The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

3 hours ago, CanuckinEdm said:

I think this interview is more about staying to play JR hockey and KHL in Russia rather then the CHL in Canada. 

Exactly.

Podz is coming over.  He wants the NHL and after being drafted here, why wouldn't he want to come back?  Especially when he can make a fortune and help everyone he loves.  

Adventure, money, hockey.... no worries about him coming over.  

I do want to see the Nucks bring back Trymakin or bring in a Russian player to be a support for Vasily.  He is worth the investment.  

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Exactly.

Podz is coming over.  He wants the NHL and after being drafted here, why wouldn't he want to come back?  Especially when he can make a fortune and help everyone he loves.  

Adventure, money, hockey.... no worries about him coming over.  

I do want to see the Nucks bring back Trymakin or bring in a Russian player to be a support for Vasily.  He is worth the investment.  

Ovi?

#99 broke Howe's record vs Canucks .... would be karma if Ovi broke Gretzky's record while playing for the Canucks

47 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Ovi?

#99 broke Howe's record vs Canucks .... would be karma if Ovi broke Gretzky's record while playing for the Canucks

If we signed Ovi Washington Capital fans would declare war on us and send hitmen over! Haha 

@Pavel the Bure thanks for the interview! I really want to go visit St Petersburg one day, looks amazing! 

Alex Ovechkin is entering the final year of a 13 year deal worth $124 million. He is looking for a contract extension that will increase his current cap hit from $9.54 million to roughly $12 million. The Washington Capitals reportedly offered him a deal worth much less, but the parties are likely to reach a deal before his contract expires.

According to RMNB, The Washington Capitals reportedly offered Ovechkin a contract extension worth $9.5 million for a term of 3-5 years. This is a generous deal considering Ovechkin will be 35 at the beginning of his new contract, but he feels that he deserves more. He is rumored to be interested in signing a 3-5 year deal worth $12 million; a salary similar to Connor McDavid.

On 10/9/2020 at 10:05 AM, MikeyD said:

So let me get this straight he isn't going to be a ppg first liner for us off the get go like half of CDC thinks is what you're saying??? 

I've noticed every single post of yours in different threads is always negative. Curious what your name on HF is since you sound like a few of them on there.

As for Podz, who here says he will be a ppg player? I see none of that.

I have watched every shift this kid has played this year and his IQ which BTW is considered by many who have coached him to be a strength and that's something I saw when watching him.

Any line he's been on has absolutely dominated possession wise and the same lines struggle without him.

He has amazing instincts with and without the puck and very seldom makes the wrong play.

His biggest issue pertaining to points is the fact his linemates fudge a lot of his passes.

Most kids struggle with the defensive side of the game and when they are forced to learn their points (Barzel) usually take a hit.

Podz will be able to jump in and be ahead since his D is already great and stands out even in the 2nd best league in the world.

The way I see it his offence will be higher with the Nucks right off the bat since he will be playing with far more talented forwards who will convert the numerous chances he creates with his relentless puck hounding.

• Upvote 1

On 10/14/2020 at 5:16 PM, CallAfterLife said:

I don't think this is anything to worry about. I think his answer has more to do with where he would be if he left for the CHL before his draft year.  When the article says "They should go through it" it translates more into "They could go through it" I think he's basically saying that for him he couldn't handle moving away from home and adapting to a new culture and language. That's really nothing to fault him on. 

I think what a lot of people don't realize as well is the way things work over there are very different. For example, as youths their hockey is State-funded and because of that certain things are expected. Playing international and staying there and playing a couple years for the program that paid for them since they were kids is common practice.

Podz is a loyal kid who instead of coming over for JR, gave back to his club by staying helping them to be successful and did his 2 year term in the K. Imagine if a kid from Canada bolted to Russia at 15-16 to play JR after playing hockey for free including all equipment and travel. It's like a big FU.  It's bad enough the KHL loses almost all their stars to the NHL, it's worse when they don't get at least 3-4 years of MHL-VHL-KHL.

Edited by Alienhuggyflow

8 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I think what a lot of people don't realize as well is the way things work over there are very different. For example, as youths their hockey is State-funded and because of that certain things are expected. Playing international and staying there and playing a couple years for the program that paid for them since they were kids is common practice.

Podz is a loyal kid who instead of coming over for JR, gave back to his club by staying helping them to be successful and did his 2 year term in the K. Imagine if a kid from Canada bolted to Russia at 15-16 to play JR after playing hockey for free including all equipment and travel. It's like a big FU.  It's bad enough the KHL loses almost all their stars to the NHL, it's worse when they don't get at least 3-4 years of MHL-VHL-KHL.

I recall two Czech players who played for Chilliwack had extensive free dental work done, sold their stick and when the team paid for them to viisit home a Xmas never returned :gocan:

Been a rough past two games for Podz.  He hasn't generated many shots and chances like he did in the first few handful of games, in the past two games he has been a -2 and I think only 2 shots.  Typically he generates close to 3-4 per game.  Im sure he will turn it around, but has gone pointless if I recall correctly in 12 games now.  Kid is doing all the right things process wise, the results are just not coming for him.  Albeit a lot of his shots that he generates from his backhand on his off wing.  Needs to generate more shots from the inside.

The addition of Yakov Trenin (NSH) and Vladislav Kamnenev (COL) have further pushed him down SKA's depth chart for now as well.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-prospects-tracker-podkolzin-soldiers-on-tryamkins-block-party?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1603076149

He’s being called a generational talent in Russia.

He’s marketed as a young star, featuring in KHL promotionals and SKA St. Petersburg’s social media feed ad nauseam.

He plays the right way, says the right things and works hard to improve his already well-rounded game.

So when the Canucks’ 2019 first rounder keeps getting buried in the lineup, not seeing the ice when the spotlight is shining the brightest — something’s not right.

The last two weeks went like the first two weeks of the season for Podkolzin, with his strong two-way play standing out despite a limited on-ice role.

In a 4-1 win on October 7 against Metallurg, the 19-year-old had three shots on net and two hits in 11:48 of ice time.

In a 4-3 loss against Dynamo Moscow a few nights later, Podkolzin started strong with three hits in the first period, finishing the game with two shots on goal, one blocked shot and a minus-1 rating while playing just over 12 minutes

This past week, his ice time dipped further in a 4-1 win at Sochi on Wednesday and a 3-1 loss in the Army rivalry game against CSKA Moscow on Friday night.

Against Sochi, Podkolzin had two shots on net and an even rating in 10:47. The 6-foot-1, 192-pound winger had a team-low 8:37 of ice time in the loss to CSKA, though he still had an impact on the game, laying a big hit, drawing a penalty and getting a shot on net on a solo rush up the ice.

“We tried hard, fought on the ice and showed commitment. We conceded a cheap goal in the first period. Nevertheless, everyone displayed effort, we will draw the correct conclusions and fix our mistakes for future matches,” Podkolzin said post game.

When asked about drawing the penalty — which put SKA on a two-man advantage — Podkolzin said: “All of us try to help the team. Everyone has their own roles within the team, some of us try to draw penalties out of the opponents while others score on the power play. Yes, we didn’t score on the 5-on-3, but we did register one power play goal today. We will continue working.”

The problem with Podkolzin’s role is that it doesn’t line up with his body of work so far for SKA.

It was just earlier this year when SKA’s ‘Kid Line’ formed amid much fanfare and on-ice fireworks. Now, former linemates Kirill Marchenko and Ivan Morozov — who are both signed through the 2021-22 season — have moved up in the lineup, while Podkolzin — whose KHL contract is up in April — plays bottom-six minutes, if that.

“I miss a bit playing with (Marchenko) and (Morozov); we found good chemistry together,” Podkolzin told KHL.ru on Friday. “We have our way of playing. But not being always together is part of the game. Nobody promised us that we would play our whole career within the same trio. But it would be great if we had a chance to play together again.”

Here’s hoping head coach Valery Bragin sees this.

“I know him and he knows me,” Podkolzin said, when asked about his relationship with Bragin. Safe to say there’ll be no love lost when he signs with the Canucks at season’s end. Podkolzin has one goal, three assists and a minus-1 rating while averaging 12:25 of ice time in 18 games this season.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Cheers 1

this youtuber I follow from St Petersburg will be live streaming at the game tomorrow at 8:00am I believe. Might only catch glimpses of pod, of at all, but it will be a good way to see the atmosphere at a KHL game.... and Russian cheerleaders maybe!

https://www.youtube.com/c/realrussiablog/featured

Edited by AV's Coin
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AV's Coin said:

this youtuber I follow from St Petersburg will be live streaming at the game tomorrow at 8:00am I believe. Might only catch glimpses of pod, of at all, but it will be a good way to see the atmosphere at a KHL game.... and Russian cheerleaders maybe!

Pretty neat - watching the warm up now!!!

8 hours ago, AV's Coin said:

pretty cool though KHL would not allow something like this.