41 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I think it's less panic and more frustration. By all accounts, Podz is playing a decent game but still not getting minutes. I hear people frustrated that his coach won't let him play enough to grow as a player.

It would be interesting to see an analysis, in order to confirm this supposed KHL bias, of whether their contract into the next season plays into how much ice-time they get. It seems to be what is exclaimed when minutes are reduced for no apparent reason, but it may just be because we are out of the loop with their actual progress. Not sure if anyone hear has seen enough of his play this year to say whether he has taken a step back in his play or not? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoKnows said:

A little mound in centre ice

Maybe add a “green monster” style wall in front of our home net? Force the visitors to score all their goals in the second period.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Maybe add a “green monster” style wall in front of our home net? Force the visitors to score all their goals in the second period.

I like your thinking

I’ve said it numerous times , they are not developing him properly. We need him under our control before they ruin him.

2 hours ago, MattJVD said:

I think it's less panic and more frustration. By all accounts, Podz is playing a decent game but still not getting minutes. I hear people frustrated that his coach won't let him play enough to grow as a player.

SKA St. Petersburg just doesn't give young players big minutes. When you look at Vladimir Tarasenko's KHL career his TOI on his first team, HC Sibir Novosibirsk, was 18:48 and he was just 1 point shy of being a ppg. When Tarasenko left for St. Petersburg his TOI went down to 14:47 despite him being a ppg player for them. In the playoffs he scored 16 points in 15 games and his TOI was only 12:16.

I think the concern with Podkolzin is both panic and frustration. He's a promising young player that isn't being developed properly and that could lead to stagnation. A lot of Russian players have developed nicely in the KHL but I really can't think of a single one in the last 10 years that developed in St. Petersburg's system. 

This is a good thing.

Lots of players dont like leaving Russia, see Tryamkin for example.

Podkolzin is a gifted athlete, hes not going to lose his skill by being scratched or given 3rd/4th line mins.

It's just going to ensure he comes over when his khl contract is up.

Keep pissing him off St Petersburg and he will come to Vancouver with a chip on his shoulder and more motivation.

• Upvote 1

Pod is going to be just fine. He's got one season left in the KHL where he may not be getting the ice time he deserves but he is still working as hard as he can on every shift he gets and he is still practicing on one of the premier teams in that league. A little adversity at that age can be both humbling and motivating which by all accounts that I have seen from him, he is using to push himself to be better. There is clearly some issue between him and his current coach but at his age and with his work ethic I still think that he is going to come over next year and show why he was ranked as high as 3rd overall in his draft year. Just wait until the WJC, I am expecting him to be one of the best players on the ice in the entire tournament.

2 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

I’ve said it numerous times , they are not developing him properly. We need him under our control before they ruin him.

Yes, many of you were saying that a year ago. And you all looked pretty foolish by the end of the season when his development had become obvious. But sure, why not double down.

• Hydration 1

3 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Pod is going to be just fine. He's got one season left in the KHL where he may not be getting the ice time he deserves but he is still working as hard as he can on every shift he gets and he is still practicing on one of the premier teams in that league. A little adversity at that age can be both humbling and motivating which by all accounts that I have seen from him, he is using to push himself to be better. There is clearly some issue between him and his current coach but at his age and with his work ethic I still think that he is going to come over next year and show why he was ranked as high as 3rd overall in his draft year. Just wait until the WJC, I am expecting him to be one of the best players on the ice in the entire tournament.

Wonder how LE, is handling the adversity of being overpaid, joking aside, (I agree) some adversity is neccessary; like Dipietro with the rough start vs the Sharks only made him focus on what it takes to be an NHL goalie by giving him a taste of the big league.  It really depends on the person.

12 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yes, many of you were saying that a year ago. And you all looked pretty foolish by the end of the season when his development had become obvious. But sure, why not double down.

There has been nothing ideal of how his coach has deployed him this year .. kids need to play and play a lot

There has been nothing ideal of how his coach has deployed him this year .. kids need to play and play a lot

Yes they do, but the KHL is not an NHL development league, like people say about Green here - their job is to win.

if they would rather develop players they know are staying in the KHL that’s entirely their prerogative 

• Upvote 2

Podkolzin could be available to sign and move to North America in March. Nhl or Ahl maybe in JUST mid or early season. So we may see alot of Podkolzin in 2021.

Go Canucks Go

Considering that there is no NHL or AHL play right now, do you have any constructive suggestions as to where he might get to play a lot right now? And I noticed that you chose to ignore the point that last year this time all your armchair GM buddies were saying exactly the same thing you are saying now. Did you perhaps not notice what everybody else noticed, that over the course of the season Pod's ice time, responsibilities and production had all improved substantially?

• Sedinery 1

Podz has appeared in 18 KHL games so far this season.  KHL rosters are huge right now during covid. .  Something like 50 guys have played for his team this year.  Only 2 have played more games than he has.

There is a lot of speculation about his usage but truth is he is getting his share of games. Their system is different.

Edited by fanfor42
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Podz has appeared in 18 KHL games so far this season.  KHL rosters are huge right now during covid. .  Something like 50 guys have played for his team this year.  Only 2 have played more games than he has.

There is a lot of speculation about his usage but truth is he is getting his share of games. Their system is different.

Yes this is true.  He’s played in 18 games so far.  As a comparison Linden Vey has played in only 14 games.  Also, according to the KHL website SKA has a total of 33 players on their roster.  So they obviously rotate players in and out every game.  Pavel Datsyuk, who is the second leading scorer in the KHL, has also played 18 games.  

On 10/16/2020 at 2:54 AM, Alienhuggyflow said:

I've noticed every single post of yours in different threads is always negative. Curious what your name on HF is since you sound like a few of them on there.

As for Podz, who here says he will be a ppg player? I see none of that.

I have watched every shift this kid has played this year and his IQ which BTW is considered by many who have coached him to be a strength and that's something I saw when watching him.

Any line he's been on has absolutely dominated possession wise and the same lines struggle without him.

He has amazing instincts with and without the puck and very seldom makes the wrong play.

His biggest issue pertaining to points is the fact his linemates fudge a lot of his passes.

Most kids struggle with the defensive side of the game and when they are forced to learn their points (Barzel) usually take a hit.

Podz will be able to jump in and be ahead since his D is already great and stands out even in the 2nd best league in the world.

The way I see it his offence will be higher with the Nucks right off the bat since he will be playing with far more talented forwards who will convert the numerous chances he creates with his relentless puck hounding.

I make plenty of positive posts. People just hate the realistic ones. Let's face it, a lot of posters on these forums are ridiculous in their assessments, doubly so for prospects. 

8 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I make plenty of positive posts. People just hate the realistic ones. Let's face it, a lot of posters on these forums are ridiculous in their assessments, doubly so for prospects. 

Oh yeah, that's right, you are one of the "realistic fans". I think that poster was referring to positive posts about members of the Canucks organization, something that we do not see from you. Just to confirm, I looked at your page to check, and did not find a single positive post from you. Just a lot of whining and "stupid face" responses to posts from Canucks fans.