mortensen, Frank  Langella Movie HD - YouTube

8 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Need him out of the khl ASAP. Kid constantly plays well and makes $&!# happen to get stapled to the bench . 

Because that never happens in the NHL...

He's developed quite well in the KHL thus far. There must be a reason why he was sat for one period beyond the entire league being terrible. Wasn't this the same garbage we were hearing because Pod wasn't playing much to start last season and then he flourished as the season went on?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Because that never happens in the NHL...

He's developed quite well in the KHL thus far. There must be a reason why he was sat for one period beyond the entire league being terrible. Wasn't this the same garbage we were hearing because Pod wasn't playing much to start last season and then he flourished as the season went on?

Yes, it is the same garbage. Last season after the same number of games, he was averaging just over 2 1/2 minutes per game, and if you took out his second game, he was averaging less than one minute per game. This year's average of over 11 minutes per game is a huge improvement and is very reasonable for a teenager in a men's league. Complaining about his ice time at the beginning of last season was silly and it is still silly this year.

• Cheers 3

What does the future hold for the Canucks RWers?

Boeser

Toffoli

Podkolzin

Lind

MacEwen

Lockwood

I can see Podz playing in the bottom 6 for at least his first year in the NHL, but the kid has drive and may earn a top 6 spot after some time. Maybe a Boeser trade happens at that time, right before he becomes an RFA?

35 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What does the future hold for the Canucks RWers?

Boeser

Toffoli

Podkolzin

Lind

MacEwen

Lockwood

I can see Podz playing in the bottom 6 for at least his first year in the NHL, but the kid has drive and may earn a top 6 spot after some time. Maybe a Boeser trade happens at that time, right before he becomes an RFA?

I have a feeling he's going to start on the fourth line to acclimatize him to the North American game and then move him up as he proves ready for more responsibility and ice time.