The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Perhaps its a temporary reset for Podkolzin who has been cold as of late.  But its concerning SKAs treatment of him

Ya , its absolutely ridiculous.  I wonder if it is also because he plans on leaving to play in North American ?

I have full expectation that Bragin will stick to his lines for next game, likely meaning Podz sits out another one.

I have full confidence in Podkolzin's ability, I have zero confidence he will be able to show it the way the coaching staff is managing his icetime.  

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Perhaps its a temporary reset for Podkolzin who has been cold as of late.  But its concerning SKAs treatment of him

Looks like he’s the Russian Virtanen.

Virtanensky

• Haha 2

I think some fans tend to forget that this is a kid who is still just 19 and had been playing in a mens league the last 2 years. He doesn't turn 20 for another 9 months.

We need to temper expectations as he is still a couple of years from where he should be entering his prime. He's physically ready, but he still has a lot to learn about the game overall.

Going to be awesome when he joins Canucks in the spring and we can be more directly in control of his development.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Looks like he’s the Russian Virtanen.

Virtanensky

Maybe the Russian kotkaniemi? Hopefully they give him a few games in the vhl so pod can play some better minutes and come back strong (if getting sat is really due to his play and not politicking)

I do notice that despite his lack of ice time, he hasn't complained yet. He would have every right to, but it shows maturity on his part.

Seems unreal to me he was scratched. Is he really that ineffective?

Edited by kloubek
On 10/19/2020 at 1:43 PM, VegasCanuck said:

I think some fans tend to forget that this is a kid who is still just 19 and had been playing in a mens league the last 2 years. He doesn't turn 20 for another 9 months.

We need to temper expectations as he is still a couple of years from where he should be entering his prime. He's physically ready, but he still has a lot to learn about the game overall.

Going to be awesome when he joins Canucks in the spring and we can be more directly in control of his development.

Would like to see some significant development, We used the " hes still young/late birthday" excuse with Virtanen for too long. The 15th and 20th overall picks from this year (2020) are outproducing him in the KHL and ones a two way Dman. 

• Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Would like to see some significant development, We used the " hes still young/late birthday" excuse with Virtanen for too long. The 15th and 20th overall picks from this year (2020) are outproducing him in the KHL and ones a two way Dman. 

You cant teach hard work, its either in you or its not. Virtanen lacks that on a consistent basis, Podz seems to have that relentless drive inside him. As long as he doesnt stop battling and digging for the puck, he’ll be effective.

Hardwork beats talent any day talent doesnt work hard.

If Podkolzin was floating and not playing 2 way hockey, i’d be concerned.

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I’m far from panicking about Podz and his development...but let’s be frank here...there are signs that his offensive toolbox might be more limited than initially thought. Stats aren’t everything, but his lack of them and his lack of ice time is something to consider. I do think the North American game is a better fit for what skills he does have. Need to get him over here.

19 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I’m far from panicking about Podz and his development...but let’s be frank here...there are signs that his offensive toolbox might be more limited than initially thought. Stats aren’t everything, but his lack of them and his lack of ice time is something to consider. I do think the North American game is a better fit for what skills he does have. Need to get him over here.

Good thing he has a motor and insane work ethic. That alone will get a job on most teams. 

On 10/15/2020 at 5:10 PM, #Canucks said:

Alex Ovechkin is entering the final year of a 13 year deal worth $124 million. He is looking for a contract extension that will increase his current cap hit from $9.54 million to roughly $12 million. The Washington Capitals reportedly offered him a deal worth much less, but the parties are likely to reach a deal before his contract expires.

According to RMNB, The Washington Capitals reportedly offered Ovechkin a contract extension worth $9.5 million for a term of 3-5 years. This is a generous deal considering Ovechkin will be 35 at the beginning of his new contract, but he feels that he deserves more. He is rumored to be interested in signing a 3-5 year deal worth $12 million; a salary similar to Connor McDavid.

Can't blame him. He's been backing up what he's asking for now his whole career. He's never given his due imo. This man has Gretzky's goal record in sights to become the best goal scorer the NHL has ever seen in the most structured hockey ever seen. For my money, he is the best goal scorer ever. Give him what he wants. He said himself he'd rather stop playing in the NHL than just barely hang in anyways. Even if he's adamant on 5 years - and he's deserved it - he'll probably want to leave for the KHL for a couple of years so I don't see him playing too long past his best before date. Here's the craziest part, even in this day and age where everything stops at the bottom line, I'd give him what he wants even if he does slow down in a couple of years.

• Like 1

As I am starting to seeing a little panic in peoples posts

I want to say this now................and I want everyone to remember  this

Podkolzin was ranked as high as 3rd in his draft year, and was take at 10th, mainly due to him being Russian or he may have went higher

We were all pretty happy when he was drafted

Yes, there were a few that wanted someone else, but generally he was welcomed and his post draft rankings were great!

So, I do not want to hear the regular BS, if he has a little trouble. He is 19 and will still be playing in the U20's, if this god damned COVID will let him!

Remember, there is always someone better, and hindsight is 20/20

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

I agree his hands could use a little work but I believe the NA game and rink size will definitely benefit his game much better. He's a 2way bull, a little too aggressive sometimes but he's all heart. I think he projects to be a complementary 45-60 point player in the NHL.

• Hydration 1
46 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Can't blame him. He's been backing up what he's asking for now his whole career. He's never given his due imo. This man has Gretzky's goal record in sights to become the best goal scorer the NHL has ever seen in the most structured hockey ever seen. For my money, he is the best goal scorer ever. Give him what he wants. He said himself he'd rather stop playing in the NHL than just barely hang in anyways. Even if he's adamant on 5 years - and he's deserved it - he'll probably want to leave for the KHL for a couple of years so I don't see him playing too long past his best before date. Here's the craziest part, even in this day and age where everything stops at the bottom line, I'd give him what he wants even if he does slow down in a couple of years.

I agree

• Hydration 1
4 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

You're comparing completely different leagues. He was one of the youngest kids in his draft class.

Virtanen should have been left in junior another year, but Virtanens skill level doesn't match Podkolzin.

He'll be great when he is signed at the end of March or early April.

Podkolzin is playing well in the 2nd best league in the world.  He is proving that he can at the very least be an excellent defensive forward who is a pitbull on the ice.  I do believe that he has a lot more to offer offensively, and that side of his game will come around with consistent ice time and linemates.  

Most of his peers from his draft class will be playing in the NCAA or CHL this season (if they go forward).  Podkolzin would stand out in both of those leagues like a man amongst kids.  He will be fine once he comes over.   Even if he plays a year in Utica to develop in a top 6 role he would be with the Canucks by the time he is barely 21.  He is a unique prospect with a pretty rare skillset, we are lucky to have a player like him in our pool, give him time.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1